ebaying unopened christmas presents

(82 Posts)
neveronamonday Thu 03-Jan-13 16:09:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EllieArroway Thu 03-Jan-13 16:52:18

Last year there was a really, really stupid one.

Someone was selling a bunch of presents that they claimed were their offices secret santas. Apparently, everyone had bought their gifts as per the rules, but on the day they were going to be given out there was heavy snowfall and no one could get in. So, they all agreed to stick them on Ebay.

Except everything was wrapped in the same paper. Ho hum........hmm

ImperialBlether Thu 03-Jan-13 16:53:43

Note the little disclaimer at the bottom saying "Don't tell me what it was..." Too damn right - should say "FFS Don't email me after opening it, you idiot!"

MrsKeithRichards Thu 03-Jan-13 16:57:02

I once won £2 on a scratch card and sold it on eBay foe £12

Garnier Thu 03-Jan-13 16:58:51

pmsl - ImperialB you are dead right!

MrsKeith - you are kidding?!

GregBishopsBottomBitch Thu 03-Jan-13 16:59:30

I once won £2 on a scratch card and sold it on eBay foe £12

I won £3 on on recently, i might sell it on ebay.

RedTinsel Thu 03-Jan-13 17:01:16

£1200! shock

GregBishopsBottomBitch Thu 03-Jan-13 17:02:08

More money than sense, never a truer word.

scripsi Thu 03-Jan-13 17:02:38

this is just mad. Not the same thing but I once saw someone on ebay selling a single picnic rug (just a tatty pound shop one) for about £250 (identical others were listed for a quid by the same seller) and couldn't work it out. Now I am wondering if it is a moneylaundering thing?

Vagaceratops Thu 03-Jan-13 17:03:45

I dont think they are scams, the seller has good Feedback.

I saw one earlier, she stated she was selling them on behalf of her mother - who had decided this year to sell all her presents and donate the money to charity.

I would feel so hurt if that happened to me because I put a lot of thought and effort into finding presents - and I love watching people open gifts from me and seeing their faces... it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

If someone I was buying a pressie for didn't want one, and wanted to give to charity - I'd gladly donate on their behalf instead of buying a present; but to put thought into something, wrap it beautifully and then have the recipient not even bother to open it. That's hurtful.

A friend once sold his bread clippings for £15 on eBay. We bet him (drunkenly) £20 that they wouldn't sell, and it wasn't a scam by him, he was as shock as we were. and slightly freaked out when packaging it up to send

Some people are mental!

GregBishopsBottomBitch Thu 03-Jan-13 17:05:53

eBay can be a dangerous business, as my mum and stepdad are frequent sellers and they are victims of attempted cons.

Normally, being informed, 5 weeks after item has been shipped, the item has not arrived and are now demanding their money back, even though it was posted, but cant now be tracked after 5 weeks.

Jins Thu 03-Jan-13 17:10:29

Vagaceratops they are probably hacked accounts. The same pictures are being used for a number of accounts.

It really, honestly is a scam

ShipwreckedAndComatose Thu 03-Jan-13 17:10:40

'Ve seen single sprouts up for auction too confused

Oh, and a single sheet of plain A4 paper..

Santasapunkatheart Thu 03-Jan-13 17:11:39

Bread clippings? Do you mean crumbs?

Blimey this is so strange.

Do you think people just want to gamble?

LouisWalshsChristmasCloset Thu 03-Jan-13 17:13:02

Ive done it blush
my very old aunt bought my son a girly watch. Now what am i supposed to do with it? I know no one to give it to and she would be offended if i handed it back to her. I suppose i could dontate the money to her favourite charity

Oblomov Thu 03-Jan-13 17:14:42

This is mad. Or stupid. The people bidding are stupid.

milf90 Thu 03-Jan-13 17:17:14

i must be a horrible person because i am very tempted to do this. i have so much i need to sell and get rid of to make room and this would be a very easy way out to do it!!

im guessing the one over a grand was taking the pee..... the seller will be charged ebay fees too which will be over £100...that could be interesting! karma bites her on the bum lol

RedTinsel Thu 03-Jan-13 17:25:04

Louis - selling unwanted presents is not a problem at all, I do it. These are unwanted unwrapped presents.
Definitely a scam, if you hate you're loaded generous ex so much why not just chuck the stuff out? You can't bear to open them But don't mind spending the money you get for selling them.

It's not horrible and you're not a horrible person to sell unwanted items - what is horrible is not even bothering to open them and see what, if any thought has gone into them...

There's plenty of things I've sold that have been gifts in the past, for example I sold my old nintendo DS (which had been a birthday gift some years ago) when I got a new one...

<disclaimer> unless they were gifts from a creepy ex...

KateShmate Thu 03-Jan-13 17:29:37

Ahh I spent ages looking through these this morning - can't believe the prices some people are bidding up to!

I looked on one listing and they had added at the bottom 'Oh the present in the red paper is from a friend who has just told me it's a bag with with letters 'LV' all over it.. maybe that stands for 'love' or something? Just thought I'd add'
(or something along those lines)
Seriously, who is stupid enough to fall for that!?!

neveronamonday Thu 03-Jan-13 17:36:44

neveronamonday Thu 03-Jan-13 17:39:05

Beaverfeaver Thu 03-Jan-13 17:43:55

Someone on another forum won one of these auctions just before Christmas. Nodded on it as a bit of a joke/experiment.
He paid about £60 iirc.

Anyway, still waiting for him to come back as say if he receied them and if so why was in them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now