to not think this beauty product is a scam? (dark circles)

(122 Posts)
xameliax Tue 01-Jan-13 23:47:42

I have dark circles, and it really is the bane of my life.

I've managed to get rid of the pigmentation through a dermatologist.

They are lighter but still there unfortunately.

I have used countless creams and gels etc and have come to realise that for anything to work it would need to prescribed, not bought over a counter.

However I've done some research and found what seems to be the holy grail. Out of 87 reviews, it has 75 rating it 5 stars.

Should I buy it and see for myself or just think that it's probably just another beauty scam claiming to do something that is pretty much impossible?

theodorakisses Wed 02-Jan-13 10:24:24

Ok fair enough but why the sceptismo faces? It's so tedious. I don't mind what anyone else does but why open a thread and comment just to put someone down? I refer to
"Dark circles are genetic. Just learn to live with them. Mine are a dark purple colour " and "Living life is more important than thinking about under eye shadows" Obviously if the OP didn't care she wouldn't have raised it.

theodorakisses Wed 02-Jan-13 10:26:27

Living life was quite upsetting for me when i used to get comments every day along the lines of "you look awful" and "you look how I feel".
It's not just vanity, it really affected me which is why i feel so strongly about it. And life is so bloody short, what is wrong with wanting to feel better about yourself?

The OP asked for opinions. People gave them. That's all.

What are we supposed to say? I know what you mean about getting really upset about appearance. That's the world we live in and it's shite. So I find it hard to understand why you'd lash out at people trying to put the opinion to the OP that maybe it's an option to say a giant 'fuck off' to all the rubbish making her feel bad about her face?

Personally, when I've got upset about an aspect of how I look, it makes me feel better to know that others look the same and it is normal. I don't know how the OP feels but I'd imagine that is why people are saying that dark circles can be natural.

theodorakisses Wed 02-Jan-13 10:32:13

Look, I apologise for being so defensive but this really affected me. From the age of 12 or so I was subjected to these daily comments and it destroyed my self esteem and was a tool for bullying by a particularly unpleasant boss who told me daily for 3 years i looked like I wasn't coping because I was so tired looking. And the sceptismo stuff is exactly what people used to say to me. Wasn't looking for a fight though.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to feel better about yourself.....obviously!!

I haven't seen anybody put anyone down on this thread to be honest!

That sounds really horrible, theo. I'm sorry you ended up going through that.

I do agree that it's not remotely shallow to be upset by this stuff - it would be a miracle if we weren't, IMO.

I'm just worried that the OP is keen on something that does really look a bit dodgy.

I agree LRD - my only doubt is just because it is so near the eyes...anywhere else and I would say go for it.

I dunno, eyesight is so precious and once it's gone can't get it back.

Theo - I do know what it is like to have a certain area of your body you hate....I have one particular area that I hate hate hate but I am trying slowly to accept it.

Oh, yes, I agree with that betty. I would be really worried about something off the net/marketing itself like this.

If the OP said she had dark circles and felt shite, and what's the best concealer I can buy in Boots, even if some people said 'look, lots of us have them, don't let it worry you', probably no-one is going to say 'concealers are really dangerous and I'm worried about them'. OTOH here it does sound a bit more as if there might be a worry?

I don't wear foundation but on days I think I look tired I put a tiny bit of bb cream on.....I buy one from home bargains, it is £1.99 and is really nice , and no, nobody would say it is dangerous smile

I think things like Botox are best left to the pro's to apply......I wouldn't want to start mucking about anything really strong myself as who knows what you could end up doing. That cream the OP linked looks really strong although in reality, there is probably nothing in it anyway, lol.

theodorakisses Wed 02-Jan-13 10:55:54

I only see a UK registered plastic surgeon for Botox, I wouldn't trust anyone else.
I know what you mean about coming to terms with some things, for years I hated my big Greek thighs and bum, I have come round to the idea that actually I am not that bad and don't want to be a skinny old turkey, just a shame it took such a long time to realise that it's the cut of the clothes that matters, not the shape of the hips.

cardamomginger Wed 02-Jan-13 10:59:12

Why not ask your dermatologist what she/he thinks of the product and whether there is something else they can recommend? I see a dermatologist and she is only to happy to recommend over the counter products when I tell her what it is that I am hoping to achieve. If you are not entirely happy with how much your dark circles have reduced by, have you discussed this with your dermatologist and asked whether there is anything else that can be done?

EmmaBemma Wed 02-Jan-13 11:00:59

"Peptides are the building blocks for DNA"

No they're not? DNA is made of chains of nucleotides with a sugar phosphate backbone. Peptides are the building blocks of protein, which DNA codes for.

That is certainly true, theo! Something cut right makes all the difference.

On the subject, boots used to do a lovely eye moisturising cream with a very slight pinky, pearlescent tint to it. It was cheap as chips, too. I'm really fed up it's gone.

theodorakisses Wed 02-Jan-13 11:13:12

LRD, the breakthrough came when my husband admitted a few years ago that he is a dab hand with the sewing machine after 10 years of marriage! He makes my trousers now with the help of you tube instructions!

grin Oh, nice!

I wish DH could do that but I think it's unlikely to happen.

HannahsSister40 Wed 02-Jan-13 11:16:09

have you tried Boots Perfect and Protect serum, op? It's an excellent product, the best one I've used for instant results. Makes skin look brighter and smoother. Sadly, I don't think you'll get permanent dramatic improvement unless you have plastic surgery on your eyes, but I'd bet my house that the $89.99 serum is no better than protect and perfect!

HannahsSister40 Wed 02-Jan-13 11:17:13

and good makeup. You need a good concealer and a good foundation. Makes a world of difference.

theodorakisses Wed 02-Jan-13 11:22:38

LRD he cuts my hair as well (you tube again) but it has to be kept a secret from his fellow rugby team!

He's perfect, clearly!

Mine isn't useful for any of that stuff but has got the sincere tone and the 'you look lovely, dear, now let's go out' routine down pat.

God, DH cut my fringe once.....with a pair of wallpaper shears........never again grin

(and he had the cheek to moan I was ungrateful) smile

theodorakisses Wed 02-Jan-13 11:32:29

ouch! I do have a small tip missing from my left ear though from the early days..

FromParisWithLove Wed 02-Jan-13 13:39:07

Dark Circles are not just genetic. There are so many different reasons why we get them.

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Wed 02-Jan-13 13:42:29

I have always had purple under eye shadows. It's a bit crap really. But I don't know any topical cream which would reduce them. Bags and fine lines - yes, perhaps, but not the shadows imo.

I just spend a fortune on concealer.

ICBINEG Wed 02-Jan-13 14:04:45

Wow. Well I just read the research paper on Argeline and all I can say is that I would NEVER put that shit on my ACTUAL FACE.

So "DNA precursor pool" refers to the amount of DNA bits of the 4 main varieties hanging around in your cells. If you upset that pool by adding or removing from it then your DNA replication goes less well because your DNA code is set up expecting the right pool levels. So it beats me why anyone would fuck with that.

flowerytaleofNewYork Wed 02-Jan-13 14:13:16

I have dark circles as well, which I mostly put down to tiredness.

I hated them and worried about creams etc for a while.

Now I have finally got a really decent concealer and they don't bother me in the slightest any more as they are only visible to DH and anyone who sees me before I've put make up on.

Get a really good concealer that actually really covers them up and actually matches your skin tone and you're laughing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now