to ask at what age should a woman no longer have long hair?

(113 Posts)
AuroraRedRose Tue 01-Jan-13 21:53:10

I love my long hair and right now in my life mid-20s I wouldn't dream of getting it cut.

I had it shoulder length once and it made my face look fat. Seriously.

But is there an age where long hair on a woman really isn't suitable or perhaps would be considered as a little mutton dressed as lamb kind of thing?

AuroraRedRose Tue 01-Jan-13 22:04:18

*read not ready

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Tue 01-Jan-13 22:04:31

Phew - I opened the thread with one eye closed knowing how harsh MN often is about these things grin

Mind you, I suspect it would get a different response in Style & Beauty

CloudsAndTrees Tue 01-Jan-13 22:05:39

I've wondered about this because I have long, very curly hair, and it has looked the same since I was about 13. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it when I get old, it's too thick to do a sophisticated up do every day because its quite heavy. All the older people I know who have curly hair just let it go frizzy and sticky outy, and I refuse to allow that to happen!

Spikey is right, there comes an age where hair does need more effort or it just looks a mess.

LilyVonSchtupp Tue 01-Jan-13 22:13:17

"It was an article I read by Liz Jones"

YABVVVVVVVU

Pagwatch Tue 01-Jan-13 22:16:00

Liz Jones?

Dear God. Are we supposed to take what she types seriously now?

QueenofPlaids Tue 01-Jan-13 22:28:07

It's totally individual. My soon-to-be MIL has long hair in here 60s, usually wears it up & it suits her.

My mother's is fine and she has it blonde to it's hard to keep in tip top condition, so slightly shorter is better.

I am currently growing mine (or trying to) in my early 30s and was shock and hmm when the hairdresser said that of course I'd stop soon, because it would look ridiculous. I reckon she was jealous of my awesomeness. I changed hairdresser grin

Seriously though, get a hair cut that suits your face shape and length is not the most important factor. Good condition, a colour that suits if you choose to colour and a decent cut are far more important IMO.

Rhubarbgarden Tue 01-Jan-13 22:35:39

Ditto phew at these responses.

Feminine Tue 01-Jan-13 22:47:30

Cutiecat Tue 01-Jan-13 22:52:46

I think a few of my friends have had a 'do' now they have past 40. I do not intend on changing my hairstyle because of my age, I don't think anyone should.

3smellysocks Tue 01-Jan-13 22:53:36

I am in my mid 40's and have just had my hair cut into a funky bob. The main reason was nothing to do with age but to do with face shape. I realised that of all my photos over the years, I looked best with choppy bobbed hair.

Viviennemary Tue 01-Jan-13 22:54:53

It entirely depends on the person. Some older women can carry of long hair. And long stringy unkempt hair looks awful on anybody whatever their age.

oldraver Tue 01-Jan-13 23:03:00

Whenever she wants. I'm a 'cant be arsed to cut my hair' person so probably wont be cut short for while.

My Mum has had the 'older woman shorn at the back, little sideburns, and layered flicky up bits at the front' hairstyle... for years

TheHoneyDragonsDrunkInTheIvy Tue 01-Jan-13 23:11:01

Oth the ages at which a woman should not read Liz Jones are from birth to death.

As long as she likes! smile

Long hair on some women looks lovely, whatever the age. Others always look better with their hair short. I think it's a matter of what's comfortable - if someone is uncomfortable it really shows in how they act, so it's not worth going for a style you don't actually like, just because you think you ought to do it.

SinisterBuggyMonth Tue 01-Jan-13 23:25:27

No

My Nan had beautiful long silver hair. It was unusual amongst a sea of short perms. I'd like mine like hers too when I get old, although as she never dyed hers I will never mimic the lovely condition.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 01-Jan-13 23:31:59

It's more to do with the condition of the hair than the age of the woman I think.

I have really long hair,I can imagine getting it cut when I'm older but I'm thinking to shoulder blade length. Couldn't have it shorter than that,I've been there and done it. More than once. Hated it every time!

EweBrokeMyManger Tue 01-Jan-13 23:34:36

I am going to continue to channel Patti Smith forever. HTH.

cynner Tue 01-Jan-13 23:36:03

I have wild unruly to the middle of my back..i love my hair..I never plan to cut it..

sashh Tue 01-Jan-13 23:45:14

EnglishGirlApproximately

How much are you having cut off? Can you donate your hair?

www.littleprincesses.org.uk/

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 01-Jan-13 23:50:01

myy hair defo looks better longer. its now well past my shoulders and makes me look younger.

my nan had hers long and looked so glam - it was either wavy like the 50s film stars or when it was longer she wore it in a bun and still looked fabulous.

mine looks shite short.

Darkesteyes Tue 01-Jan-13 23:51:46

Im 40 in June but in the past year ive been growing my hair so its down my back. Its long thick dark and in good condition. i do have it coloured at the salon. (my luxury. i used to spend the money on cigarettes before i gave up.) so there is no way im cutting it. Its one of my better attributes.

Startail Tue 01-Jan-13 23:53:16

I refuse to become a WI short grey permed clone.

Mine is longish and scruffy and that's the way I like it.

I'm 45 and I'm sure my DSIS thinks it should be cut (DSIS has slightly wavey hair that has always been short and looks nice) mine looks like it's been cut round a basin and is awful short. It was short until I was 16 and I hated it!

I should add that I've been a member of the WI for around 12 years and I'm still the youngest and they are great fun despite their hair does.wink

Santasapunkatheart Tue 01-Jan-13 23:54:30

Bugger rules.

Double bugger anything twaddle uttered by Ms Jones.

When I am old, mine will be purple.

Wallison Tue 01-Jan-13 23:55:53

Is there anywhere you can look on the net for updos or styles for long hair? Mine is really thick and curly and tbh I'm thinking about getting it cut just because I keep on scraping it back in a ponytail and it's a waste (and looks boring and ageing).

DrRanj Tue 01-Jan-13 23:56:14

Doesn'tiz jones have long hair though? She looks like an old witch, perhaps she should take her own advice!

I am 30 and I have often pondered this. I like my hair long, it slims my face, and if I have it short I look old frumpy and mumsy.

So I'm going to wear it long for as long as I can!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now