Waitrose

(67 Posts)
velveteenmummy Tue 01-Jan-13 13:27:53

Waitrose, well...I refer in particular to the indian ready meal range, yuck, I challenge them to do better. I was breifly (so don't shoot me if this thread has ran already) looking at previous threads on subject and in 2010 it was thought pretentious by some to shop there. It used to be so good I am really dissapointed now, especially after spending extra money on christmas treats just to be dissapointed. I used to look forward to spoiling myself occasionally in waitrose. AIBU to not shop there again.

I went for the first time on Hogmanay. After reading about them on here I thought I wouldn't be able to buy anything.

It worked out way cheaper than going to my local co-op. hmm

Their mini meals are gorgeous.

Busyoldfool Wed 02-Jan-13 22:35:18

I'm a Waitrose fan too. Rarely have a problem and like shopping there. Nice staff, lovely people directing traffic in the car park so never an aggressive battle for a space; polite assistants who say please and thank you, short queues.... Makes me happy not stressed.
BUT the biggest thing is that they treat their staff right; they employ locals, they train people, they contribute to the community both by direct donations to local charities and doing things like having the local primary school on a visit to learn about fish, or allowing the schools to sell fruit and veg from their allotment.

People on here were rightly very angry about slave labour rates and Workfare and the non-payment of tax and are always quick to talk about maternity rights and family friendly employers - but it costs money to do the right thing.

No excuse for poor service though so complain if you get it and give them a chance to put it right.

OhMerGerd Wed 02-Jan-13 08:30:48

Waitrose is lovely to shop in... Youre paying the extra for helpful staff and tidy clean environment ... which is nice as a treat but not justifiable for us at the moment for everyday.

However I do pop in at least once a week to see what's reduced on the meat counter and you can'tget that with the online shop.

If it doesnt have the red sticker on you won't find it in this house. Better quality than othersupermarkets and we love those forgotten cuts they do at the butcher section. Our freezer is full at the moment with lots of cuts that were not popular in run up to Christmas. Mince, chops and lamb shanks (I got eight big ones for under a fiver). Just meal planning around what we got now probably until mid feb...

Ready meals are not great though... Bought some of that Mexican range once because it was very reduced to 30p type prices but it didn't even seem a bargain at that price.

ElenorRigby Wed 02-Jan-13 08:23:16

We actually mostly shop at Aldi and get the items we cant get there from lovely Waitrose.

I love Waitrose, amazing customer service and quality food.

I drive past 2 Tescos, a Sainsburys and an Asda to shop there.

I was in the camp that Waitrose was hugely expensive with snob value. Not any more though!

It's mostly cheaper than Sainsburys and Tesco whilst you get treated like a human being by their excellent, helpful staff.

Shopping at Tesco's feels like cattle class, I said enough with Tesco after I popped in for one item. I was left queuing for 20 mins to pay! Horrid.

I love Waitrose too, I've been using Ocado regularly for two years with very few problems (they did have a spell a few months ago of being late) - my Dec 23rd order arrived on time with no missing items or substitutions. A Waitrose opened up a few months ago which is on my way home from work so I do most of my top up shopping there now, it us lovely. Quiet, spacious, helpful staff, good quality food.

outtolunchagain Wed 02-Jan-13 07:42:31

Have to admit I am a Waitrose fan if shopping in the store , although I am lucky enough to live in an area where I get most of my veg from the farm shop and meat from the butcher.Our local Tesco has had persistent hygiene problems which has put me off ( think mice in the veg aisles) and Sainsburys is just heaving all the time.

I also only use Ocado for online shopping, mostly because of the one hour delivery slots and the fact that you don't have the problems of store picking. I have hardly ever had any substitutions and most are logical if they happen ( apart from parsley for coriander?), also they text a couple of hours in advance to tell you the substitutions.

Haven't tried the ready meals much though so can't comment on those

Are any supermarket's Indian ready meals any good? I imagine they struggle to match takeaway taste as the nutritional label would make you go shock if they used as much ghee. I imagine it would also be hard to mimic home cooked Indian cookery too.

Ruprekt Tue 01-Jan-13 22:42:57

I heart Waitrose!

The reductions are amazing! We only eat reduced food now and have saved a fortune.

The staff are lovely and the shopping experience is pleasant.

The indian ready meals are not brilliant but everything else is!

SoupDragon Tue 01-Jan-13 22:37:45

Aren't online orders taken in to consideration when the shops place their orders?

No. And you'll find the same problems with every supermarket doing online deliveries which are picked from the store.

My local Tescos used to be pretty good once all online deliveries were picked from a separate warehouse rather than the store.

OP, feel free not to shop there any more. It's your choice after all. Although I'm not entirely sure what your exact problem is from your post.

LydiaDeetz Tue 01-Jan-13 22:28:36

We had some waitrose dim sum on new year's eve- I bit into it and discovered a whole blue elastic band shock DP will be taking it back tomorrow. Feel sick thinking about it. Shame as I like their ready meals.

elizaregina Tue 01-Jan-13 22:14:54

I have also found the indian meals range poor - but love thier thai - i think they do a good thai green/red curry and also the prawn laska soup...

not soo keen on thier chinese either - prefer m&s ready meals on the whole....

my local waitrose is excellent though its a pleasure not a chore to shop in, the staff have always been the bench mark of excellence I wish everyone rolled out thier training program, i have only ever had issues - with on line service....and central customer service call centers...

also when i have had a complaint they are usually focused on customer satisfaction...when i have had the odd problem - ie - flakey smoked salmon for xmas day - they have refunded me money and given me several packs of salmon.

the reductions in waitrose are fantastic - i shop at all the supermarkets but do bulk of shopping at WR BECAUSE i get SO MUCH reduced to fab prices...

frillyflower Tue 01-Jan-13 21:11:52

Yabvvu. Waitrose is great. It happens to be our nearest supermarket but honestly I find it hard to shop anywhere else.

The quality and range is great and the customer service is v. good.

I never have food from there that has gone off the next day (morrisons and marks and spencer I am looking at you).

AwkwardPenguin Tue 01-Jan-13 20:12:45

YABU one of the reasons I bought my house is that s near to the most FANTASTIC waitrose blush

Ocado seems a safer bet than Waitrose as they can really control their stock, whereas Waitrose has smallish stores with shoppers walking around and choosing things they want off the shelves, so it is harder for them to control their stock levels.

FestiveElement Tue 01-Jan-13 18:49:07

I like Waitrose. Waitrose and M&S are the only supermarkets that sell decent meat that doesn't seem to be covered in fat and gristley bits.

Plus they are my closest supermarket, and while I think they are more expensive, their essentials range is the equivalent of the finest/taste the difference ranges in Tesco or Sainsburys, which is what I'd buy if I was in those supermarkets. I think any money I saved in Tesco or anywhere see woudo be cancelled out by the petrol I had to use to get there.

Kinnane Tue 01-Jan-13 18:27:18

I once had a missing order from M&S -to fill the missing order they gave us so much - just about anything we wanted in the food hall smile plus two bottles of wine - all totally free.
I love Waitrose too but think their ready meals are not as good as M&S.

Santasapunkatheart Tue 01-Jan-13 17:30:49

Like all supermarkets, they do some things well and other things not so well. Their Indian food has improved a little but it's still shockingly poor.

If you shop well then it doesn't have to be more expensive. I like their Brie and I have tried lots of other Brie.

I don't spend money on some things - I don't generally drink or smoke etc. I have always been fussy with food.

For me it's not snobbery - just a preference.

But yes, Indian food is awful. (I come from an Asian family)

Notcontent Tue 01-Jan-13 17:18:51

YABU to expect a ready meal to be nice!

I shop at Waitrose but I inly buy basic, fresh ingredients. That's pretty much why i shop there. I am far from wealthy.

I went into an Iceland for the first time ever the other day and struggled to find anything edible. They had some great deals on toothpaste, paper towels and lots of chocolate bars, but nothing I actually consider to be food.

PrincessAnastasia Tue 01-Jan-13 17:04:48

I love Waitrose. Although it is overpriced.

It's just generally a nice and quiet supermarket and I don't feel stressed out.

The Asda thats close to me I get an instant headache every time I walk in, over crowded, people in a rush, banging into you.

Waitrose is just generally a more pleasant experience.

AmberSocks Tue 01-Jan-13 17:04:39

i love waitrose,you can get certain ingredients in there that you cant in other shops,but i dont eat ready made stuff so cant comment on that.

Mrsrudolphduvall Tue 01-Jan-13 17:02:02

I am a Waitrose stalwart, but don't like the Indian range. I like the M and S one, especially the chicken saag.

But then I don't buy ready meals generally.

Iggly Tue 01-Jan-13 16:02:53

Tescos is full of food which goes off as soon as you pass through the doors. It's happened far too many times with their chicken that I refuse to shop there.

Sainsburys used to have shitty stock levels on a Saturday morning FFS.

M&S food is rubbish for dairy intolerant people - they shove butter in everything.

So we go to Waitrose. It's just better. Doesn't get everything right but more than the rest.

chris481 Tue 01-Jan-13 15:59:29

The supermarket at the end of my road is Waitrose. They got off on the wrong foot with me when they "redecorated" after taking over the shop from Safeway/Morrisons. Safeway had redecorated just a few years earlier, with lovely dark real stone floors in the drink section, real wood elsewhere, quite posh actually. Waitrose redecoration was a huge downgrade to a plainer more functional look.

Apart from that, whenever I buy a loaf of sliced bread, even though I search through several brands/types to get the longest date, the odds are 50-50 that when I get it home and open it, it's so dry that even on the first day it's only fit for toast.

We don't ever do our main shop there, wife insists we get in the car and drive to Asda.

mrsjay Tue 01-Jan-13 15:58:43

YABU

Some of us live 70 miles from a Waitrose.

ours opens middle of january supposedly was meant to be this week I am doing a bus will take names nearer the time grin

lurkerspeaks Tue 01-Jan-13 15:54:22

I don't know where there is a lidl near me. Supermarket options are Waitrose - closest and quiet. Or Sainsbury's which is recently extended and now too big a store to get round easily (used to be my first choice) or Morrisons (never go there).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now