To think Angel Clare is a hypocrite

(33 Posts)
SinisterBuggyMonth Tue 01-Jan-13 12:33:44

Just watching Tess of the Durbevilles repeat on Sony channel. The fireside confession aftermath just makes me wish Tess would stand up and tell him to shove it. She was raped FFS. He got seduced by a cougar. He's a Twat.

Greythorne Tue 01-Jan-13 12:34:46

Yes. He is.
But Hardy meant him to be one. It's the point if the book, that what Tess does is socially unacceptable, but men can do it just fine.

Greythorne Tue 01-Jan-13 12:34:55

Of the book

SinisterBuggyMonth Tue 01-Jan-13 12:53:17

I think what irritates me is Angel Clare portrays himself as a bit of a free thinker to win her over. And she understandably falls for it.

Dp was a bit suprised to see me shouting "Bastard!" at a costume drama.

LizzieVereker Tue 01-Jan-13 13:04:45

I know, he's a knobber. He is high on my list of "fictional characters who need a kicking". Also on the list are Hindley Earnshaw from WH (when he drops little Hareton over the banisters in a drunken stupor!) and Mr bloody (oh dear, I seem to have accidentally forgotten my poor unwell first wife) Rochester.

LizzieVereker Tue 01-Jan-13 13:06:48

Ooh I forgot the horrendous Uncle Ralph Nickleby. I'm quite fictionally riled now.

Whatdoiknowanyway Tue 01-Jan-13 14:32:53

Angel riled me much more than any obvious fictional villains. So unjust, hypocritical - I shout at the screen/mutter at the book too. Bastard!

manicbmc Tue 01-Jan-13 14:34:52

I studied it for A level many many years ago. I could not stand that man but also could not stand Tess either. I had many an argument with my English teacher over why she was such an utter doormat.

EmmaBemma Tue 01-Jan-13 14:37:00

LizzieVereker! My favourite character in my favourite book. Good name.

Yes, Angel is supposed to be a shit. I hated him too - that book made me so angry.

CockyPants Tue 01-Jan-13 14:38:50

I can't stand Tess of the Dubs. All the characters are awful, especially the men. Tess could do with a slap too.
Thomas Hardy should be shot.

manicbmc Tue 01-Jan-13 14:40:42

I love all of Hardy's other books. It's just Tess I can't be doing with. Awful, tedious tome.

DonderandBlitzen Tue 01-Jan-13 14:40:59

Maybe he had a hard time at school on account of being called Angel Clare. wink

WatermelonSugar Tue 01-Jan-13 14:54:58

He was so awful to Tess, I could never forgive him. I still feel almost personally let down by him. And doesn't she encourage him to marry her little sister at the end? Poor deluded woman. She was so downtrodden I don't think she even got to enjoy stabbing the ghastly Alec.

Suspect he did have a rough time at school though. I'd never appreciated that before. Poor lamb.

JustAHolyFool Tue 01-Jan-13 15:05:54

The point of pretty much all Hardy books is that everyone in the whole world is a hypocritical shite. I bet he was a laugh at parties.

Jude The Obscure is just as bad. Sue leaves poor old Jude, because she has to get married (to an arse) because it's socially acceptable. But instead of going "but forget me, Jude, I'm a twat" she has to leave him hanging onto the hope that she'll come back.

But that's what people do in real life most of the time, isn't it? Because people are selfish.

Hurrah for Thomas Hardy! Hurrah!

DonderandBlitzen Tue 01-Jan-13 15:16:04

This thread had made me want to read some more Hardy. Have read Tess, The mayor of casterbridge and Far from the Madding Crowd. (One of my fave books ever.) Not read any others though.

Lara2 Tue 01-Jan-13 16:24:13

YANBU - Angel Clare is a complete twat who needs a good slap. But I've always thought that about Lucie Mannette (sp) in A Tale of Two Cities. She was not worth dying for silly cow!

Yes - that's sort of the point.

He is JUST the kind of man to wear a cabbage leaf on his head too - twit. smile

Loved 'Tess' when I was 16 - can't blooming stand Hardy now.

NinaHeart Tue 01-Jan-13 16:37:49

Totally agree. This very argument made me so angry at age 16 that I changed from doing Eng Lit A level to Art.
She should leave the bastard.

He belongs on a list of literary characters who need a good slapping. Madame Bovary too. And Torvald from A Doll's House. And Hedda Gabler. And Romeo.

Mockingcurl Tue 01-Jan-13 16:45:47

Apparently (my favourite word btw). It is a modern day interpretation of the book to think that Tess was raped. Contemporary readers felt that she was a willing participant. Angel Clare was therefore quite within his rights to see her as a brazen hussy.
Just saying.

MogTheForgetfulCat Tue 01-Jan-13 16:45:52

Yep, total hypocrite. And is a total arse to Tess. Buuuuut - he is called Angel <swoons>

NinaHeart Tue 01-Jan-13 16:48:14

Mockingcurl, wouldn't contemporary readers have come to that conclusion because in those days the woman was always to blame? Evil seductresses that we are, wearing DRESSES and all that....?

Hassled Tue 01-Jan-13 16:48:45

Tess is one of the books where no one is actually very nice at all, and because I need some degree of emotional investment in my fictional characters, I ended up feeling a bit ambivalent. And ditto Far From The Madding Crowd - Basheba's a fool.

PilotRochester Tue 01-Jan-13 16:49:16

Complete shit bag!

EmpressMaud Tue 01-Jan-13 16:53:43

Yes, of course he was.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now