Is it just me or is that Disneyland Ad designed to make you feel like an utter bastard for not taking your children there?

(164 Posts)
DoctorAnge Sun 30-Dec-12 22:10:15

This is meant to be lighthearted but no other advert for anything makes me feel this way. Esp if you watch it with your children present; The lifting, swelling, string music and the look of joy and glee on the children's faces and smug contentment of the parents. To top it off it's a "thank-you" to all those wonderful families who let Disneyland share in their celebrations at the time they told their children of this holiday. Surely they are actors?

Although I completely see why you would want to go there and maybe it is a nice family break this advert irritates the hell out of me. It's more that just presenting an attractive product or aspiration, it makes you feel..bad somehow for not doing something amazing for your children, and Disneyland is very, very pricey.

Maybe IABU? - post Chrstmas burn-out grin

Sevenmilebeach Tue 01-Jan-13 13:28:43

Oops should have said - we've just returned from Disneyland Paris ( our first visit) and it was not at all what I was expecting - the service was very, very poor compared to the US parks and the Cruise line. If that had been my first experience of Disney I would probably never have returned.

trapclap Tue 01-Jan-13 13:38:40

I don't understand how kids would have such an excited reaction confused How do they even know what Disneyland is??? Or what is there? Not even sure I know myself actually, now I think about it....isn't it just like a big theme park/ fairground?

FeckOffCup Tue 01-Jan-13 13:46:00

I didn't find a problem with people being rude or queue jumping in DLP, but we went at a quiet time so there weren't many queues anyway. I do agree the hotel service isn't as good as it could have been, we had to ask at reception and then phone housekeeping twice to get our travel cot that we had requested on booking and there weren't any tea/coffee making facilities in the room so the hotel wasn't as good as the ones in the USA but it wasn't terrible, it was clean and the room was nice and big.

crashdoll Tue 01-Jan-13 14:11:40

I don't know how on earth anyone could have not queued for more than 15 mins for anything. For some very popular rides, I waited about 15/20 mins with my disabled priority card. Fortunately, most of the waiting areas had benches. One area did not and we had to give that ride a miss.

Sevenmilebeach Tue 01-Jan-13 14:22:20

Crashdoll was that at Disneyland Paris or WDW? There really is no need to wait in queues at WDW but it does take a wee bit of planning I.e. pick a quiet time of year, stay in a Disney hotel and make use of extra magic hours and soft opening times, also there are some good touring plans that predict well the busy park days and make optimum use of fast passes. I don't do queues well and avoid where possible - we book character meals instead of waiting for autographs etc ( luckily DD is too old for that now smile). Not sure how it works at DLP as we didn't do many rides when we were there but I was surprised to see the wait times were very long compared to what we were used to at WDW.

Hulababy Tue 01-Jan-13 14:22:22

Find DLP much busier, longer queues and more issues with queue jumping than in Florida - maybe over in the US there are just so many more parks to go to, not everyone trying to go to just the two parks.

But some days are busier than others and the queues reflect this.

I have just, 5 minutes ago, bought the park tickets for our Florida trip at February half term. Have only ever been in the July/August heat before. Will then use the websites to plan our trip in terms of which parks on which day - using stats they colour code days as to which is busiest and when. We are only there for a week this time - so have 6 full days, 6 days of park tickets and 6 parks to go to - so need to plan a little bit.

We like it. I personally don't enjoy a laying on a beach/by a pool holiday. DD doesn't really like beaches. Also, as an only child, we need to be doing stuff to keep her entertained too = now in Florida this is a doddle as she loves the rides and shows. We do lots of other types of holidays too, but she does love the parks.

Dh was very sceptical before our first trip. He had to really be persuaded into it and we only really went as we went with family, had it been just us we'd have not got him there. But once there he was very surprised and had a great time, and now doesn't mind returning.

Likewise there is no way ever my PILs would have ever entertained a trip to Disney beforehand. However we went to France last summer with them and we persuaded them to do 3 nights at DLP at the start. They were more sceptical than DH had even been. They had never even been to a theme park in the UK before, let alone DLP. But you now what? They really enjoyed it. They went on some rides, they loved the shows and the parades and above all loved watching DD enjoy herself too. And DD in return loved watching their first expressions of Disney.

So - if you have never been - well, you never know do you?
But if you also have been and don't like it - fair enough. Everyone is different and like different things. But it doesn;t mean those who do like it are wrong either. Each to there own and all that.

yohohoho Tue 01-Jan-13 14:26:26

crashdoll no queue in January.

Hulababy Tue 01-Jan-13 14:28:36

Couldn't care less if some people thing it is wrong of me and my family to enjoy a trip to Disney and Universal. We enjoy it. I'm not forcing anyone else to go.

Some people like laying by a pool at an all inclusive holiday fun - I don't particularly so don't go.

Some people like whole holidays on a beach - I don't.

Some people thing a camping holiday is fab - it would not be idea of any form of holiday what so ever, so I don't go on camping holidays.

Each to their own. You are not wonderfully moral and upstanding just because you like a different type of holiday. You are just different to me. So what?

Me - well we love our holidays so try to go on a few each year, generally a mix of everything for everyone. But more about getting out and about and doing stuff than laying around catching sun rays.

Sevenmilebeach Tue 01-Jan-13 14:30:32

Hula baby - am jealous, we're not back until October sad
Was hoping to talk DH into going at Easter but my cousin has just announced she's getting married in Cyprus so there goes the holiday budget ( just as well I love her lots!)

Hulababy Tue 01-Jan-13 14:32:59

DH gets a touch of SAD or whatever it is in the winter, especially grey wet ones like this. So some winter sunshine - and tbh not that much different to what we paid for a week in the Canaries last February.

DD can't wait to go back to Wizarding World - she has lots of pocket money saved up from past few months, ready to add to her Harry Potter collection.

KittyFane1 Tue 01-Jan-13 14:40:16

I think Disney should have used this family to advertise!

diddl Tue 01-Jan-13 14:48:13

That´s hilarious.

Would be my reaction tbh!

KittyFane1 Tue 01-Jan-13 14:53:31

Chattanooga tourist board should use this one

MrsJREwing Tue 01-Jan-13 15:47:47

We went when the dc were preschool to DLP and had a lovely time.

We went to DWF when the dc were in Secondary school it was much better and fantastic setup for me as a reduced mobility lone parent.

I found the staying on site and extra hours meant no queing, we went to Magic Kingdom on Xmas day last year and were done by 9.30am. The dc went on loads of rides, pirates of caribean, cars, pictures in pixie hollow with Tinkerbelle never too old all sorts by being first in line at opening time for staying guests, the bus from our hotel picked us up half an hour before opening time and we were in the pool by 10.30am in the Hotel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now