Accidents Helpline cold caller told me to get fucked!

(110 Posts)
Primafacie Sat 29-Dec-12 10:56:16

AIBU to post this here to name and shame that company?

They are calling us all the time. We have tried everything - humour, politeness, hanging up. This time I just lost it, and told the guy " I don't know how to impress on you that we don't want you calling. We don't even have a car. Please put your boss on the line so I can get my message across". To which he replied "Fuck you!", and hung up.

Smooth. Very smooth.

Gah. I was having a good day so far.

DingbatsFur Sat 13-Jul-13 21:54:45

I had a call from a company claiming to be the TPS but they wanted my debit card details. Total scammers, the TPS is free.

BreadNameBread Sat 13-Jul-13 21:08:49

Did you do the things suggested down thread? Remove your details from 192.com etc
Also call them on 01536 486218 (this is a Kettering, UK, dialling code which is where the company is based) and tell them to remove ALL your details from ALL their databases and inform them that they do not have your permission to call you. Insist that they confirm that they have done so.
I got this number from the privacy part of their website.

You have to be proactive about nuisance calls. I follow up any I recieve and now I barely get any. It seems a bit OTT but it works.

Wbdn28 Sat 13-Jul-13 21:04:46

I'm always tempted to tell the double-glazing ones that we have no windows grin

Whothefuckfarted Sat 13-Jul-13 20:50:20

I always say REALLY enthusiastically, "Oh yes! I have been looking at getting whatever they are selling hold on one second I just need to shut the dog in the kitchen"

Then I just leave the phone on the side and every now and then go back to it and say "Sorry about that, are you still there? Oh.. hold on one second I need to bla bla bla"

I carry on like that till they're gone. grin

YouTheCat Fri 12-Jul-13 22:34:41

Answer them with 'Hello, fraud squad' and see how fast they hang up. grin

SuffolkNWhat Fri 12-Jul-13 22:20:24

Caller ID to ignore them.

Or use lines from The Simpsons, my favourite is "Moe's Taxidermy. You snuff 'em, we stuff 'em"

Jestrin Fri 12-Jul-13 22:14:29

TPS does not stop all calls. I asked BT and even they said that they can't 'stop' overseas calls. I have TPS and I am still getting bloomin' cold calls day in, day out.

purplemurple1 Fri 12-Jul-13 22:07:35

My grandad use to keep them on the phone and try to sell them things from his house (plants normally), he always found it funny when they are trying to get off the phone and trying to explain why they don't want to buy anything.

Primafacie Fri 12-Jul-13 21:29:58

Update - I can report that Accidents Helpline are still calling us all the time, and no amount of pleading, humour or stern warnings will convince them to delete our number from their list as we DON'T HAVE A CAR. I had one more guy hanging up on me recently, and another one telling me that I shouldn't complain as they are "just doing their job". I replied "really? So the 'Fuck You' bit, is that part of your script?" hmm

And yet they keep calling, so I've come here for a refresher on your techniques. There are so gems here - I may print this thread and keep by the phone grin

RailRoaded Mon 31-Dec-12 00:17:17

OP

I googled and there is a company that has accident helpline as their website but also refers to Accident Compensation Helpline. Not sure if this is the same company as they claim they never cold call. I've copied and pasted from the contact us page.

If this is the company or you track down the right one you can complain in writing and ask for a payment for your distress (at the cold calling and swearing) and inconvenience (being intruded on at home and then being forced to complain to them - £50 to £100 would seem fair.

Claims management companies are regulated by the Ministry of Justice who pay be interested to hear of the tactics employed.

Head Office:

Suite 210 Queens House, Queen Street, Barnstaple, EX32 8HJ

Registered Office:

69 High Street, Bideford, EX39 2AT
Company registered in England and Wales No 5311328

Email: enquiries@accident-helpline.uk.com

Please send marketing enquiries to: marketing@accident-helpline.uk.com

Accident Compensation Helpline is committed to providing the highest standards of service at all times, but if you are not happy with our service we would like you to let us know about your concerns, please see our Complaints Procedure.

Accident Compensation Helpline does not do cold calling under any circumstance.

Permanentlyexhausted Mon 31-Dec-12 00:08:36

Press a few numbers on your keypad whilst they are on the phone and then say "Officer, this is the nuisance call I have reported".

The only calls we ever get are those recorded ones telling us they have a very urgent message about PPI. I never get real people phoning us at home, even though we've never done the TPS thing.

I once had someone from a PPI claimback firm call me on my mobile at work. He refused to believe I had no debt, no credit cards, nothing. After he'd refused to believe me a couple of times I said "Look, you moron, you might be stupid enough to spend money you don't have but I'm not. Remove my details from your database and DON'T EVER call me again. DO NOT EVER call this number again." I hung up and turned round to see everyone in the office sniggering at their desks. Seemed to do the trick though!

PenguinBear Sun 30-Dec-12 23:55:56

I always tell them I am a food takeaway shop and insist they give Me their order. They hang up quickly and it's great fun! Even the dc do it now blush

whathasthecatdonenow Sun 30-Dec-12 23:39:34

I got a call from one of those debt management companies saying that my details had been passed onto them because I was struggling with debt. I don't do debt, other than my mortgage, and told him so. I asked to be taken off his caller list. He called me a liar and said that everyone had debt and I was obviously in denial! I asked to be put through to his supervisor and got told to fuck off. Perhaps it is now in the training scheme for call centre staff.

IslaMann Sun 30-Dec-12 23:35:16

My dad always answers the phone with "hello". Once he realises its a cold call he says, "you've come through to the control room, putting you through to the Chief Inspector now"grin

AppleOgies Sun 30-Dec-12 23:11:39

I obviously wouldn't issue a death threat... But something along those lines. I quite like another poster's suggestion .

'This is a secure MI5 line, we are tracing and recording your call. How did you get this number?!'

Hee Hee!

Primafacie Sun 30-Dec-12 22:57:02

Oops, apologies, not sure what happened here

Primafacie Sun 30-Dec-12 22:56:19

I know this is crass, but I am a tiny bit relieved (if surprised) to see how many here have also been told to fuck off by cold callers. When I first posted I tought it was very unusual, hence the exclamation marks. I see now that it's actually quite common. Which doesn't make it more acceptable - but at least I'm not alone in my predicament.

I'm making notes of all your helpful suggestions for dealing with, and preventing, such calls. I quite like the LN's speech, but call me a whimp am a bit weary of issuing death threats wink

Primafacie Sun 30-Dec-12 22:54:53

I know this is crass, but I am a tiny bit relieved (if surprised) to see how many here have also been told to fuck off by cold callers. When I first posted I tought it was very unusual, hence the exclamation marks. I see now that it's actually quite common. Which doesn't make it more acceptable - but at least I'm not alone in my predicament.

I'm making notes of all your helpful suggestions for dealing with, and preventing, such calls. I quite like the LN's speech, but call me a whimp am a bit weary of issuing death threats wink

AppleOgies Sun 30-Dec-12 22:18:08

This reminds me of a call I get from a company that did conservatories... We lived on the 9th floor at the time!

sarahtigh Sun 30-Dec-12 22:15:48

saying it is a listed building works well with double glazing conservatories and sky ( you need planning permission for the dish and they can't be bothered)

ask for their number and landlord or estate manager will ring you back

I am slightly deaf, but saying i did not catch that, sorry could you repeat, giving wrong answers

we do not get calls much ourselves but get calls for previous occupant who died 3 years ago aged 93, i am not convinced she was needing their services

them " can i speak to jemima puddleduck"

me " no"

them " why not when will she be back"

me "difficult to say not sure when next resurrection of the dead is due"

them " uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! "

AppleOgies Sun 30-Dec-12 22:13:30

Liam Neeson not Liam on!

AppleOgies Sun 30-Dec-12 22:13:01

Have you ever seen that Liam on film where he is ex CIA and his daughter is kidnapped. He does this speech about hunting down the person on the phone. I'd be tempted to print that out and read it out to them.

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."

Okay it would need modifying a bit. But I hate these calls, and when they get aggressive (I too have been told to f**k off)... I tell them that all of my calls are recorded and that I will hand this one over to the police for investigation.

Geekster Sun 30-Dec-12 21:55:13

The last time someone called me from 'Microsoft' I told them I hadn't got a computer was quite amusing took the wind right out of their sail. They just said ok bye and never rang back. I always say we live in rented accommodation too.

Bumply Sun 30-Dec-12 21:53:18

I like stringing out calls from people trying to sell me conservatories.
They sound so disappointed when I inform I can sadly not be taking up their offer due to living in a 2nd floor flat.

Primafacie Sun 30-Dec-12 21:44:12

Furball grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now