to rant to you disruptive toddler in PG film ?

(67 Posts)
pippop1 Sat 29-Dec-12 01:19:31

I went to see Life of Pi in 3D my local cinema. The film started at 5.45pm and is rate PG which, according to the official website of cinema classification mean that the content is unlikely to disturb a child aged 8 or over.

There was a couple in the cinema with a child of about 4 and a younger one of I guess a little less than two. They sat to my left with an aisle between us. The younger DC (without 3D glasses) spent most of the film being shushed by the parents, not in a seat and walking about in front of the parents being passed around between them. Also there was constant rustling with bags of food to try and keep the child quiet.

The parents made no attempt to take this kid out. I found it v annoying and the film was beyond the understanding of a child of this age (espcially without the glasses - it's all fuzzy without them).

I'm not blaming the child at all but am I wrong to think the parents are crazy to take this little child to this film? It might be PG but it's hardly Disney.

Sorry, just need to moan as this outing cost DH and I over £21 and I felt anoyed the whole time!

I know, I know I should have complained to the staff but it was a tiny cinema, I would have had to go outside and then come back in and they'd know it was me!

Wallison Sat 29-Dec-12 13:22:04

I don't think it's reasonable to factor in a risk that taking a child to a film will result in them being shot, whatever time the film is on at.

Booblesonthetree Sat 29-Dec-12 13:43:11

YANBU, I wouldn't be happy either.
As an aside, DD is 7 and has been pestering to see it, she watches alot of the same films as her older brother (12), and behaves very well in the cinema, is it worth taking her? Plus is it actually any good? I don't particularly fancy it tbh but could be persuaded!

MrsKeithRichards Sat 29-Dec-12 14:59:21

Nice bit of arseholeishness on display there, dumb parents taking their kids to the cinema to get shot.

pippop1 Sat 29-Dec-12 17:50:46

Boobles, I think it had some rather scary moments for a 7 year old, a tiger eats a chunk out of the leg of a live zebra for instance. It's also quite "slow" in places so I think a 7 year old would find it both frightening and boring!

I do regret not complaining now and asking for some kind of refund. I guess I shouldn't have gone so early 5.45pm either, but from what others are saying that wouldn't have made any difference. There were two adults with this child so they could at least have taken it in turns to take her out. V selfish.

The next film I'm going to see is Quartet (when it comes out) and I doubt whether there will be any kids in it!

To be fair the trailer and posters make it look like a children's film but it's really much more of an adult one. My book club read the book a year or two ago and it never entered our heads that it could be a children's film! and I was surprised that it was marketed as such. I'd say it's suitable for non-scaredy kids of 10+

MikeOxardInTheSnow Sat 29-Dec-12 18:03:23

Not that you should have had to, but why on earth didn't you move to a seat further away from them?

maisiejoe123 Sun 30-Dec-12 14:25:24

I go to the cinema all of the time and I am constantly surprised how many people bring their children to totally unsuitable films and spoil it for the rest of us. And dont get me started on large families roaming the supermarkets en masse the weekend before Xmas with the kids running around, everyone getting narky and generally making things more difficult. Just what is it about taking your children everywhere! MY SIL insisted on being allowed into a restaurant (adults only) in a very posh hotel abroad because her 18 month old was sleeping. She asked the manager to go around to each table to ask if they objected or said she would!! They refused and she tells everyone now what a crxx hotel it is!

LuluMai Sun 30-Dec-12 14:44:17

I think under threes should be banned from the cinema completely, personally.

AmberSocks Sun 30-Dec-12 14:49:36

I think if anyone from any other country read anything on mumsnet they wouldnt dare come here,kids clearly arent welcome anywhere,espescially after 7pm!

Our big cinema has some dedicated over-18s screenings. Bliss.

Doshusallie Sun 30-Dec-12 14:55:58

Maisiejoe, families, even large families, are allowed to go to the supermarket. And their children are not expected to be sellotaped to the trolley. What a ridiculous observation.

LittleMissFantabulous Sun 30-Dec-12 15:01:05

Lulu I used to take my then two and six year olds to kids club screenings at the cinema. Showings designed for kids. Please don't over-generalise.

OttilieKnackered Sun 30-Dec-12 15:07:52

I think that's rather an exaggeration AmberSocks. Kids are welcome in most places, most of the time, but I see no problem with some events or locations being for adults (or children over a certain age) only.

Pizza hut in the middle of the day? Kids should be welcomed, if not prioritised.

An opera at 10pm? Not so much.

MrsMelons Sun 30-Dec-12 15:10:59

I have always taken my DCs to the cinema but only to appropriate things. I wouldn't say there is a need to ban under 3's at all but I think it is completely unfair or people to take children to unsuitable films and ruin it for everyone. I would expect them to behave well regardless of their age and if they couldn't I would take them out or not take them in the first place.

If DH and I take the DCs to our local cinema it can cost around £35 just for the tickets and I would be upset if the viewing was ruined by toddlers/babies crying.

I went to see Starlight Express (5pm matinee) at the theatre and there was a toddler sat next to me that ruined the whole show for me as cried, climbed up and down etc etc. They were way too young to be there and the parent did nothing to try to keep the child quiet. I had waited a long time to see the show as had missed it when on previous times due to various reasons.

I think there should no children allowed for the later (after 7 screenings) - just like you don't get children in pubs in the evening.

I would be really annoyed and would leave and get my money back if this happened to me.

I asked to be moved in the theatre a few weeks ago (very rare treat) as it was a proper play (plenty of swearing, adult themes even if it was a matinee) and ridiculously unsuitable for the 4 and 8 year old whining near me.

flow4 Sun 30-Dec-12 15:16:01

I'm surprised anyone goes to cinemas at all any more, tbh.

There's no way of knowing whether or not there was any kind of 'back story' to reasonably explain why that family might be at the cinema watching that film all together... But you can be fairly sure that it will have cost them £25+ to be there, which is such a large sum of money for most families with young children that even if they realised they'd made a dreadful mistake, they'd probably be reluctant to waste it and leave, especially if no-one seemed to mind...

FestiveElement Sun 30-Dec-12 15:33:10

YANBU

Unfortunately it seems that there are lots of parents around that think its ok for them to allow their children to distract others in cinemas.

LadyMargolotta Sun 30-Dec-12 21:00:47

Having posted early on this thread, I can hardly believe the irony of my own experience of watching Life of Pi at the cinema this evening.

Just me and dh, leaving my three children with family babysitters. 22 pounds to watch the film including the 3d glasses.

And a baby in the cinema cried, and then screamed, from the beginning of the film.

It is a very atmospheric film and from the first wails of this poor baby, the film was near enough spoilt.

There was several exaperated tuts and shushes from the audience but I took the advice from this thread, and went out to complain.

It took me several minutes to find someone to complain to. I politely pointed out that I had not paid 22pounds and organised a babysitter to listen to a baby ruin the film. I said the if they didn't do something about the baby, I would want a refund and compensation.

The manager asked the parent and baby to leave, which they did. The baby was screaming at this point, and had been crying on and off for about 40 minutes.

Maybe I should have complained earlier but I was hoping that the baby would just fall asleep.

FreudiansSlipper Sun 30-Dec-12 21:15:49

holidays many are at a lost end what to do with excited and bored children it's a 545 showing of a pg film with a tig i would expect children the be there

and how stupid and nasty to bring up the shootings in the states he could have gone to any showing and done the same has the recent news not told you that ffs

FreudiansSlipper Sun 30-Dec-12 21:17:23

Film with a tiger in ...

stupid autocorrect

LadyMargolotta Sun 30-Dec-12 21:17:45

The cinema is the last place I would take bored and excitable children. Let alone a baby.

LadyMargolotta Sun 30-Dec-12 21:22:41

The film may be PG but the recommendation is 8 years.

Do you really think a screaming baby will be enjoying the film? Do you really think cinema is an appropiate place for a screaming baby or a running toddler? Do you really think anyone enjoys the film with a screaming baby in the cinema?

FreudiansSlipper Sun 30-Dec-12 21:23:14

it's also school holidays you really would not expect children to be in a cinema at this time

8pm showing I doubt many would be there but 545 why not I would not go at that time as I am sure children would be there and do not expect children to be able to sit through a film without making some noise

FreudiansSlipper Sun 30-Dec-12 21:24:41

I was replying to the op, toddler and child

not to your post

LadyMargolotta Sun 30-Dec-12 21:26:37

No I do not expect children to sit through a film like this - which is why I had the consideration to organise a babysitter.

I did not go to the cinema for 4 years when I didn't have a babysitter available.

Fortunately the management agreed with me and the people were asked to leave, but nearly have the film was ruined, and I missed several minutes finding someone to complain to.

FreudiansSlipper Sun 30-Dec-12 21:32:21

you are talking about a screaming baby not fidgety young children

maybe you should have taken advantage of going to the eary showings have been a few times no one seems bothered by fidgety and talkative children as they know they are going to be there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now