6mo meal (part 2)

(31 Posts)
forbiddenfruit85 Tue 11-Dec-12 19:06:18

Sorry for starting another thread on the subject, but there was a comment I wanted to reply to and as it reached 1000 posts I wasn't able to do so.

Also I would have wanted to update the thread/start a new one for when the meal actually happened for people that wanted to know how it went.

Atthewelles Wed 12-Dec-12 16:56:08

I'm from Dublin too Alien and agree with Sh. It is not common practice here to bring small children out to restaurants at night time. Particularly if you're going out with a group of adult friends. People who do bring their children out for their evening meal would normally go somewhere quite child friendly eg local Italian and would book a table for late afternoon/early evening and usually be gone by 6.30-7.00.

AlienRefucksLooksLikeSnow Wed 12-Dec-12 16:51:39

Not the Father then sh? not sure you can speak for the whole of Dublin and beyond?

ShShShSh Wed 12-Dec-12 14:15:37

I would also agree with another poster who said that usually the type of mothers who insist on bringing their children everywhere, even when they have hte option not to, are usually the type of people who use their children for some attention as they are so lacking in personality otherwise they need the child as a crutch and to maybe some attention they wouldn't have otherwise or to have e conversation topic.

Mathanxiety, I don't believe you have ever lived in Ireland. If you go out for dinner at 8pm on any friday or saturday night in dublin or anywhere else in Ireland it would be very unusual to see people with babies. Maybe at 6pm you would but they would be leaving at 8.

If someone can't get a babysitter or leave their child for whatever reason then the mother would stay at home and look after the baby herself.

Atthewelles Wed 12-Dec-12 12:40:27

There are occasions when its appropriate to bring your baby along and occasions when it isn't. Unfortunately there are some parents who just cannot tell the difference and are always pitching up to events where the baby is not welcome with a big beam on their face as if they're giving everyone a lovely treat by bringing baby along with them.

AlienRefucksLooksLikeSnow Wed 12-Dec-12 09:59:42

Oh fuck not this again hmm

whoneedssleepanyway Wed 12-Dec-12 08:25:06

I agree with ff85 but for me it would be selfish reasons of changing dynamic of night out not whether a restaurant is suitable environment for a baby.

I have a friend who has little childcare support. We went for lunch with mutual friends a while back and she brought her baby and it was a nightmare he was fractious she was distracted up and down from table and in and out and she didn't enjoy herself.

Same friend is bringing her baby to our New Year's Eve party he will sleep upstairs but my heart did sink a little but it was that or her not coming.

I know where you are coming from OP.

I went to Vegas without DD1 for 5 nights when she was 8 months...so will join u in bad mother corner.

PessaryPam Wed 12-Dec-12 08:05:37

Bye then.

TeentheBean Wed 12-Dec-12 07:25:35

Yeah I'll leave this thread and stop being bored quit mumsnet and get on with my life

PervyMuskrat Wed 12-Dec-12 01:29:30

andapartridgeinarowantree, I left DS for 4 nights when he was 7m old to go to a festival [proper piss poor mother emoticon]

forbiddenfruit85 Tue 11-Dec-12 23:58:18

two whole nights?!

I'm gonna call SS on you.

andapartridgeinaRowantree Tue 11-Dec-12 23:49:19

Actually I'm still a bit worried about that one too. Meh! confused

andapartridgeinaRowantree Tue 11-Dec-12 23:48:33

I know. I honestly don't know how I live with myself.

I dread to tell her that when DD is six months we're going to Barcelona for two nights.

forbiddenfruit85 Tue 11-Dec-12 23:44:53

andapartridgeinaRowantree my husband took me for a spa day for my birthday, my dd was just under 2 months then.

When I told my friend (who the op was about) she looked absolutely horrified that I had dared to leave my baby with my mother.

Me and you are obviously terrible mothers wink

andapartridgeinaRowantree Tue 11-Dec-12 23:33:54

I had a baby five weeks ago. DH and I have already had one night out to the cinema and for a couple of drinks. Mostly because DM was desperate to have alone time with her first grandchild!

But one of my friends has acted like I left my child with Hitler. There were four "I just don't know how you could do that" in one conversation.

My baby is wonderful. All babies are wonderful. But you are definitely not being unreasonable to want some grown up time with your mates!

forbiddenfruit85 Tue 11-Dec-12 23:25:32

LadyBeagleBaublesandBells thanks smile

forbiddenfruit85 Tue 11-Dec-12 23:24:54

Yes GrimAndHumourlessAndEven but I was making the point that as you can no longer post on the old thread I would have done a new one anyway.

I wanted to reply to a comment posted but was unable to do so in the old thread.

So shoot me smile

forbiddenfruit85 Tue 11-Dec-12 23:23:28

Yes silvercup we as a group of friends are accommodating too.

Partners are always invited and children/babies if the parents want/need to bring them.

We are talking about one specific dinner which I don't think is suitable to bring a baby too.

GrimAndHumourlessAndEven Tue 11-Dec-12 23:23:06

Most updates happen when events have happened

Jus' saying, like

LadyBeagleBaublesandBells Tue 11-Dec-12 23:21:18

Teen, the vast majority of posters on that thread agreed with forbiddenfruit.
I for one am glad she's started a new thread, as I hate it when I get to the end of a long thread and never hear the outcome.
<Nosey>
Hope you update us after the meal Op grin

forbiddenfruit85 Tue 11-Dec-12 23:21:04

TeentheBean

People did agree with me on the previous thread? (and of course some disagreed) so no it's not what I '"really want"

I felt I had to reply to one of the comments stated on the old thread, but when it reaches 1000 posts you are not allowed to post on it again (something I only found out today)

I would have done another thread anyway because a couple of people asked for an update.

If you don't like it then just don't read it, because the old one will not resurface and I cannot see this one dropping off the front page quickly.

So quit moaning and just stop reading it.

silvercup Tue 11-Dec-12 23:20:55

I think I must be lucky to have nice friends - I'm the only one out of my group who has a baby, but they are always very accommodating towards my DD and whenever somebody arranges lunch or dinner, they make a point of saying little ones welcome even though I have the only little one.

EggNogRules Tue 11-Dec-12 23:14:53

I think a lot of people agreed with forbiddenfruit85 - I absolutely do.

At 1000 posts and new thread, a loty of people feel very strongly about this.

PessaryPam Tue 11-Dec-12 22:34:31

Teen I agree with forbiddenfruit85 because she is right.

TeentheBean Tue 11-Dec-12 22:31:45

Jeez, this still going on??? Surely, OP, if you are waiting for someone to agree with you (is this what you really want), this thread will run and run on until NEXT Christmas.... can you not just let it lie????

miamibeach Tue 11-Dec-12 21:02:24

I personally don't see anything wrong with the father looking after the child whilst the mother has a girls night.

I love my baby, she is my world, but I enjoy having some free time and also think having that bit of time to just focus on me makes me a better mother.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now