to feel even less sympathy for the Australian DJs after watching their interview?

(247 Posts)
miamibeach Mon 10-Dec-12 16:15:56

Especially the guy.

The woman said she hopes the public respect the privacy of the nurses family.

Shame she didn't show the same respect of Kate's privacy.

carocaro Tue 11-Dec-12 23:08:57

Yes totally serious. You really believe the two are not related? And are 100% sure that she had other mental health issues? You cannot possibly know that. But what is 100% clear is she took her life 3 days after the event, I am no Miss Marple but it is clear the two are related. These people who say she must have had other mental issues are judgemental and are belittling the nurse and the effect it had on her. The DJ,s did not expect to happen but it did and they need to accept responsibility. I repeat thick and heartless.

AmberLeaf Tue 11-Dec-12 23:28:48

I think you may be a little thick too caro TBH.

I don't think people saying she must have had other mental health issues are being judgemental at all. They/I are being realistic.

It wasn't even her that gave out information.

No one knew her name.

I really do believe that the two are not as related as some are trying to make out.

I think she probably had other stuff going on in her life or a history of depression/MH problems.

But that doesn't make such a good story does it?

These people who say she must have had other mental issues are judgemental and are belittling the nurse and the effect it had on her.

Although of course anyone who did subscribe to such a view would only be saying much the same thing as the mental health charities and psychiatrists who have commented on the case in the news...

bradyismyfavouritewiseman Wed 12-Dec-12 04:45:31

I think you may be a little thick too caro TBH. I don't think people saying she must have had other mental health issues are being judgemental at all. They/I are being realistic.

Its entirely possible she did have mental health issues. And what?

Surely that is a good enough reason to NOT phones someones place of work and put their job at risk. Because the person you are taking the piss out of, humilating and using is someone you don't know, so you can not predict and outcome.

As a person with or without mental health issues she has a right to work. She has a right not to be broadcast over the entire planet as a joke.

Notafoodbabyanymore Wed 12-Dec-12 06:34:43

The nurses were scapegoats for their employers not having appropriate procedures in place.

The DJs are scapegoats for their employers not having appropriate procedures in place.

To me it looked like the DJs have been told very clearly what they are allowed to say, and it's not much. That's why, I think, the interviews seemed stilted.

Just how I saw the situation, anyway.

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Wed 12-Dec-12 07:26:16

And if she did have MH issues how terrible that this so called joke pushed her to suicide.

There's no getting away from it. Had the prank not happened she would most probably be still here today.

AmberLeaf Wed 12-Dec-12 07:44:06

If that was the case Everlong, then it wouldve been something else that 'pushed' her to suicide.

Im really amazed that so many people think that the prank and its fallout would push an other wise perfectly happy adult to suicide.

No one but the person who takes their life is responsible for that.

In any other situation people would be saying that.

NetworkGuy Wed 12-Dec-12 07:50:07

"a culture that gets its kicks from ..."

it's why the trashy papers have readers, and many of the monthly / fortnightly {dare I say women's} mags and to some extent the broadsheets. Obviously gossip is most common but humiliation and embarrassment are probably close behind. Only way to show disapproval (which is something the public rarely do, however often they comment on the internet) is to simply boycott such media.

They claim they 'give us what we want' but in reality they dish up whatever they can and because people keep the circulation numbers high, or a particular story gets high readership (eg Princess Di, or the McCann's, after the disappearance of Madeleine, or some other story), they feel the numbers justify whatever stories they are publishing.

Letters to the editors whenever you see stories which are judgemental and damaging to someone's well-being might alert the staff to what is and isn't acceptable, but better to save your money and not buy the trashy things in the first place.

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Wed 12-Dec-12 07:53:14

Not necessarily so amber not all people with MH issues kill themselves.

This particular incident could have been just *too^ much.

But what do I know? I don't. I'm not in the camp that suspect she did have MH issues though.

My guess is that this whole thing scared her into this irrational reaction.

She has left a letter so hopefully it will leave her family with some answers.

bradyismyfavouritewiseman Wed 12-Dec-12 08:00:36

then it wouldve been something else that 'pushed' her to suicide

Not necessarily. That's actually quite a ridiculous statement.

AmberLeaf Wed 12-Dec-12 08:18:35

Brady. that was only part of what I said.

I don't actually think anything 'pushes' a person to take their own life, that is simplifying the issue somewhat.

Everlong, I know very well that not all people with mental health issues kill themselves.

On this thread, It sounds a bit like some people are taking 'she may have had underlying depression/mental health issues' as an insult?

That is certainly not my angle.

Lots of people live with MH problems all their lives. Lots of people live with people with MH problems. Its normal.

Nancy66 Wed 12-Dec-12 08:23:09

I spoke to a journalist friend covering this story and there are certainly 'other issues' at play.

FivesGoldNorks Wed 12-Dec-12 08:29:23

" donate the advertisingprofitsfor the restofthe year"

So depending on when they said this, about 3 weeks' worth? What an empty gesture

MagicLlama Wed 12-Dec-12 09:03:43

I think that the difficulty is that we dont know.

However we can guess that this did contribute. It seems very likely that either with or without prior issues, this was a contributing factor. I think for that reason alone the DJs / Station etc should be apologising. The fact that they apparently cant because its admiting liability is just another symptom of the crap situation.

If a car skids on a patch of ice, and lands near the edge of a cliff, and then another couple do the same and each car knocks it closer to falling off the edge, and then I come along and skid and am the one car too many that ends up pushing the original car off the edge to their death, is it my fault they are dead? No. Not completely. Have I contributed to their death? Yes. Could I have forseen the consequences? No? Would I feel shockingly bad? Yes. Would I apologise to their families. You bet the fuck I would.

I think that actually the worse thing about this, is if she hadnt taken her own life, we wouldnt be hearing about it. There would be no uproar about it if she had just lost her job, or had a mental breakdown. Thats shocking.

The station should not have aired the tape without the hospitals permission. They tried 5 times, big wow. They then decided that permission or not they would play the tape, and thats wrong. They had no idea how any of the people involved would act. They had no knowledge if ay of the people involved were "delicate" and if they could / could not take this "joke".

I still firmly put the blame on the dj's and the radio station here - there is no excuse for their behaviour, whether or not there had been any fall out it was a shitty thing to do. I have yet to come across anyone who found it funny, although I'm sure some people did. Playing pranks on people you don't know is malicious - did they actually pause to think about what might happen to the people involved (warning, sacking)? There was no way nothing would have come from their stupid call (that's terrible English, but I hope you get what I mean?!).

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Wed 12-Dec-12 09:47:19

Very well said magic

PlaySchool Wed 12-Dec-12 10:22:49

Agree with frostyfingers The DJs and radio station showed no concern about the consequences. It is obvious to anyone that there would be very unpleasant consequences for the staff involved even if they did not lose their jobs. The prank has backfired on them. Serves them right.

AmberLeaf Wed 12-Dec-12 10:48:54

So after being villified publicly for days, the two DJs decide they can take no more, there is no way out and kill themselves.

Who will be to blame for that?

AmberLeaf Wed 12-Dec-12 10:50:20

No one knew Jacintha Saldanhas name until she took her life, everyone knows who these DJs are.

bradyismyfavouritewiseman Wed 12-Dec-12 10:53:54

So after being villified publicly for days, the two DJs decide they can take no more, there is no way out and kill themselves. Who will be to blame for that?

Themselves and the radio station.

The DJs could not have predicted this. But doing this sort of thing has consequences. The consequences have been massive in this case. The fact is the calling someone and humiliating them will have consequences.

amber when a teenager kill themselves becacuse of bullying, do you feel the bully is blameless?

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Wed 12-Dec-12 10:55:39

' who would be to blame for that '

Firstly I would think that is not going to happen. The tears are for themselves for how they think people will perceive them, their career.

I doubt for one second they are only crying for Jacintha.

I think if it did happen then the people to blame are the team that gave them the go ahead. They are the real ones at fault here.

Nancy66 Wed 12-Dec-12 10:55:49

she wasn't bullied though. Well, not by the DJs.

I don't even think she was humilated but that's just me.

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Wed 12-Dec-12 10:59:36

You don't even think she was humiliated? hmm

So why do you think she killed herself?

AmberLeaf Wed 12-Dec-12 11:00:57

Neither do I Nancy.

AmberLeaf Wed 12-Dec-12 11:04:23

when a teenager kill themselves because of bullying, do you feel the bully is blameless?

A bully is guilty of bullying, but do I think they are responsible for a persons death? No of course they aren't.

But that's a totally seperate subject because those DJs didn't bully Jacintha Saldanha.

The DJs are now being hounded though, but if they kill themselves they deserve it according to some here so thats all ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now