to feel even less sympathy for the Australian DJs after watching their interview?

(247 Posts)
miamibeach Mon 10-Dec-12 16:15:56

Especially the guy.

The woman said she hopes the public respect the privacy of the nurses family.

Shame she didn't show the same respect of Kate's privacy.

GreatUncleEddie Mon 10-Dec-12 18:31:24

They didn't apologise did they, just passed the buck. Kept repeating phrases they had scripted. Nasty.

Wanttowrite Mon 10-Dec-12 18:37:20

LapsedPacifist - could not agree more, pleased to see most people have seen through this fake apology.

miamibeach Mon 10-Dec-12 18:54:07

OnwardBound it is irrelevant what country made the call and what country received the call imo.

You seemed to be justifying their actions because the nurse was from the UK.

There is no animosity from me a UK citizen towards Australian citizens.

FeistyLass Mon 10-Dec-12 19:13:22

I wondered if it played better to their home audience. . .
As someone who has worked in the media and pr for years, I wouldn't have let them do an interview. The initial statement would have included their apology for the 'unforseen outcome'.
They couldn't admit liability in the interview unless they were going to resign as the radio station lawyers would have been quite clear that they couldn't say they were responsible. The interview was more or less what I was expecting hence why I think it's only purpose could have been to win sympathy in Australia. It wasn't ever going to be viewed favourably in the UK when the public repsonse to the 'hoax' has been so negative here.

besmirchedandbewildered Mon 10-Dec-12 19:24:04

I haven't seen the interviews, although I heard a snippet this morning, but I agree with Fairylass. They'll have been told that an apology is an admission of guilt and therefore liability. To avoid risk of being sued, they'll have been told to show contrition without actually apologising.

besmirchedandbewildered Mon 10-Dec-12 19:25:20

Bloody hell, sorry - Feistylass not Fairylass.

FeistyLass Mon 10-Dec-12 19:27:54

Oh, I quite liked being Fairylass grin

Doinmummy Mon 10-Dec-12 19:31:47

I've just seen the interview , uncomfortable viewing. He looked annoyed at having to he there . To keep saying they could not have predicted the outcome is just a cop out .

VicarInaTutuDrankSantasSherry Mon 10-Dec-12 19:33:26

watched it. Comes across as a PR saving our arses and the stations arses exercise.

When asked who made the decision they said they didnt know.
bollocks.
the station have clearly told them not to aportion blame and not to answer those questions.

a total pr disaster imo as they appeared very insincere and their apology was inadequate.

2day fm shot themselves in the foot with this.

sue52 Mon 10-Dec-12 19:38:15

They are very young, this will haunt them for the rest of their lives. They might sound glib now but as they age, perhaps have families, what they did will never be far from their minds. My thoughts and sympathies are with the victim's husband and children.

flippinada Mon 10-Dec-12 19:41:56

Fee

Bakingnovice Mon 10-Dec-12 19:47:31

A lot of people have suffered due to this awful episode. People need to forgive, learn the lessons that need to be learnt and hope there are no further casualties. I for one am saddened by the current blame game, hospital to dj to victims state of mind/personal circumstances etc. I know I'm a softie but the female Dj looked devastated.

Shenanagins Mon 10-Dec-12 19:53:26

Agree with feistylass. of course it was heavily scripted and they probably had the fear of god put into them in not admitting liability or any wrongdoing. given this it would be no surprise that it came across badly. they were dammed if they did and dammed if they didn't.

and i don't believe for one minute that no pressure was put on the nurse by the hospital.

aroomofherown Mon 10-Dec-12 19:58:22

He's a shit actor

Bakingnovice Mon 10-Dec-12 19:58:38

Shenanigans I agree. The hospital have not acted brilliantly. We know wills was livid and knowing the nhs senior management must have been seen to be doing something. Just the thought of that poor lady being summoned to a meeting makes me very sad. I had a stressful time at work a few years ago and at times it made me feel very very low.

MamaMary Mon 10-Dec-12 19:59:56

They are clearly both self-obsessed, self-promoting wannabees who were originally clearly delighted at the publicity they had gained for themselves. The woman began her career in reality TV. In photographs, their eyes appear very, very cold to me.

Mind you I haven't heard or watched the interview - couldn't stomach it.

Hobbitation Mon 10-Dec-12 19:59:58

I felt immensely sorry for them from the start. I feel very sorry for everyone closely involved. Yes, it was a stupid thing to do but they didn't set out to humiliate an individual or for anything remotely like this to happen. Also the international media is responsible for playing the phone call over and over and for obsessive round the clock coverage of 'the Royal Baby'. They have had hundreds of death threats, people's finger pointing has been absolutely disgusting. It reminds me of people jeering at the gallows. In fact, it's just the kind of thing that can make someone want to take their own life. More deaths as a result of this prank can hardly be a desirable result.

MagicLlama Mon 10-Dec-12 20:00:43

See I can believe that they didnt expect to get through. That the joke was ringing up, being hung up on and then larking around with crappy british accents and pretend corgis in the background.

I can believe that when the all went through they were shockedand just carried on with it.

I cannot believe that it was aired. Im sure there are rules and regulations about permission before recording people, and I can only assume that the station decided any hassle for not following those was worth the publicity. That decision would not have been the DJs

For that reason, I had some sympathy for them, that a "prank" blew up in their faces and has all gone to pot.

However they seem so "glib" in that interview that I just dont anymore.

SugarPasteSnowflake Mon 10-Dec-12 20:00:59

I think they did a stupid thing.

I don't think it's appropriate to lay all of the blame at their door - the world's media were jumping all over this. Speculating as to what would happen to her, what kind of disciplinary measures would be taken etc.

That kind of pressure on someone who as already fragile, was most likely the catalyst for her suicide. However it doesn't suit the journos to examine their own part in this tragedy- far easier to point the finger and lay the blame wholly at the feet of the DJs.

Hobbitation Mon 10-Dec-12 20:01:22

and i don't believe for one minute that no pressure was put on the nurse by the hospital.

Nor do I. I bet she got hauled in and bollocked, or was about to be. It's just the sort of thing that would go on.

thebody Mon 10-Dec-12 20:01:28

I don't think for a minute that this reaction could have been predicted at all.

In my view this blame mostly lies at the hospital proceedures and staff training..

Let's stop blaming individuals.

MagicLlama Mon 10-Dec-12 20:03:21

Incidentally, I also think that the hospital management could have done more!

MagicLlama Mon 10-Dec-12 20:05:12

I think that I would have more sympathy for them if they seemed to be saying "shit we are sorry for what part we played in this"

However all the, well it wasnt us it was someone else just irritates me

im also in a bad mood about something else which might be playing a part in me being a miserable arse

Doinmummy Mon 10-Dec-12 20:07:14

sue52 they are not ' very young' they are grown adults . There are people far younger than they are making life changing decisions ( nurses doctors) .

AmberLeaf Mon 10-Dec-12 20:20:17

It was stupid but they are not responsible for that woman taking her own life, only she is.

What should they apologise for exactly? their prank or another persons actions?

It's a bit ridiculous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now