To think that it's rotten to put somebody off their favourite baby name?

(66 Posts)
gail734 Mon 03-Dec-12 21:04:12

My best friend is pregnant after having a hard time TTC. She has always planned to call a baby girl Elizabeth, not because she's a big royalist, but because she loved Liz Taylor. Once pregnant, she told her sister about this and the sister was obviously not impressed. She harped on about it apparently, telling my friend that "Betty" would be picked on at school for having such a "square" name, that people would think she'd named her baby after the queen, etc. When I said something about name choices today she replied, sadly, that she'd let the idea of Elizabeth go because of all the crap that her (younger, childless) sister had given her about it. I think her sister is being a total, well, I won't say it here, but it's not a nice word. I told her to think about her name choices, discuss them with her DH and keep them a secret from fannies like her sister!

strawberryswing Tue 04-Dec-12 12:36:06

I'm going against the grainnl here, i told people the name i was going to give to my daughter mind people giving me their opinions. I had a couple of sneers, didnt mind in the slightest. It's a normal, classic name and not everyone is going to like it and I understand that. Aslong as the name isnt ridculous for the child, ignore it

Fwiw, Elizabeth is a lovely name, but your friend cant be put off a name because someone doesnt like it, otherwise her baby will have no name! smile

gail734 Tue 04-Dec-12 12:19:19

Winetta, I am not dissing the sister for being child-free, just suggesting that if SHE had ever had to spend a whole pregnancy listening to others chucking in their tuppence-worth about what the baby should be called, she might not do it! I think the sister is a spoilt madam who would just shake her head at every name suggestion, until my friend got to one that she approved of. Didn't make myself quite clear in my original post. It wasn't my friend who came up with "Betty" as a NN, but the sister, who did it in an EFFORT to put my friend off! She has actually been referring to the bump as "Betty Windsor" in a sarcastic tone. She is a horror, going on about how she'll be picked on at school etc. I'm surprised by the number of commentators here who have said, "Oh well, she couldn't have liked the name that much then, to be put off it so easily." My friend is a gentle soul, rather easily bossed around, who lacks the confidence of her outspoken sister. (Empty vessels...) She would have been alarmed by the sister's suggestion that calling a little girl would somehow make the child a victim of bullying.

vvviola - my own DH wouldn't let me call DD Victoria, because his family are Irish and he wouldn't have his daughter "named after an English queen". So I called her Katherine, after Katherine of Aragon, ha ha!

lopopo Tue 04-Dec-12 10:40:55

Like the name Elizabeth. But I wouldn't tell anyone the names I was considering for my baby. I just don't want to hear their opinion. If you announce it after the birth people just have to like it or lump it. My MIL admitted she wasn't keen on my son's name when she first heard it but she's got used to it and its her grandson's name.

Rudolphstolemycarrots Tue 04-Dec-12 10:36:00

Bessy

Rudolphstolemycarrots Tue 04-Dec-12 10:34:52

Also can be shortened to Eliza, Elsa etc ..

Rudolphstolemycarrots Tue 04-Dec-12 10:34:01

Tell her you love it. Find some Elizabeth name loving threads on the internet and show them to her.

I think it's a lovely name. Adore Liz, Betty, Beth, Lizzie etc. Very chic name.

AlienRefluxLooksLikeSnow Tue 04-Dec-12 10:32:22

My friend recently told me she was planning on calling her baby Honey now her and her DH call each other honey all the time so I automatically went hmm she knew straight away I wasn't keen and said so, I had to admit I wasn't but sure I'd get used to it, she has since changed her mind.
You can't lie when someone asks you, but if they don't don't tell them!

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 04-Dec-12 10:19:48

I think that sometimes feedback can be helpful,if the name is really bad but I'm talking more about "unique" names than classics.

However,there's nothing wrong with Elizabeth. The worst one could say about it is that it's not "unusual". It's a perfectly lovely name. Your friends sister is a bit odd. hmm

PurpleTinsel Tue 04-Dec-12 09:45:56

This is exactly why DH & I didn't tell anyone our shortlisted names until DS was here and officially named. If they pressed us, we'd come out with daft names like Englebert or Ernestine.

Signet2012 Tue 04-Dec-12 09:36:35

My 12 week old dd is Elizabeth. I've received nothing but compliments on her name and it suits her. I tend to call her lillibut as I called her that when she a bump. I will probably shorten it as she gets older when her personality is a bit more obvious. I love that she can have so many variations should she chose to.

vvviola Tue 04-Dec-12 08:40:44

Convert we did the same - told everyone the baby (then of unknown gender) would be called Gertrude Bartholomew (or Bartholomew Gertrude). grin

Meant everyone loved our real choice grin

Which incidentally, has Elizabeth as a middle name. I love the name, it's in my name too, and is in my Mum's & Grandmother's name too.

When we named DD2, and gave her the middle name of Victoria (from the female line of DH's family), there were a number of comments about how it was very odd that an Irish woman would name both her daughters after English queens. The extent of my response was: hmm

autumnmum Tue 04-Dec-12 08:32:38

I think your friends sister was very rude. the message everyone expecting should take from this thread is never tell anybody what you might call the new arrival. When I was pregnant I used to tell anyone who asked that I was going to call my baby Ulysses - that shut them up! (I didn't in case you were wondering)

minibmw2010 Tue 04-Dec-12 07:03:16

Guaranteed the sister wants to use Elizabeth and deliberately put her off !!!

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Tue 04-Dec-12 07:03:13

YANBU my MIL went out of her way to put DP and I off our favourite names angry it didnt work though and DD and DS have at least one in there somewhere.

I will admit to saying "WTF, you can't call your baby that!" sometimes when people tell me what they want to call their precious baby. But I say this INSIDE MY OWN HEAD. When it comes to baby names I go with the "if you can't say anything nice, keep it zipped" mantra. Apart from MIL's suggestions at what we should call our babies. Then I let rip because, well, she didnt hold back to spare my feelings did she? hmm

ripsishere Tue 04-Dec-12 06:55:25

I love Betty. It was what DD may have been called had it not sounded like Sweaty Twat with DHs surname.

INeedThatForkOff Tue 04-Dec-12 06:54:07

You're talking about my DD's name and nn here. She loves her nn and it suits her down to the ground - cute but not sickly sweet. Your friend's sister is a knob wink

Winetta Tue 04-Dec-12 06:49:11

I think your best friend's sister is being very mean - it's your friend's choice and hopefully she will not be put off. Not sure what the sister's childfree-ness has got to do with it, though.

reastie Tue 04-Dec-12 05:16:05

YANBU. MIL did this with me and some of my name choices (I remember a 'Martha? No, I once knew a Martha who wasn't very nice, you don't want to call her that' type of conversation hmm angry

sleepywombat Tue 04-Dec-12 05:13:11

I love Elizabeth too. It was most popular girls name year I was born - all three in my class at primary were Lizzie or Lizzy (no Betties)!

Know how she feels though. We were going to call ds1 Elijah. My mum made such a stupid fuss over it, saying it in a silly voice & going on about how awful it was. So we were put off it and called him something else. When we announced his birth & told my mum his name, she said 'oh, I had just begun to love Elijah'!

Lavenderhoney Tue 04-Dec-12 05:08:36

Elizabeth is a lovely name, and so is Betty, Betsy, lizzie etc. her sis was very unhelpful. I would take no notice and call the baby what I liked! For this very reason we refused to be drawn into relatives choosing our dc names or even discussing it, as it becomes a power struggle and I didn't want anyone cooing " ooh I choose your name, little lavender"

musicalendorphins Tue 04-Dec-12 03:11:50

I love the name Elizabeth, it was on my short list if I had a girl. I was going to call her Beth for short. and kill anyone who called her Betty or Liz

CoolaYuleA Mon 03-Dec-12 23:59:03

Someone I worked with asked me what we were going to call DD. I told her and she sniffed and said "Oh no, I don't like that, it's chavvy." shock

FWIW it's a classic name, not in the list of most popular but not off the wall, no random spelling and definitely NOT chavvy. (Whatever that actually means these days.) I don't think it was the fact that she didn't like the name it was that she actually came out with such a rude response. I didn't know her very well, and in that situation I would have said "that's nice" or something non-commital is I really hated it. I wouldn't have said it was "chavvy" even if it was Chardonnay spelt Sharr-donae because it's just bloody rude!

We still called her it - and it suits her. Don't know anyone else with her name, although that could be because I don't know any "chavs" grin

ddubsgirl Mon 03-Dec-12 23:29:25

In not on

ddubsgirl Mon 03-Dec-12 23:29:10

Holly & Jessica 2 girls murdered on soham

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 03-Dec-12 23:27:01

demented Holly and Jessica are the names of the little girls Ian Huntley murdered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now