to wonder why DS has been sent a 'girly' birthday card again?

(186 Posts)

He is 2.

I appreciate the receiving a card, I really do, but... this couple (who are/were friends are my MIL...now deceased) did the same thing on his birthday last year.

This year's is purple with pink butterflies... last year's I don't remember well but it was pink with a picture of a girl doing something birthday-like.

Cards not received last-minute so it wasn't like they thought they'd miss the post and had to send something they already had at home. Also money (or rather, lack of) not an issue here.

Is it odd thing for them to do? Am I being unreasonably ungrateful?

jamdonut Sat 01-Dec-12 08:06:47

Slightly off topic...referring to something earlier in tne thread....

My daughter (nearly 16) went shopping for jumpers. When she came home she had two really lovely chunky knit jumpers,from Primark, that loked gorgeous on her. She got them from the MENS department because she couldn't find anything she liked in Womens!!!

threesocksmorgan Sat 01-Dec-12 08:14:33

i had that problem. I had to get dd's christmas jumper from the mens bit.

I can't believe anyone would think a small boy would like butterflies!

It's PC gone mad!.

They should have got him a dinosaur card.

What will they get him next year? A card with kittens on!

Welovecouscous Sat 01-Dec-12 08:29:28

I might have done this pre DS as I didn't realise how strong gender stereotyping is on gifts for tiny kids. Why wouldn't a 2 year old boy like butterflies?

Welovecouscous Sat 01-Dec-12 08:29:59

This my son adores kittens and would live a card like that!

Oop, sorry couscous, I agree. I was being sarcastic.

TeddyBare Sat 01-Dec-12 08:34:49

YABU and ungrateful. Your ds can like purple and butterflies and it's nice that someone in his life recognises that, especially if you're busy trying to force him to do the stereotypical boy things.

differentnameforthis Sat 01-Dec-12 08:46:28

My daughter would (and was) in her element at receiving Thomas the Tank engine cards this year. Almost as excited as she was when she got Fireman Sam ones last year!

HazleNutt Sat 01-Dec-12 14:02:41

Interesting. So people saying YANBU and why would someone send a "wrong" gendered card, are at the same time claiming that dividing things to boys' and girls' doesn't matter the slightest, surely people can make their minds up themselves and buy what they want.

Well, that's what the people in OP did, and you are stating that they were wrong to choose something that was labelled (or looks like it could have been labelled) "for girls".

But still, gender stereotyping off cards and toys doesn't matter, oh no, not the slightest, no difference..

Hulababy Sat 01-Dec-12 15:25:15

Hallowennamschange - most 2 yo have an opinion on what they like. I responded to another poster who said they'd buy opposite gender specific cards on purpose. I questioned if they'd do it Even If they knew a child's preference and it was different to what the poster wanted to buy.

GrimmaTheNome Sun 02-Dec-12 16:43:45

Hula - I think the clue to that one is in the poster's name. Buying an 'opposite gendered' card is spot-on right if you know that's what the child likes - and spot-on wrong if you know they won't like it. If you don't know what the child likes - best get something neutral IMO (which to me includes something like Thomas the Tank Engine).

>Donkeys are asexual. They are the only asexual mammal living on land.
You know that expression 'hung like a horse'? They ain't got nothing on donkeys grin -fortunately this has little to do with children's toys, even those expensive German plastic animals don't dare do them justice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now