to keep these boots?

(109 Posts)
cat811 Thu 29-Nov-12 20:39:29

I think I probably am, but wanted to be persuaded otherwise...!

I ordered a pair of boots from Amazon on Sat, and joined the Prime thing to get them delivered on Mon (as it was the only day I could guarantee being in all day) I waited all day and they never appeared...I spoke to someone that evening who had no explanation and didn't seem bothered, but eventually told me they'd tried to deliver but I'd been out. I checked on the tracking system (which had been blank all day) which suddenly said they'd tried to deliver at 1pm and had left a calling card. I was standing at my front door from 12.50 to 1.10 talking to someone, so this was impossible!
No real apology but they guaranteed the boots would be delivered on Tues, and could be left with a neighbour as I was at work. Cue another day of boots not coming. Spoke to them again Tues evening - they eventually apologised (Amazon tracking said boots had been delivered, but delivery system's said they were still in depot from Monday waiting for me to contact them via calling card...confused) and said they would send out a new pair Express on Wed so I would have them by lunchtime. Got an email 2 hours later saying there were none left in stock so they would refund me (though when I looked on Amazon I could still click to buy a new pair!)

I gave up...and then this afternoon they were sitting on my doorstep waiting for me! Refund has come through from Amazon now - their refund email did say at the very bottom that if boots did end up coming to make sure I sent them back, or contacted them so they could take the payment again.....I can't just keep the boots and keep quiet can I? blush Not entirely sure I love them enough to pay the extortionate amount they cost - but part of me also wonders if it will be as much of a huge hassle to return them as it was to get them...

Tell me I'm BU to consider keeping them and keeping quiet...

whois Fri 30-Nov-12 08:35:04

I would keep them as well and I don't know anyone in RL who wouldn't tbh

Yeah... Tend to agree with that!

FYI I had a similar instance with amazon and yodel. Lower value but said it had been attempted to deliver (they hadn't) then a card saying it had been left in a safe place. There is no safe place (block of flats onto main road!) and there was no parcel. Phones amazon and got a refund. About 10 days later the parcel turned up battered and wet. I kept it.

I couldnt't keep them, not without at least paying a good chunk of the cost to a charity. Mind you, I was almost home when I realised that I'd left with a top that was £4 in the sale that I hadn't paid for, so I walked back to M&S to pay for it. blush

I just know that everytime I wore them, I'd know they were stolen. sad

valiumredhead Fri 30-Nov-12 08:51:06

Ha ha ha giving money to charity doesn't make it right grin

ForFoxsGlacierMints Fri 30-Nov-12 08:57:33

Not, not, mine; Not,not,mine!

Kalisi Fri 30-Nov-12 09:06:03

I would absolutely keep them. And sleep like a baby too! grin

cat811 Fri 30-Nov-12 09:08:48

Aaaaggghh-there weren't meant to be so many of you telling me to keep them! I wanted to be told off so that I didn't think I had any choice but to send them back! Think I'll go with the courier option, but with a very specific time window...grin

Cortana Fri 30-Nov-12 09:20:14

I would keep them and feel no remorse.

If a product has so little value to a company to where they will leave it on someone's doorstep, no signature or proof of receipt, I wouldn't keep myself awake over their financial loss.

<bad person>

I'd keep them.

and if amazon queried it I'd tell them someone else must have took them if they were left on the step.

I don't believe in hell so can't go there.

MrsReiver Fri 30-Nov-12 09:40:24

I had something similar with a tshirt for DH, t shirt never arrived, I chased them up, they apologised and sent another one. I ended up with two tees. I emailed telling them I'd be returning one of them and they told me to keep it.

You never know, if you're honest you might just get a pair of (guilt) free boots, I certainly couldn't keep them.

I'd keep them. I ordered a new dress for my birthday off an online fashion retailer that shall not be named. It never turned up although they told me over and over that it had. I tried all houses in the terrace (8 of them) and the pub across the street but no luck. They eventually refunded me. About 3 weeks later I had to nip into my letting office at the end of the street (was in a student house at the time) to pay rent, and the women said, "oh you're from 33, there's a package here for you", cue confused look from me. Turned out to be the dress! I kept it on sheer principle that if you employ someone stupid enough to leave a package at the wrong address THAT ISN'T EVEN A HOUSE (I got no calling card) and expect the lazy fuckers that work in a student letting agency to deliver it 20 yards down the street then you are not going to miss 40 quid from me.

Definitively keep them OP.

Or you can definitely keep them GOD THUMBS

FeckOffCup Fri 30-Nov-12 09:54:50

I would probably keep them, not your fault if people in their company can't do their jobs properly. Although I would be worried about getting found out later and charged for them. Not the same thing but I was in my local supermarket a while ago for a few bits of shopping including a pack of nappies and the cashier was more interested in talking to her colleague than concentrating on scanning the shopping, she didn't put the nappies through the till before she put them in the bag but I kept schtum and paid for the other shopping and left.

HoneyDragon Fri 30-Nov-12 09:58:49

I wouldn't. I'd be too pissed off to keep them and let them know.

And no amazon don't may corporation tax. But unlike Starbucks Amazon are cheap, so there's not going to be a boycott - people think with their pockets.

It's stealing. If you feel comfortable with it keep them.

RooneyMara Fri 30-Nov-12 10:05:02

This is tricky...I wouldn't feel right keeping them, but equally I wouldn't want to pay to return them after wasting so much timewith no apology and being lied to about the delivery.

It wasn't citylink I suppose? I had this a few weeks ago when they were supposed to collect a huge parcel from me - I was in all day, they didn't show. Called and was told the delivery driver hadn't done his job properly, they'd rebook for the next day.
Next day same thing - no one even tried to collect. Rang again, same thing again.
Third booking and third day, also wasted - this time when I called, around 5pm, she said well I'll tell you what, he won't be collecting it today...then she disappeared and came back and said, he says he tried to collect it around lunchtime, but no one was in (I was in - parcel was also on doorstep, just in case I was out in the back garden etc) and that they had emailed to say they had tried to collect it. Bollocks, that was so untrue!

I cancelled it and got Parcelforce instead. These people will lie, I'm sure of it, they had collected the previous week so it wasn't like they didn't know where my house was.

I just refuse to use them any more.

I've know someone who has done it <shifty eyes...>
Delivery man put item in the bin when no answer at door. Person complained they hadnt received item, amazon sent another, few days later package was found in bin.

As an alternative, could you just e-mail them, say they've arrived and pay for them? surely the only options aren't keep the boots for free or send them back. don't you actually still need a pair of boots?

I had something similar where I ordered a book from America and it took ages to arrive. In the meantime, I'd given up waiting and been refunded by the company. As I still wanted the item when it finally arrived, I e-mailed them and paid for the item again. It didn't occur to me to just keep it for free - they had sent me an item to purchase and I needed to pay for it.

I'd probably keep them, but I am morally dubious.

openerofjars Fri 30-Nov-12 12:23:06

Tell them they can have them back when they start paying tax...

TartyMcTart Fri 30-Nov-12 12:24:05

A couple of weeks ago my mum had a delivery left in her wheelie bin when they were away (as agreed with the store). She got back from holiday and excitedlylooked in said bin for the clothes but there wasn't anything there. A few phone calls later and the company apologised profusely and resent the item.

A few days later she found out that the neighbour across the raod had kindly wheeled the bin out to by emptied and the brand new clothes had gone straight into the recycling truck...

BigusBumus Fri 30-Nov-12 12:28:33

I'd keep them in a heartbeat.

cat811 Fri 30-Nov-12 13:20:55

I know fire - it's only because as I said they're not entirely perfect (if I hadn't had all this fuss I would probably have swapped them for a different size to see if the fit was a bit better) so i don't want to pay a lot of money for something that's not exactly right (though they are wearable and I could survive with them).
Which probably means I don't need to be keeping them at all....grin

HaudYerWheeshtFannyBaws Fri 30-Nov-12 14:52:12

I'd keep them. Too much faff in getting them sent back

sixlostmonkeys Fri 30-Nov-12 15:38:49

As a wise old crook used to say to me - if you are going to steal something make sure it's worth millions: very embarrassing getting caught for stealing a tin of beans.

Email them and ask them to collect them from your house. the ball is in their court then.

Keep them! It's not as if Amazon can't afford it

Gillyweed001 Fri 30-Nov-12 16:00:32

On a separate note, not sure if you know that the Amazon Prime takes a monthly payment from you after the first month, which is free?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now