to want to shout at people in the q in front of me......

(122 Posts)
purpleraindance Thu 29-Nov-12 19:17:33

for not sorting out their purse/money/card when theyve been stood in the q for ages? why faff & act suprised that you have to pay for your damn shopping? oh & have you got your co-op card? oh yes, hang on a minute..... forgot where you are lovey?! i have better things to do than watch you faff..........

VodkaJelly Thu 06-Dec-12 08:39:06

I went to the cashpoint the other day. I drove into the carpark, and on passing the cash machines saw that there was a woman at one and a couple at the other one.

I parked my car (some distance away), walked up to the cashpoint as the couple were finishing, used the cashpoint, walked the distance back to my car and as I was getting in the woman who was there using the first cashpoint had finally finished - what the hell was she doing????

Groovee Thu 06-Dec-12 08:04:54

Its the ones who push to the front of the bus queue to get on the bus then yank out their money and count out £1.40 in change instead of having it ready. We don't have all day to wait on you being disorganised when there is a huge queue waiting on the bus with their passes and money ready!

Sokmonsta Thu 06-Dec-12 07:57:28

I've pondered this a lot lately. In my experience, cashier puts stuff through, I pay then have to pack while cashier starts pushing next customer's stuff through.

My conclusion? Yabu. I will pack my things then get my purse and loyalty cards out to pay. Tough shit if that holds you up for all of a few seconds. Far better that than trying to pack at the same time as someone else's shopping comes towards me.

AlienRefluxLooksLikeSnow Mon 03-Dec-12 11:43:07

I feel your pain purple I do. But you know what the answer is? Slow the fuck down, leave much more time than you think you need, then you will be having a nice day out too, and time for a chat, a laugh, time to be kind to others, who may only get their human interaction from the sodding check out, honestly, don't rush so much, it will transform your life, and blood pressure, it's not good for the baby, to be so stressed out.

MonkeyRisotto Mon 03-Dec-12 11:13:41

I was also a bit hmm a few months back when I came to the self service checkout at our local (enormous) Tescos, which only had 4 self service checkouts at the time, 2 of which were broken, there was quite a queue and I realised that at one of them was someone with a full, large trolley. I mean, really?!

Montybojangles Mon 03-Dec-12 10:17:16

You don't live near Chelmsford do you by any chance OP? When I moved to the village my neighbour advised me to take a book and a big pinch of patience with me when I ventured to the coop.
Like you I work long hours, and the often none working card machine, plus the fact they often have only 1 person in the tills can drive me nuts, but not the people in the queue.
Please remember that while you may be living a hectic life with lots of family/public interaction, for some of the elderly/lonely people shopping there that might be their only chance to have a little chat with someone that day. Give them a break, or drive to the next town/bigger supermarket to do the self serve thing.

MonkeyRisotto Mon 03-Dec-12 09:38:27

I'm with you OP, is it so difficult to get your cards out of your purse into a pocket, while you wait for the previous person to go through?

I think some of the YABU replies must be from people who are recognising their selfishness and are trying to deflect.

Put 'em all in Room 101 with those folks that selfishly block a junction in a queue of traffic cos they're only thinking about themselves rather than those around them.

Janeatthebarre Fri 30-Nov-12 10:53:22

Sorry, not OPs. It was the responders coming up with the mad scenarios.

Janeatthebarre Fri 30-Nov-12 10:52:28

Wasn't there a funny thread on here recently about OPs coming up with mad scenarios in order to be able to chant YABU. I can't find it or remember the title but otherwise would provide a link.

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Fri 30-Nov-12 10:49:46

OP have to say you have drip fed a lot.

You need to make your life as stress free as possible.

Take your lunch to work and go for a walk after you've eaten it.

badfurday Fri 30-Nov-12 10:46:32

Im with you Purple. Its fecking annoying, yes if they are disabled, have kids etc I can understand, but if its a perfectly able bodied person they should be suprised when they get asked to pay and not have their sodding purse ready! Im aware of the person behind me and try and be as quick as possible. Another annoying thing is waiting for people to finish putting their purse etc in their hand bag afterwards - walk away from the checkout area and do this, thats what I always do so as not to slow down the line.

purpleraindance Fri 30-Nov-12 10:37:47

thanks so much jane :-):-):-):-)

Janeatthebarre Fri 30-Nov-12 10:30:07

By the way OP I think some of the comments and worst case scenarios being presented on here to make you look U are way OTT.

Janeatthebarre Fri 30-Nov-12 10:25:01

YANBU. Most people manage to get through the checkout without causing unnecessary hold ups, so why do some people have to stand around waiting until everything has been checked through before starting to pack their bags, waiting until all the bags have been packed before rooting for their laser card etc etc etc
Yes, obviously there are situations where someone has a disability. But I don't think the OP is talking about those situations. Some people are just completely unaware of the queue behind them and the people they are holding up. You see it on buses as well. Someone who has been standing waiting at the stop for ten minutes waits until they get on the bus to start rummaging around looking for their purse. Really annoying.

purpleraindance Fri 30-Nov-12 10:17:06

thanks alli :-) thats what i mean & then to look shocked when asked for your loyality card & then check/read your reciept with a huge queue behind you is frustrating. i check my reciept by moving to one side &any problems will wait for the person to finish being served & ask. your in a queue, you have plenty of time to sort yourself out.

Alligatorpie Fri 30-Nov-12 10:08:50

YANBU

You know you have to pay when it is your turn at the cashier, surely you could be prepared for it, not get that surprised look on your face and then start digging around in your bag. Fine, you don't want to get your money out until the last minute, but at least know where it is.

It drives me mental too.

purpleraindance Fri 30-Nov-12 09:23:39

i have mh problems such as anxiety & panic attacks & would panic if i kept a queue waiting. ive also had major back surgery but still class myself as able bodied as no need for crutches (anymore) or a wheelchair.

how much time does it take to make sure you know where your purse/loyality conversation? :-)

Hopeforever Thu 29-Nov-12 23:09:27

I used to want 5 kids and a full time job, but I'm the one with 2 kids and unable to have more or work due to illness. I look fully healthy but may well dither at the check out as my brain is on go slow by the time I've made it round the shop.

Don't worry, I'll stick to Internet shopping so I don't dither at the village shop any more. Sadly I'll be lonely, but I won't be bothering anyone any more.

Perhaps you could use your time at the check out counting your blessings

You have a job
Your DH is also working
You have kids
You have the money to buy lunch
You are capable of power walking
You know where your purse, ticket, keys and brain are

And breathe

psychomum5 Thu 29-Nov-12 21:33:01

my DH is self employed too....also stupid hours, and when I was pregnant was working away. Oh the fun we had then hmm

psychomum5 Thu 29-Nov-12 21:30:35

well congratulations on baby #5. He or she will be the sweetest thing until he/she hits 18mths.

Mine was at least grin

Do you ever notice how the shortest queue always ends up being the slowest.

now THAT rankles me!

scurryfunge Thu 29-Nov-12 21:28:37

I get privately annoyed at the ditherers but in the grand scheme of things it does not really matter.

Viviennemary Thu 29-Nov-12 21:23:01

I totally hate queues in supermarkets. I run up and down looking for the shortest one, but have to take into consideration how full the baskets are , how much has already been unloaded, how quick the cashier looks, how likely they are to have to ring the bell for assistance. That always happens to the person in front of me. Even worse than the ones searching for their card are the ones at the end of it all, who have to put everything back in their purse, zip up the purse zip up their handbag, put on their gloves and so on and so on. Grrrr!!

DudeIAmSoFuckingRock Thu 29-Nov-12 21:21:36

take your sarnie ingredients with you to work in tupperware (other brands are available) and a coolbag and make your snadwich at work.

purpleraindance Thu 29-Nov-12 21:19:09

or the reciept at the checkout :-D

SisterSally Thu 29-Nov-12 21:17:03

Haha i love the ones who check the receipt in the doorway. Grr!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now