For wanting to stop this biscuit incident?

(114 Posts)
Cbh1978 Tue 27-Nov-12 18:54:00

Shopping centre. Tuesday afternoon. Warrington. Millies Cookies. Mother and (I think) her parents are with a child in a pushchair. Child aged six months approx.

They buy cookies, then give a whole one the size of the baby's head to the baby. Baby not overly impressed I have to say. Granny even remarked 'oh, don't you like it'?

Agggghhhhh!!!! I managed to resist stomping over but then wondered if I was then complicit in this.

10mins later I saw baby with just a stump of biscuit in her tiny hand. I just hope she had thrown the rest somewhere.

Perhaps it is just that I am a tad sensitive to sugar and salt etc issues. Our 11mth old has only had sugar and salt in bread. Have to confess I can't be bothered to make sugar-free bread but not so much as a Petit Filous has passed his lips. His first sugar rush will be his first birthday cake.

Really, they don't need it. Not even in stewed fruit.

Live and let live... Maybe. :-/

<clutches pearls> Will nobody think of the goats biscuits? grin

OO and I just noticed your name Cbh and will never be able to get "Can't Be Harsed" out of my head grin sorry grin
Namechange could be your friend or mine! here grin

JesusInTheCabbageVan Fri 30-Nov-12 18:45:13

First thread! Baptism of fire then. Don't worry; in no time at all you'll get an opportunity to pile in and help give someone else a kicking. Probably someone who starts a thread to say that they don't see any harm in giving babies head-sized cookies. That's how it works on here wink

Cbh1978 Fri 30-Nov-12 21:54:09

Thanks Jesus. Was feeling it wasn't really for me after PomBear's comment about my initials. As for some other comments...Not the best welcome, but you have been friendlier, thank you. :-) Am very able to laugh at self, deal with the 'get a life' comments etc. but was bugged by the attack on my initials for some reason! Don't worry, won't start a whole AIBU thread about it... Today was near the same place and saw a kid of approx 18mths with a large frapuccino. Not sure I can spell frapuccino...

witchface Fri 30-Nov-12 22:06:57

One day my daughter had pom bears, a greggs sausage roll and a fruit shoot.

I had to hold myself back from posting on mumsnet about myself (although only the pombears were from me).

CaptainVonTrapp Fri 30-Nov-12 22:14:31

Cbh can't be bothered to make sugar free bread? You lazy bitch...

Wow some people on here need to go and pour themselves an extra glass of wine tonight...

shellshock7 Fri 30-Nov-12 22:18:52

What's wrong with petit filous?!

Honest question!

RandallPinkFloyd Fri 30-Nov-12 22:26:37

Oh don't worry about it op we've all had our arses handed to us at least once.

Yes, you may have sounded like a bit of an arse but I don't think anyone will be getting the pitchforks out anytime soon. grin

FWIW I'm quite pfb about DS's but a poster on a thread the other day said that breadsticks were strictly a treat food only!

Seriously, I was sorely tempted to ask what she considered mundane food grin

(I am loving the be-tamoshanta'd smilies!)

RandallPinkFloyd Fri 30-Nov-12 22:29:11

*I'm quite pfb about DS's diet. angry

(excellent excuse for another of the wee scottish grins though!)

Cbh1978 Fri 30-Nov-12 23:40:12

Shellshock, it is the refined sugar content. Like adding a couple of teaspoons of sugar to each pot. Or something. Anyway, we just choose to stick to the olum/rachel's yoghurts that are more expensive (grrrr) but contain only the natural sugars in the fruit that is used to flavour them. They are not as sweet at all if you taste one, but DS still gets overly excited with much leg waggling when the fridge door is opened to get one out.

Cbh1978 Fri 30-Nov-12 23:40:43

ps Love petit filous for myself! :-)

Cbh1978 Sat 01-Dec-12 09:58:52

Thinking about it, one poster said it was 12g of sugar per 100g so probably about one teaspoon in each, not two (before Nestle tries to sue me!)...

Jins Sat 01-Dec-12 10:28:30

Refined sugar or fruit sugar - it's all sugar! Fructose is a marginally more complicated molecule than sucrose but it's all treated the same way by the digestive system.

I think if something doesn't taste as sweet it's probably better though. You definitely get used to high levels of sweetness, I could never have drunk coffee without sugar a few years ago but now I can't drink it with sugar in.

I'm in the camp that while a bit of sugar does no harm there is far too much sugar added to everyday things. I'd rather have sugar in the form of biscuits, sweets etc when it's a conscious decision than hoovering it up in pasta sauces or other foods when it's disguised by added salt

Cbh1978 Sun 02-Dec-12 15:35:31

Agree on all counts Jins. :-) Somehow, that is unnecessary sugar, whereas it would be a tad tricky to extract the fructose from a peach. :-/ And as said above, would rather give real sugar than sweeteners any day.
My mum weaned us off sugar in our tea when I was about six and now can't stand it in tea. I don't have a particularly sweet tooth but am old enough to make choices etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now