Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Moaning mn career mums.Yes you...

(1000 Posts)
Jenna2012 Mon 26-Nov-12 23:01:36

Been reading various threads on mn with interest for several weeks now.why do u ladies feel do pessimistic about ur work life balance and compete with the ' oh poor me title'. If you want a better quality of life, surely u can downsize and have less financial Responsibilty and then look after ur dc yourself instead of paying others to look after them. I just don't get why you have kids unless you wanna love And look them yourself. This doesnt apply to single parents.is the financial gain worth it?

Can I just point out that whilst I am the bread winner I don't bring home any bacon at all...

After all I don't eat meat and DH and the kids are muslim.

WTF would we do with bacon (even if its been cooked in coke or treacle or whatever)

HoneyDragon Tue 27-Nov-12 18:12:07

And to point out my shitness as an employee.

It took me 10 minutes to break a new 1.3 million computer system. Resulting in a shut down for the entire day.

And me hiding under my desk for 3 hours.

Tweasels Tue 27-Nov-12 18:12:01

This is what I do when I'm not at work. Argue with strangers on the Internet.

Honeydragon, you blued the baby into legend status on here.

That is your true vocation and gift to mostlywomenbutsometimesmenkind

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 27-Nov-12 18:10:12

*live in pjs ....whoops.

ifso Tue 27-Nov-12 18:09:36

in Jenna's world, we'd all be living in shoeboxes, eating cereal 3 times a day, looking out of the window watching the working world go by...it's a bit of a skewed communist ideal isnt it Jenna, to want everyone to do little with their lives, just to make others feel ok? Let's call it the pack mentality of the havenots getting their little bit of control on anyone who strives for more

i dread the thought if we all thought like you I really do

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 27-Nov-12 18:09:31

see, right now im signed off for a week (two really but im going to sneak back early - needs must and all that) and ive discovered i need to work or i just dont get dressed. ever. i just in pjs and eat cereal. no bacon. we need the bacon.

Jins Tue 27-Nov-12 18:08:56

I have ' achieved' raising a child, having a solid and blessed marriage.my Dp is my best friend. Having a beautiful clean home with daily cooked meals. is that wrong of me?

I missed this gem!

The child is 3!!!! You've barely started raising it yet

Come back in 15 years with your smugness.

HoneyDragon Tue 27-Nov-12 18:08:51

Whoaaaah there

Who the hell says if you a Sahp you have to be good at it?

I immaced the baby, dyed her blue and only last month accidentially balded her....again.
My dogs brain is fucked.
Ds reduced his teacher to a hysterical wreck in the supplies cupboard after he called a TA misogynistic. I haven't ironed properly since the nineties and my house is literally falling apart.
Oh and I said shit in the school play ground last week.

I'll have you ALL know I am a shit employee and parent, thank you!

That would be me if I were at home.

Jeremy kyle, jerry springer, Maury.

I'd never leave the house.

margarethamilton Tue 27-Nov-12 18:07:04

FWIW...

I was told there was very little chance I would ever get pregnant or carry a child. But thanks to brilliant fertility experts I am typing this with a sleeping three month old in my lap. I have worked all my life. I am educated to post grad level. I have been in my current career for 13 years. I have loved it but it has changed beyond all recognition (and more so whilst I've been on maternity leave).

If I was being honest, I wouldn't go back next summer. We could probably afford it if we made some cutbacks. For now, raising the DD I never thought I'd have feels like enough. But I don't know if I can say I'll feel like that forever. Does that make me neglectful? Selfish? Lacking in moral values?

I get the feeling the OPs issues surrounding this are inextricably linked to the poor parenting she feels she experienced. My mom had a terrible mother, a seriously emotionally abusive childhood, so she was raised by my great grandma and a bevy of aunts and uncles. Not all children benefit from being raised by mom only.

Good luck OP. Seriously.

It was for the best Jamie

When Kyle is the highlight of your day, it's time to change for sanity-sake grin

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 27-Nov-12 18:05:20

Ah well, that hasn't ended yet, MrWolef

DH does the ironing chez Scarlett too Tantrums

Like I said, shite housefrau, me.

Dh is reading this thread and has pointed out that Jenna's DH can't be doing all that well, if she is still getting child benefit.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 27-Nov-12 18:03:26

Katie

I was a SAHM for 10 years. Was basically bobbins at it. Can't bake, dislike cooking, can't sew. No will-powre when faced with Jeremy Kyle.

It had to stop

Narked Tue 27-Nov-12 18:03:01

She can fill in the gaps when Peter Andre isn't loving his kids so much

grin StillSquiffy

Latchkey Kid was stretching it a bit, TBH, seeing as how DD is almost 18 and DS has to shave every day, but hey ho wink

katie me too. Fucking excellent at my job.
Bloody useless SAHM.

I reckon my DH would have loved a "housewife"
Then he met me. And Realised that was never going to happen.

I'd be no good at the "clean house, ironed shirts, dinner on the table at 6pm" stuff. DH irons my work clothes.

Tweasels Tue 27-Nov-12 18:02:16

grin northernlurker. Mumsnet's new tag line.

United in the face of total absurdity

SirBoobAlot Tue 27-Nov-12 18:01:57

Seeing this thread will be full soon, just wanted to add...

You're a twat.

And seeing as you say right at the start your husband doesn't want you to return to work, I'd say he's a prick.

And if you both have these kind of ideas about a woman's position, I feel sorry for any children you have.

I am now really disappointed that Jenna has returned to the thread, and still hasn't commented on my wise and sensible postings about the costs of downsizing, and how few other women are in the privileged position of having a father who owns several companies and can give them a job when they want to go back to their career.

Anyone would think she was ignoring posts that might make her change her views.

Tweasels Tue 27-Nov-12 17:59:24

Ham cheese? Cham

Maryz. Of course Jenna will be back, we couldn't have made her/him more welcome.

TrueNorthern

I coulda been a SAHM (Brando voice), DH would have loved it (still would).

But I'd have been shite at it. My best mate, OTOH is a SAHM genius, she can cook like a chef, is good at crafts, likes children, likes taking care of her home, is interested in the PTA, etc, etc.

Basically all the things I'm not.

I'm shit hot at my job though grin

Horses for courses, IMO.

melliebobs Tue 27-Nov-12 17:59:16

Downsize?! Downsize to what?????!!!! You have seen the waiting list for social housing? No?!

This thread is not accepting new messages.