To secretly lust after the cakes in the Iceland Xmas advert?

(91 Posts)
FunBagFreddie Mon 26-Nov-12 14:24:46

Iceland gets a right slating from lots of people on MN, and I stay well clear of the place myself. However, I do find myself drooling over the cakes (especially the Baileys ones) on their Xmas ad, despite them being kind of cheap and nasty.

So, AIBU to secretly lust after Icelend cakes and maybe get a big creamy one in for Xmas? My friends would be horrified! grin

Maryz Mon 26-Nov-12 14:36:32

I've never been in there, or eaten any of the food, so I find myself lusting after it all blush.

Especially the little chocolate eclairs and some of the prawn-in-patry-bits.

I'd even like to have a try at their prawn ring.

But I suspect I have unsophisticated tastes.

Mandy2003 Mon 26-Nov-12 14:39:38

There's something on the front of The Sun this morning about a voucher inside for a free Iceland Strawberry E Number Custard Tart Slice or some such, if you really feel the urge grin

FunBagFreddie Mon 26-Nov-12 14:41:29

But don't you find that you just fancy something like that sometimes Maryz? smile

It's a bit like when you are hungover and only a sneaky Burger King can sort you out. blush

InNeedOfBrandy Mon 26-Nov-12 14:42:54

The bailys cheesecake is lovely, I think morrisons sell the same one to around christmas.

InNeedOfBrandy Mon 26-Nov-12 14:43:31

Oh and I don't mind shopping in iceland, I'm not a snob about shops smile

Maryz Mon 26-Nov-12 14:43:48

I suspect my liking of them would be directly proportional to the amount of wine I had imbibed grin.

I'm in Ireland. I have only just realised that there is an Iceland in Dublin. I might try to find it between now and Christmas so I have a freezer full of emergency food.

I have three teenagers. They aren't fussy. e-number tart would be great for when they have bottomless pits friends to stay.

SoleSource Mon 26-Nov-12 14:45:55

I have shopped in Iceland a few times but not for years. I want the Bailey's profiteroles cake and tbe after dinner mints and the mini beef burgers and the strawberry cakes and the Iceland party food range really blush all of it so there isn't one pack left, it's all in my multiple frezers.

ObiWan Mon 26-Nov-12 14:47:19

You are an actual grown up. You can buy as many cakes as you want, from where ever you want. It is one of the few advantages of being (quite) old.

Iceland sell Coppenrath & Wiese cakes, which are lovely.

Lose your inner snob, and embrace the cakes. It will set you free.

Their cakes are vile. They are so full of preservatives and that's what they taste like.

So to blow the illusion!

FunBagFreddie Mon 26-Nov-12 14:48:11

I also think wine has a lot to do with it Maryz. I get the right munchies when I've had a drink. Right now I suspect that PMT has a lot to do with my lust for Icelands cakeage though.

DP is a bit of a health fanatic, but I think he'll come round. I'm not a shop snob as such, but we don't have a local Iceland anyway.

Baileys cheese cake, that sounds scrumptious. grin

Maryz Mon 26-Nov-12 14:48:44

I don't suppose there is anyone on here who would admit to eating any of it recently (you could name-change first I suppose, and have a couple of glasses of wine), and tell us which bits are nice.

I suspect quite a lot of is is very edible.

SoleSource Mon 26-Nov-12 14:49:42

Hmm imagine the cakes etc are yuck. I've turned Into Verucca Salt

InNeedOfBrandy Mon 26-Nov-12 14:49:49

I want greggs sausage rolls and pastys mmm
and then there fake bailys is pretty good and fake malibu and archers
a black forest cake thingy (can't spell the g word)
money bag party range
and buffalo chicken wings

and while we're at it I love a chicken kiev mmm

Maryz Mon 26-Nov-12 14:50:05

Go away Tee.

You are American, so have Americanised taste-buds. I still hanker after 1970's school food grin.

Bailey's Cheesecake sounds hopeful.

Maryz Mon 26-Nov-12 14:50:32

Oh, chicken wings. Yum.

MrsBucketxx Mon 26-Nov-12 14:50:57

i think they look scrummy too.

i might even be getting the baileys one mmmmm

SoleSource Mon 26-Nov-12 14:51:52

It's spelt as you say it Brandy, gatuxx. Do they really sell Greggs in Iceland?

FunBagFreddie Mon 26-Nov-12 14:52:37

I'm sick of being mostly virtuous and living off vegetables and pulses. blush

Additives seem very appealing right now, especially as I'll be 'visiting the red planet' next week. I always crave deliciously unhealthy food just before my 'Mars mission'.

SoleSource Mon 26-Nov-12 14:53:07

Now you're talking Maryz. Chocolate concrete cake, for moi taste buds.

InNeedOfBrandy Mon 26-Nov-12 14:53:24

Oh thanks sole, and yes in the first freezer on the left sausage rolls, cheese and onion pastys and apple turnovers.

Pandemoniaa Mon 26-Nov-12 14:54:58

I went to a BBQ where several visually luscious Iceland cakes were served. Sadly they were indeed "all fur coat and no knickers" taste-wise.

You know, I'm a horrible food snob but I think some of it looks quite naice smile

I was telling someone at the school how I won't buy the horrible Kinnerton character advent calendars because the chocolate is grim - she said actually Kinnerton make chocolate for M&S shock

SoleSource Mon 26-Nov-12 14:55:08

Do they taste as nice as they do from the bakery?

InNeedOfBrandy Mon 26-Nov-12 14:56:09

Yes sole they are lush! You get a hot straight out your oven greggs in your living room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now