On lcal radio this morning: 'Do they know it's Christmas' parody about credit cards and overdrafts and not wanting to go in Topshop

(30 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

missymoomoomee Mon 26-Nov-12 09:37:45

It wouldn't bother me tbh. Its only a a tune that they have nicked, they aren't taking the piss out of people starving. Yabu.

aprilrain Mon 26-Nov-12 09:40:05

Well personally I agree with the sentiment behind it (from what you say, I didn't hear it). Christmas these days is all about greed, spending on unnecessary things we don't need and getting into debt doing so. Meanwhile, people in other parts of the world don't have enough food, access to decent healthcare or education. There is enough to go around but it's not being shared out properly. All part of the same problem, no?

bradywasmyfavouriteking Mon 26-Nov-12 10:17:22

Yabu. They have borrowed a piece of music.

EchoBitch Mon 26-Nov-12 10:25:58

I agree it's pretty dire but that's Christmas.

I wonder what Bob Geldof and Midge Ure make of it. shock

EchoBitch Mon 26-Nov-12 10:28:45

Although i always did think the song was patronizing in that most of the victims of that famine would have likely been Muslim so wouldn't have though alot about Christmas in the first place.

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 26-Nov-12 10:29:44

EchoBitch Mon 26-Nov-12 10:32:23

It's nearly 30 years old but i would have though BG and MU would still own the rights,not sure how long the rights are held for before anyone can record a song.

MsVestibule Mon 26-Nov-12 10:36:59

StewieGriffinsMom Not sure you quite you managed to keep your personal opinion on Bob Geldof to yourself there grin.

ginslinger Mon 26-Nov-12 10:41:34

I only listened to the first bit and it brought out all my grinchness too. I hate it.

Mandy2003 Mon 26-Nov-12 10:48:57

Perhaps, just perhaps, he means that if there was less consumerism then there would be less inequality in the world - resources would be shared more fairly? confused

NOThypocondriac Mon 26-Nov-12 10:52:34

Personally I think I'd only feel free to be offended if I hadn't spent a single penny on the consumerist side of Christmas and hadn't got a penny of debt due to unnecessary consumer goods and had donated everything I could to the starving/needy - otherwise it's quite a fair parody. 99.9% of us spend more than we should on Christmas, most of us spend more than we can afford so this song seems just as apt as a multi-millionaire whining about whether the starving billions will get any snow - I suppose Africans are only starving over Christmastime, the rest of the year they're absolutely stuffed full?

One person has commented about it being innapproriate. Have you outed yourself Bastard grin

mrskeithrichards Mon 26-Nov-12 10:57:47

Nope sorry I've tried, I've searched high and low but I simply cannot find a fuck to give.

FromEsme Mon 26-Nov-12 11:01:33

OP, you have totally outed yourself, I'd get this deleted.

grin
Seems a popular opinion then, what are the odds?

FromEsme Mon 26-Nov-12 11:04:50

Of them using exactly the same language and having the same job as you?

EchoBitch Mon 26-Nov-12 11:06:36

I agreed with the Bastard too,but just think that Christmas is a shallow affair and nothing surprises me.

<old and jaded>

You have the same job? You must work with them!

NOThypocondriac Mon 26-Nov-12 11:15:05

And that random commenter also likes Mumsnet - OP you've found your long lost twin!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now