Religion was IBU

(58 Posts)
altinkum Thu 22-Nov-12 20:51:53

At work today and we (staff) wee discussion what out children wanted.

Staff member say "Sam" said she had gotten her daughter, a telescope as space and stars fascinated her, (her not the daugher) and that us humans didn't really know what was going on, up above.

She went onto say that when Mary road a donkey to Bethlehem what a "pile of crap" the whole bible is, and that donkeys were proven not to exist in that time, FACT FACT even more FACT!!! (didnt matter what anyone said) I said fair enought but as a Roman Catholic I dont believe in your opinion.

She then went on to say that it was a whole pile of crap, and that eveolution it was, I asked her to stop the discussion as I thought she was rude, and disrespectful to my faith. Again she tried to say her opinion, I think I must have repeated that she just continue her work and stop the discussion. (I wven told her to go away numerous times) told her why I didn't want to speak about it further as I though she was beig disrespectful. I didn't want to make a big deal out of it, as people are entitled to their opinion, but I just didn't want to hear it, as I would not be changing my mind on my faith and neither would I be changing her mind. (She over a 10 min period tried to explain her opinion and I repeatedly asked her to drop it.

About 5 mins later she came back and said (no idea why this is relevant that her father was christened and that she was at a catholic wedding at the weekend??!!??

Again I told her to drop it and I didn't want to carry in the conversation, at this point she left.

One of my other colleagues asked if I was ok, I said I was, just felt that it was disrespectful, althrough entitled to her opinion, with that collegue came barging in and said "if I had anything to say, say it to her face" I said I was talking about her directly, and was just answering a question that X had asked me.

I felt like a high school kid, but I can't seem to get it out of y mind.

As she went onto to tell further colleagues that we disagreed over a donkey!!! Which wasn't the case at all, thankfully another collegue was their.

Really thinking about putting my notice in, as I don't want to be know as the adult school kid religious freak.

I just didn't want to speak about it, so why the deck did she not get the message.

altinkum Thu 22-Nov-12 20:53:11

Stoopid iPhone auto correct!!

Doesn't help I have dyslexia mind.

altinkum Thu 22-Nov-12 20:55:38

Wasn't talking about her directly.

Argh!!

Teabagtights Thu 22-Nov-12 20:55:55

You could have walked away so she couldn't try to engage you. Why stay in the same place as her?

Don't leave your job you are entitled to believe what you wish.

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Thu 22-Nov-12 20:55:57

Don't put your notice in cos of one idiot.

She's an arse, who cares about whether there were donkeys round - she just wanted an argument and you didn't give her one.

altinkum Thu 22-Nov-12 20:57:07

I couldn't walk away as I was in my area, doing my job, which at the time was busy.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Thu 22-Nov-12 20:57:38

I don't think yabu, but I don't think she was that bad either. People talk shite all the time, you don't have to give it any credit. You could have just smiled and nodded and let it wash over you. I don't think you can tell someone what they can and can't talk about, if you didn't want to hear it you should have got up and left.

monsterchild Thu 22-Nov-12 20:58:48

IT sounds like she was being unreasonable not stopping when you asked the first time. It's not on to pester people about their beliefs in the workplace. Makes it harassment in my mind. I wouldn't quit over this though, she's not worth it. But if she does start in on it again I would mention it to HR or management if possible. religious harassment isn't ok.

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Thu 22-Nov-12 20:59:40

So she was standing at your desk saying all this? YANBU. It's extremely irritating when people talk to you as though you're an idiot and think they can get you to change your mind over carefully considered and deeply-held beliefs by a 10 minute attack. Rude.

altinkum Thu 22-Nov-12 21:01:55

Thanks *stick*I'm glad for the link, even for my own clarity, won't be challenging her on it tho. She's entitled to her opinion as is anyone.

altinkum Thu 22-Nov-12 21:03:46

Not desk busy kitchen sink, as staff member who normally does it had to go home and attend to her sick child the other member was a cleaner/cleaning down tables.

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Thu 22-Nov-12 21:14:48

Same thing. She was rude and if she does it again please tell someone who can do something about it. Don't quit your job!

apostropheuse Thu 22-Nov-12 21:29:22

yanbu

She's entitled to her opinion, but you don't need to listen to her if you're uncomfortable. Don't even think about giving up your job for that reason, it's totally disporportionate to what happened.

It's just something that happens on a regular basis if you're a person of faith. You have to rise above it.

...as an aside, though, there's nothing incompatible with being Catholic and believing in evolution.

MrsWolowitz Thu 22-Nov-12 21:32:12

YANBU.

She sounds like a knob.

A disrespectful and rude, know-it-all knob at that.

Ignore.

altinkum Thu 22-Nov-12 21:37:53

I believe in eveloution, we all evolve... I even think some of the bible is outdated but try and follow it to the modern world that I live in.

I felt I was being backed into a corner and being forced to listen.

Jackstini Thu 22-Nov-12 21:40:58

She was rude for not taking notice that you didn't want to talk about it, but donkeys have been around as working animals for over 5000 years so she is wrong there anyway!

apostropheuse Thu 22-Nov-12 21:43:45

Yes I know what you mean altinkum. I just ignore that type of nonsense to be honest. I used to get upset if people did that to me, but it doesn't do anyone any good.

I'm Catholic too, believe me I know how it feels to be ridiculed.

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Thu 22-Nov-12 21:47:21

Just as an aside...

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's... ass.

^ That is extremely old and I don't think it refers to liposuction.

apostropheuse Thu 22-Nov-12 21:50:09

grin

maybenow Thu 22-Nov-12 21:50:35

Your colleague sounds awful, just ignore her.

But if you're interested - the Pope has apparently said something recently about the animals in the nativity, maybe that's what she was talking about: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2236195/New-Jesus-book-reveals-donkeys-crib-lowing-oxen-definitely-carols-Christmas.html

And the catholic church does believe in evolution. They accept darwin's theory and believe that god created the universe and all life in it but that evolution is the process by which life evolved. they don't believe that evolution and catholicism is incompatible.

Kalisi Thu 22-Nov-12 21:53:22

I'm an atheist and I think she was being an idiot! Don't hand your notice in OP, some people are just pushy assholes. Ignore her and don't engage.

mummyonvalium Thu 22-Nov-12 21:54:43

YANBU - no matter what a person thinks it is not appropriate to try and make an argument. Glad you stood your ground.

apostropheuse Thu 22-Nov-12 21:56:01

Yes well I think it's been known for quite some time that there's a bit of artistic licence with the nativity story. He's not really saying anything new there. Scripture scholars have said that for many years.

axure Thu 22-Nov-12 22:03:03

Is there an Equality & Diversity policy at your place if work? You shouldn't have to put up with harassment based on your faith/religion. Go and speak to a supervisor or HR person. Don't even think about quitting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now