To be incensed by Knorr Stock Pots?

(193 Posts)
NairyHipples Thu 22-Nov-12 18:26:53

The amount of packaging (plastic, foil and paper) is shocking. It costs very little to boil some bones up with some old carrots and onions to make your own stock, so why do people buy them?
www.knorr.co.uk/Products/Knorr-Stock-Pots.aspx

FastidiaBlueberry Fri 23-Nov-12 20:34:43

No YANBU

Your incensedness has provided an excellent stock discussion.

grin

BarbarianMum Fri 23-Nov-12 20:39:02

Well yes, celery and I fell out a few years ago now. About the time it tried to kill ds1 I think, although tbh it had been on thin ice for a number of years due to stringyness and general lack of taste.

Nevertheless I don't generally shout at people about it, however much they attack my choice of stock.

ethelb Fri 23-Nov-12 20:48:30

I make my own stock and roasting bones and simmering for 8 hours is definitely more expensive.

hallgreenmiss Fri 31-May-13 21:20:04

Try stock granules. They're less salty and you control the amount you use.

fuzzpig Fri 31-May-13 21:44:50

Tried some when cooking at my mum's, pleased they are gluten free as a lot of granules aren't. Will probably get them in future. <shrug>

MalcolmTuckersMum Fri 31-May-13 21:49:42

You'll all have to trust me on this one - but This and others in the range (unavailable in UK except from this website) (and how happy was I to find this?!) are quite simply THE best stock products. Believe me. Please.

tethersend Fri 31-May-13 21:50:23

Zombie thread.

<boils zombie>

MalcolmTuckersMum Fri 31-May-13 21:52:32

Shitting bollocks! I don't normally fall for zombies. [thick]

sweetestcup Fri 31-May-13 22:00:02

hallgreenmiss what in the name of god were you searching for when you managed to unearth a 6 month thread about...stockcubes of all things!

Charlesroi Fri 31-May-13 22:05:10

funnily enough NairyHipples the ads for knorr stock pots are a major piss take in our house - the way the chef kind of places it reverently and cheffily into the pot right? when it's just a glorified oxo cube or something?

Couldn't agree more. And they bloody simper into the camera while placing said glorified oxo cube on a pot of stew. Bastards.

quoteunquote Fri 31-May-13 22:28:11

Our butchers give us as many venison and beef bones as we want for a donation in the charity box,

this is more or less the way we do it

I just bung it in the bottom of the oven when it on for other cooking, then massive pan onion, celery carrots, anything that needs using up herbs, pepper, freeze it, use as needed, yum, really easy.

great for french onion soup.

I don't do bones (vegetarian) and all the vegetable trimmings except potatoes and onions/leeks go into the guinea-pigs.

And NO I haven't considered boiling the guinea-pigs up for stock too fatty

xylem8 Sat 01-Jun-13 10:21:56

Knorr stock points are way less salty than oxo cubes.Just check the nutritional information on the back!

Triumphoveradversity Sat 01-Jun-13 11:17:47

My butcher gives away bones, love him.
I think guinea pigs tend to be barbecued, I have had the misfortune of seeing a photo of a holiday in South America that a temp of ours went on and yes he ate one.

schnarf Sun 19-Jan-14 21:43:19

Knorr stock post are sh1t, in fact, all are crap. Look at the ingredients, 1-3% actual stock, it's just salt and flavourings. Gravy powder has more stock, total rip off. You think because it's a pocket of gel it's concentrated stock, total BS. It's just gelatin.Chefs adding their name to this crap should be ashamed.

DrNick Sun 19-Jan-14 21:45:35

after SIX MONTHS you come on a thread to say that?

i love em

WitchWay Sun 19-Jan-14 21:54:12

I hate the advert with the slimy chef with the greasy-looking hair - urgh - puts me off buying them. I do use Knorr stock cubes though.

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 19-Jan-14 22:03:35

Zombie thread.
About stock.
Why?

Not just a zombie thread but a double zombie thread
Someone must have issues with stock

WitchWay Sun 19-Jan-14 22:10:32

Oh yes, a zombie - I hadn't realised

DrNick Sun 19-Jan-14 22:11:46

but why are oyu LOOKING for a thread about anger and stock?

Caitlin17 Sun 19-Jan-14 22:13:06

I've never made a soup with a home made stock which was noticeably better than one made with any of the shop bought options. It's an utter waste of time and it stinks.

Scarletohello Mon 20-Jan-14 01:38:40

Loving this thread! Never knew there was so much entertainment to be for out of a stock cube

It's so contentious it'll be in the Daily Fail next...

Favourite line, I don't keep old bones lying about.

Fwiw I made a lovely mushroom risotto with my home made chicken stock yesterday. 'twas lovely

< do have those other naughty stock pots tho. Can't face boiling a cow >

KareKare Mon 20-Jan-14 01:45:53

Lol at 'why are you looking for a thread about anger and stock'!

BillyNotQuiteNoMates Mon 20-Jan-14 01:51:28

Now I like the stock pots but why can't you get LAMB ones? I can't get any convenient lamb stock, and I can't make my own stock from the bones because I want the gravy to go with the lamb I've just cooked, and I don't have room in my freezer to store a couple of litres of stock for a few months, as we don't (can't afford to ) eat lamb very often.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now