An Unreasonable Christmas Buffet

(133 Posts)
BupcakesAndCunting Thu 22-Nov-12 12:51:09

This year I said I am not doing a turkey because I am sick of being disappointed by turkey and also am sick of all the pans/every utensil in the kitchen forming a 1/10 scale replica of K2 on the work surface every year.

DH and I said we were going to go to the local curryhouse for a curry instead. We invited MIL, my mother and my brother (who I do not like). Last week the curryhouse said they had 25 seats left, and to confirm when we knew what time for definite we would come in. When I rang back yesterday, they were full. No matter.

DH has suggested a buffet at lunchtime. I told my mum on the phone and I could hear her doing this face hmm AIBU about a christmas buffet?

Pandemoniaa Thu 22-Nov-12 13:50:27

People do seem to invest an unnecessary amount of emotional capital in Christmas Dinner. I can't believe anyone would refuse an invitation to a buffet. But then if they felt that precious about it, they'd almost certainly be happier left at home to work themselves into a roast turkey-shaped frenzy.

ginslinger Thu 22-Nov-12 13:53:19

I sit at a table for a buffet. I didn't know it was wrong. <adds note to etiquette book>

QueenofNightmares Thu 22-Nov-12 13:53:47

My MIL does a buffet every year courtesy of Iceland envy Manky prawn ring included plus any other nasty crap she can buy it then sits there for 3/4 days going stale and growing conciousness. Your buffet however sounds lovely.

BupcakesAndCunting Thu 22-Nov-12 13:54:09

Nah.

It's pseudo middle class to empty chips onto a plate. Chipper chips are meant to be eaten from the paper. "Ay'm not eating chips from the paper, ay'm not a peasant" is all very Anthea Belvedon.

Smellslikecatspee Thu 22-Nov-12 14:00:00

Better reheated curry than prawn ring anyday

Besides everyone knows curry tastes better the next day

Maryz Thu 22-Nov-12 14:00:46

The whole point of fish and chips is to avoid the washing up, isn't it?

I have my mum well-trained. I do a traditional Christmas dinner (14 this year), but she brings the stuffed prepared turkey, all trussed up in its tin foil and roasting dish (as well as the pud) the night before. I just stick it in the oven. The kids will do the veg, dh and guests will do the washing up, and I will rush around looking busy but in fact drinking wine not doing much.

DontmindifIdo Thu 22-Nov-12 14:01:16

could you not just do a sunday roast? It doesn't need to be turkey (which you have to spend a lot of money to get it to be good), buffets while sounding less hassle, it can be a lot of little things that need to be sorted, it might end up being less hassle to just do roast lamb with bits.

But if not, just do the buffet idea, or suggest your mum hosts instead, and you'll eat whatever she makes.

BupcakesAndCunting Thu 22-Nov-12 14:01:53

I'M NOT HAVING A FRIGGING PRAWN RING!

I'd much rather have a buffet. As long as there were yorkshire puddings on said buffet.

zukiecat Thu 22-Nov-12 14:04:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Strawhatpirate Thu 22-Nov-12 14:05:20

Can I suggest a trip to the chinese supermaket?( Wing Yip if you have one near you) coz you can get big boxes of really nice dim sum and starter things that you just bang in the oven. They are really reasonably priced as well.

Fluffy1234 Thu 22-Nov-12 14:12:42

I've ordered a M&S Christmas dinner package for Christmas day for £100 (had it last year, really simple and yummy) and an M&S buffet selection for boxing Day, also £100. I will pick them up Christmas eve. Nice and easy for me, good quality and no waste.

DigWeedSow Thu 22-Nov-12 14:45:29

I'm doing a buffet for Christmas dinner too. What with 3 kids, 3 vegetarians, a couple of picky eaters and no room for us all to sit around a table (12 plus a high chair) it seems like the easiest option.

Planning on roasting a turkey crown, a ham, pigs in blankets, warm potato salad , lots of veggie stuff etc (and a huge cheese board). Mil is taking care of desserts, dsis getting the wine, DM the turkey and there won't be a prawn ring in sight grin

GreenyEyes Thu 22-Nov-12 15:09:46

YABU

Said With Meaning.

MaxPepsi Thu 22-Nov-12 15:11:46

If I was doing Xmas Dinner I'd be doing a hot and cold buffet. I love the idea of just dipping in when you're peckish and just generally lazing about drinking wine, watching the kids play and good naturedly arguing with my dad brothers and mum.

However I'm off to mum's and she insists on full mashings (no foul bloody turkey tho) despite me suggesting one.

Itsaboatjack Thu 22-Nov-12 15:29:38

One of our best Christmases ever was a couple of drinks at the local the onto the curry house after, then home for cheese and port and collapse on sofa.

I'd be happy if someone served up a buffet, as long as there's enough to feel suitable stuffed after.

SpookTheCat Thu 22-Nov-12 15:51:53

Ha this is what i am doing this year and if anyone doesn't like it they dont have to bloody well eat it.
I feel like i miss so much on christmas day and am running around like a headless turkey whilst everyone else gets fed and watered, then they chill out on the sofa for the afternoon DH usually goes back to bed at some stage because he's oh so worn out!! lazy fucker,doesnt lift a finger

The number of guests varies each year and We usually have family popping it at random times. So the buffet will accomodate everyone!!!

We will have our proper christmas dinner, turkey and all the trimmings during the week between Chrismas and new year, when its just the 5 of us.

ENormaSnob Thu 22-Nov-12 16:04:31

We did Christmas day buffet last year and it was fabulous.

I cannot comfortably seat 22 so this is the only option.

BupcakesAndCunting Thu 22-Nov-12 16:07:17

I don't know why I've never thought of it before tbh! It solves everything.

Blinis and champers or wizened auld turkey? Hmmmm...

thestringcheesemassacre Thu 22-Nov-12 16:09:41

Lol at the prawn ring.
M&S food is your friend.
Ham delicious.

I'm Australian and my whole life Christmas meals have been buffet style. Seafood, salads etc etc. I love the ease of it.

Dillydollydaydream Thu 22-Nov-12 16:09:58

Buffet sounds lovely. I'm not a fan of one huge dinner, of rather graze my way through the day.

ExitPursuedByMarieAntoinette Thu 22-Nov-12 16:14:56

YABVVVU

I luff Turkey.

Cold Turkey, Turkey and Sweet Leek Pie, Turkey Drogheda ... yum, yum, yum.

Buffets are for Boxiing Day.

Bit depressed as my Dad is ordering the Turkey from some posh butcher in Scotland this year and it is only a 5 kg bird - so there won't be tonnes of left overs.

(I might buy another one just to be on the safe side)

ExitPursuedByMarieAntoinette Thu 22-Nov-12 16:15:27

Oh and thank goodness you were joking about the prawn ring.

I felt a bit queasy.

Hassled Thu 22-Nov-12 16:15:43

You're all insane, apart from Fellatio who is, as usual, right.

You've all forgotten the Christmas Act 1966, which makes the roasting and consumption of turkey on the 25th December mandatory. It's a little known law but it's a bloody good one. Eat the turkey and be grateful, dammit.

Also - everytime someone ponces about with curries and buffets, one of Santa's elves dies.

BupcakesAndCunting Thu 22-Nov-12 16:16:46

LOL at being depressed because a tiny bird has been ordered grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now