To have left it this late to start my Christmas shopping?

(121 Posts)
ValerieDavis Thu 22-Nov-12 11:19:23

So everybody I have spoken to is fully organised for Christmas. Presents bought, wrapped and parts of the dinner cooked then frozen for the big day.

I haven't started anything yet! Not even my Christmas cards.

Please tell me I'm not the only unprepared one?

mumeeee Fri 23-Nov-12 22:42:05

YANBU. I've just had a little look today at things to get for my hreat nephew and niece,but haven't actually bought anything yet. We are in the middle of a hving an Kitchen extension so haven't thought about food yet. Well actually I have as we will probably go out for Christmas Dinner and I've just made an enquiry to Harvesters.

Wendywishes Fri 23-Nov-12 22:38:00

I'm very organised-have bought 3 tins of biscuitsgrin.Not a single present yetshock.Its only NOVEMBER-why is everyone panickingconfused?

bedmonster Fri 23-Nov-12 21:33:27

Fair enough arisbottle, and on my last shopping trip I managed to drink 7 cocktails and come home with 2 books - dp was a bit miffed!

Are the 1 or 2 things in addition to the stocking? Well, they must be! Stupid question really, think the vodka is kicking in...

Monty27 Fri 23-Nov-12 21:10:08

I'm well on top of it. I have a box of After Eights half price from the co-op

Arisbottle Fri 23-Nov-12 20:45:18

I have been cooking for Christmas for some time, cakes made, mincemeat to make next weekend , lots of preserves, pickles and jams made.

Arisbottle Fri 23-Nov-12 20:43:50

Sorry bedmonster, I missed the rest if your message . I may buy for our parents . DH and I don't buy for one another though .

flow4 Fri 23-Nov-12 20:43:10

YANBU. I point-blank refuse to do any Christmas preparation/shopping until December. It's November ffs. No-one suggests starting MY birthday celebrations a month early! grin

ravenAK Fri 23-Nov-12 20:40:57

I also have a November birthday, as does dh, so it's a house rule that Xmas is unmentionable until 'after mum's birthday'.

Not that I make a big hoo-ha over my birthday, it's just a useful excuse not to get SUCKED IN to Xmas any earlier than December!

Tree up first weekend of December, presents bought mostly online as soon as one of gets paid in December, supplemented by anything dh/I happen to see whilst out doing normal shopping, wine from wine club & Xmas dinner's just a roast, complicated slightly because it's the only day of the year I cook meat (if we have non-veggie family).

I can totally see the point of budgetting for it from after the summer hols on, just not why anyone would be writing lists & going shopping a month ahead of time - & as for cooking - that's really quite odd...

Arisbottle Fri 23-Nov-12 20:37:27

They have stocking, we have five children to buy for. They get one or two things each .

We tend to have a shopping day to get the presents done. We probably spend more time drinking mulled wine and eating than actually shopping

gwenniebee Fri 23-Nov-12 20:26:31

Is this late?? Oh shit!!

I've bought one thing, and that's because it needs sent this week coming. I wouldn't usually have done that.

wonderingsoul Fri 23-Nov-12 20:23:35

i start in september becasue i am on a very tight budgit. i also have a birthday in nov and the 28th december so like to be organzied.

i find it insulting that thouse who said start early have no life and cant possiably enjoy december with no to do!

i still have presents to buy. it just means i dont have an alot to spend out at one time. also frees up my time to do nicer things like make decorations with my children. watch christmassy movies and enjoy time with people with out worrying about how im going to pay for so n so and so n so and so n so.

bedmonster Fri 23-Nov-12 20:00:14

Arisbottle, forgive me I'm curious nosey, do you only buy your dc one gift? Am I wrong to presume they are too old for stockings? And do you buy for no one else?
Genuinely am curious by the way, but then why would buying 1 gift take a couple of hours? I find your post very intriguing!!!

Arisbottle Fri 23-Nov-12 18:33:58

Have not read the whole thread as I am on a MNing and dashing but why one earth are you late. It is November, Christmas is at the end of December. I will pop out probably on the 23rd and buy the children a gift, it will take a few hours. I may even go wild and spend an hour on the Internet.

FawkesoidOrganisoid Fri 23-Nov-12 18:28:50

I start buying presents anytime from the end of September if I see a good deal on something.

I don't drive so would be impossible to do it all in a day as wouldn't be able to carry it home! I do quite a bit online too and get it delivered to my mum's so I don't have to hide it.

Food etc doesn't get done early. Nor does wrapping. Cards get done at some point in December, i usually miss the post.

Badvocsanta Fri 23-Nov-12 18:06:21

Glitter...yes I feel the same. I would hate having to run around in December. Have a major project on at church and the usual pre school and school activities and I would really like to go to an NT property to see the Xmas decs at some point.
Have a months worth of Sunday school to prep and a crib service to plan (weeps)
Done loads of cleaning today so although I am knackered I only have the bathroom and WC tiles to wash down now and the kitchen cupboards to tidy and wipe.
Dh is doing the windows outside - hopefully tomorrow!
Washed blankets and cushion covers and cleaned the dining chair seat pads.
At least now if I do nothing else, a quick clean through each week will keep the house looking ok between now and Xmas.
Need to sort the conservatory out but sadly the roof is leaking again sad so we have to wait to get that sorted....sigh.

This year I'm more disorganised than usual, cards have been ordered but are not here yet (National Autistic Society ones). I'd normally have written them by now, and be finished with gift buying. Instead I still have 3 presents to get.

Still need to wrap gifts and put up the deccies (1st Dec here).

Meat is ordered from the butcher for collection on Christmas Eve.

I have to do it this way for budgeting reasons, find the best price online to get the most I can from my money. Plus in December it gets really busy with school productions and I like to be able to kick back and enjoy rather than worry about whether or not everything is sorted.

DS2 and DD's school christmas fete is tomorrow!!

Plus I might just be sneaking the odd bottle of drinkies into my online grocery shop every week to accrue enough to splurge on the big day.

Woozley Fri 23-Nov-12 14:27:41

I only have to buy about ten presents. I have to get a few before Dec 5th when my parents arrive to take up to family up North, and I have to get on & order my daughters' micro scooters, but other than that, no rush really!

I did get a few bits in October but haven't looked at what I've bought for ages and really should set about making a list.

Badvocsanta Fri 23-Nov-12 14:16:51

I want an Xmas fridge!
(Sulks)

I've bought almost everything I need present wise, but I started weeks ago as I am trying to budget carefully and if I try and save the money up it just gets eaten up by other stuff. I just need to get stocking fillers for the boys, and a couple of little bits for them. All the adults except Exp and exH are done - all amazon and play.com

I don't have a Christmas tree or any decorations so will need to buy them. The tree doesn't go up until the 15th though.

I don't send Christmas cards, and rarely get any either. The boys might want some for school though.

I don't do Christmas food shopping either, other than some chocolates and treats as I don't do Christmas dinner. The boys are at their dads for Christmas and my toddler won't eat it so there is no point cooking a turkey just for me.

wordfactory Fri 23-Nov-12 12:13:46

I have bought nothing yet. Not a sausage.

However I have been planning. There are lists and ideas etc. And I have a date in the diary when I will action all these things and will be able to do them quickly because I'm set.

bedmonster Fri 23-Nov-12 12:11:33

I've figured out why I can't be arsed to start - it's because I find it stressful trying to find places to hide stuff, whereas at least when the decs are up and the tree is up (admittedly not until the week before Xmas here grin) I can just wrap stuff and put it straight under the tree, rather than have to wrap it, hide it, remember where you've hidden everything, get it all back out again and put it under the tree. It's a lot of faffing.

It all makes sense now to me anyway

Foxy800 Fri 23-Nov-12 11:30:26

I have just been to order my dd's main present this mornign but have barely done anything else yet. We will all be fine by christmas I am sure.

Maryz Fri 23-Nov-12 11:24:18

On thinking about it, a fridge in my bedroom might be a good idea. I can keep my wine and chocolate in it. And some food.

atm every time I go to my kitchen fridge some fecking teenager has emptied it.

Jins Fri 23-Nov-12 11:13:54

I have a Christmas fridge!!

It's in the caravan

ExitPursuedByMarieAntoinette Fri 23-Nov-12 11:12:10

I would like a Christmas Fridge envy. It could be filled with wine and champagne and my special Rose and Violet creams.

I have to confess, as a result of this thread I have ordered a couple of things for DD from Amazon and spoken to the designer about the business Christmas cards. I feel quite exhausted.

Everlong I presume we are referring to the Cheadle JL?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now