To have left it this late to start my Christmas shopping?

(121 Posts)
ValerieDavis Thu 22-Nov-12 11:19:23

So everybody I have spoken to is fully organised for Christmas. Presents bought, wrapped and parts of the dinner cooked then frozen for the big day.

I haven't started anything yet! Not even my Christmas cards.

Please tell me I'm not the only unprepared one?

cheesesarnie Thu 22-Nov-12 12:15:37

this isn't late!
it's really early <head in sand>

honeytea Thu 22-Nov-12 12:15:46

I have bought about 3 presents. I still have around 15 to buy. We need to buy food for a British Christmas dinner in Sweden (where the hell am I going to get a turky and christmas pudding they are into their cold fish and more cold fish for Christmas dinner here) My family are ariving on the 23rd and I still have not booked a hotel for my parents.

And we are due to have a baby on the 8th of December. It might be beans on toast and an IKEA voucher as a present this year.

Ullena Thu 22-Nov-12 12:18:11

Another one who hasn't started yet! We celebrate Yule in our house though - everything starts on the 21st December, when we put up the decorations, tree, etc. Ten days of epic dinners and get togethers grin

Pandemoniaa Thu 22-Nov-12 12:19:12

Late?

I won't be going anywhere near Christmas until some time next month. Not least because I refuse to be drawn into the competitive getting ready for it nonsense. It's one day in the year, and that day doesn't occur until the 25th December.

Wallace Thu 22-Nov-12 12:31:51

YANBU Haven't started either. 4 dc

hillbilly Thu 22-Nov-12 12:36:28

I've done nothing yet. Except I made my Christmas cake last week.

I haven't done any (other than child relatives) yet and I'm due to be induced w/c 17th December. I've told everyone if it doesn't get done it's tough!

We've pre-ordered a present for the DC a month or so ago but that's it. I get paid (and get a bonus) tomorrow and I'll start then. Normally, we don't do anything until DH gets paid mid-December, so this is very early for us! smile

Badvocsanta Thu 22-Nov-12 12:43:03

32 days.....

nipersvest Thu 22-Nov-12 12:44:12

we don't normally do any of ours till mid december, only started early this year because of the tesco clubcard exchange.

PurpleFrog Thu 22-Nov-12 12:49:30

I've not started ... well, actually. I bought some Christmas stamps last week when I was in the Post Office. Does that count? grin

LulaPalooza Thu 22-Nov-12 12:49:35

I will do all of my Xmas shopping online this weekend (pay day on Friday).

Tree will go up on 21 December.

We're going to my Mum's for Xmas so will just need to buy some booze and bits n bobs to take with us, will probably do that on 22 December. We're driving up on Xmas eve.

I have been totally chillaxed about Christmas since I discovered online shopping.

mamalovebird Thu 22-Nov-12 12:53:05

Jesus, do these people have anything else to do?
I have bought a few presents but haven't even thought about getting into gear for everything else. It's not even December.

you have plenty of time.

MummyPig24 Thu 22-Nov-12 12:54:00

Bloody hell I haven't started yet. I bought a sticker book each for the kids back in the summer but that's it. Tax credits are taking their sweet time and have been without a payment for 7 weeks so until they sort their shit out there is no money to buy Christmas pressies! YANBU, there's loadsa time, that's what I'm telling myself anyway!

It's still November. What's the hurry?

As for those of you buying stuff on behalf of your DH, just don't. His relatives are not your problem, and if they get nothing one year, well so what. That's his problem (disclaimer: I have only just grasped this concept myself, after 12 years! He appreciates what I do for him more now that I have stopped enabling him to behave like a child).

qo Thu 22-Nov-12 13:09:44

I have the grand sum of four presents and two tins of chocolates so far. I have 3 children, 14 nieces and nephews, and my parents to buy for.

I have one pay packet left before xmas, end of november - I literally cant afford to buy anything until then.

SusanneLinder Thu 22-Nov-12 13:18:39

I havent bought a thing and have no intentions of until week or two before Christmas. My kids are mostly grown up so its mostly money for them anyway grin.

We do the same every year, we leave work early and go to our local shopping centre which is open till midnight, just before Xmas, and blitz it in one day. I love it cos most people bugger off at 8pm, leaving me in peace.We get dinner there too.

Thats when I start feeling Christmassy grin

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 22-Nov-12 13:22:27

I never start Christmas shopping before the the 15th. I find it focuses my mind more and I don't faff about!

Everlong Thu 22-Nov-12 13:25:48

This is late shock

I just normally do mine in one day. Pull up at JL throw lots of different things in the basket, go home and decide who's having what wink

Not my dc of course just others.

Maryz Thu 22-Nov-12 15:00:14

It's only fucking November, as I might just have pointed out once or twice today.

[sigh]

KellyEllyChristmasBelly Thu 22-Nov-12 15:01:57

It's not late is it? confused I always do mine in December.

ExitPursuedByMarieAntoinette Thu 22-Nov-12 15:02:13

Oooh Everlong - we might be in JL at the same time. That is my strategy as well. That plus Amazon.

<idle>

SantaisBarredfromhavingStella Thu 22-Nov-12 15:03:10

YANBU, have a couple of bits for the DC & that's it-loads of time yet.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Thu 22-Nov-12 15:04:10

Don't be silly - this is the normal time to start thinking about it. People might start earlier because they want to budget over a few months but to be honest anyone who's finished now is missing out on the fun December preparations.

MarshaBrady Thu 22-Nov-12 15:08:45

I haven't started yet.

We are going somewhere sunny, reduces prep, just got to get on that plane (with the presents of course).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now