To ask why any sane person would take their dc's to do the food shop?

(195 Posts)

The kids hate it, it's more difficult to do it with them (for many reasons varying with age). Why not do it online (unless they don't deliver to your area- does this happen?) it's quicker to do it online once you've set it up. It's cheaper- as you don't tend to browse and buy crap so easily. And there is no crying/moaning/complaining children to drag along. You don't even have to load stuff excess times. Ie from shelf to cashier belt to bags to car to driveway to kitchen. No brainer really?

mrskeithrichards Thu 22-Nov-12 14:37:31

I'm still arf'ing at being classed entitled!

Best not admit to taking baby to cinema

BiddyPop Thu 22-Nov-12 16:15:41

Oh, and shock horror, DH often comes too!! Cos we both work FT so we'd often end up doing the shopping while we are out at the weekend doing something else anyway. It's called real life - you juggle!!

Heaven knows what people used to say about my mother bringing all 6 of us with her while Dad did other shopping at the weekend - they used to drive to the city 25 miles away to get a decent choice (they'd lived abroad so liked things like rice and pasta, curries and pizza, and a wide variety of veg and fruit, when all the local shops offered was potatoes, meat, root-type veg, apples, oranges, eggs and tins of beans). She'd just send us all in different directions to get different bits, 2 littlest in the trolley, and get on with it without blocking others.

Where have people's sense of tolerance gone?! The mind boggles at entitlement for daily essentials!!

Oblomov Thu 22-Nov-12 16:23:20

I think it is really really sad thta OP sees it like this.
My sil never takes her kids food shopping.
How can that be healthy/good for them/ etc etc?

All for online shopping. But 'never' taking the kids for a main food shop? How else are they supposed to learn where things are in a supermarket, etc etc? Un-natural and very odd.

Oblomov Thu 22-Nov-12 16:37:54

And no, my children are NOT well behaved when I take them to the supermarket. But I am working on that !!

and I totally agree, it is an important aspect of teaching this generation of children , many of whom are so incredibly spoilt, becasue they have never had it do good, living in a world when they largely do get what they want, when they want it. Knowing no real hardship as such, not experiencing failure that much, living it a disposable society where we just buy a new mobile, just for the sake of it. And as a generation that are much more spolit and self-centered than possibly any other generation.
So yes, things like food shopping,and realising they are not centre of the universe, are actually balancing, i believe.
Dh teels the ds's that sometimes he doesn't want to go to work, or do the .... shopping, ironing, washing clothes, washing up etc etc, or other tasks that we have to do, even when we don't want to.

How can you argue that this is not a good thing?

Treats Thu 22-Nov-12 16:52:14

I go at the weekend with DH and DD - and we all quite enjoy it. We can spend time together and it gets us out of the house. If it the weather's poor or there's not much else going out, it amuses DD for an hour or two - who enjoys it and generally behaves well.

DH and I have always gone together - even before DD. We like chatting about which wine to buy, what to have for pudding, whether we want beef or lamb for Sunday lunch. We eat together, take it in turns to cook - shopping together is a natural extension of that. It might not be how everyone wants to spend their time, but we enjoy it, so why does anyone else care????

Young children have to learn how to behave in public and get used to having strangers around. Supermarkets are a fantastic environment to do this - they're safe, staffed, and it's easy enough for other adults to get away from them if they're being annoying (unlike on a bus).

I am genuinely shock that anyone would judge us for going together and taking our child!!! Baffling......

PolkadotCircus Thu 22-Nov-12 16:55:03

Totally agree with the last post.

I had 3 under 15 months and always had to take them.Dp at work and we cut petrol costs with errands after the food shop.I also like to handle & choose my fruit,veg and meat.I always get the best sell by date too.

Now they're 9,9 and 8 I send them off to get things with the strict instructions that they get the cheapest items-fab for future budgeting and maths.

My 3 spend far too long in front of screens as it is,surfing the web picking things to buy isn't something I want to encourage.Kids really don't understand how credit cards work.

Yes they've sighed,tutted etc,played up but that is when they get a rocket up their arses in the form of me reminding them that if they want to eat we need to buy the food,doing chores are important and they're not royalty.

PolkadotCircus Thu 22-Nov-12 16:55:48

Ob's post.

whistlestopcafe Thu 22-Nov-12 16:59:31

I prefer doing it online but struggle to find the time to place an order, it has to be when the children are not around because they create havoc if I use the computer in their presence. Sometimes I manage to find the time to place an order but find that the only slots available are inconvenient. I rarely take the children on a big shop, I tend to do it a few times a week so it doesn't really take very long.

TiggyD Thu 22-Nov-12 16:59:35

People take their children shopping so they can shout things like "Augustus! Would you like ethically grown organic fair trade guava tonight?!"

MissCellania Thu 22-Nov-12 17:34:52

I think my primary motivation has now changed to purely pissing off the Po-faced serene supermarketeers like OP and friends.

Treats Thu 22-Nov-12 17:43:49

MissCellania - but why??? Why do they deserve to be pissed off? What have they done?

I'm amazed that this is even.......a thing.

MissCellania Thu 22-Nov-12 17:49:21

They didn't until they started calling us entitled just for daring to walk in with a minor! Now they do.

goldenlula Thu 22-Nov-12 17:54:52

treats that is the point, it isn't a 'thing' but some on here seem to think it is. As I said before I do my shopping how I choose, everyone else can do as they please. I do not care if someone online shops, shops with children or without. Who really cares?

lljkk Thu 22-Nov-12 18:11:13

Has anyone mentioned the millions of households in UK who are unbanked? They don't have access to anything resembling a debit or credit card?

I loathe online shopping.

They give you tonnes of plastic bags (I would use canvas rucksacks)

Instead of bags, you can have boxes that you have to store, or you can hand back the bags to recycle (which means storing in meantime AND it's inferior to both reuse & the reduce option in reduce-reuse-recycle)

The substitutes problem is a nightmare; trying to figure out what they will have in stock that I would find an acceptable substitute; invariably I don't like the substitute & I have to go shop after all; online shopping doesn't save me any trips.

I have to wait in

It takes just as long as in person shopping if I look for bargains

I cycle to the shops which keeps me fit & costs less than delivery charge

MarshaBrady Thu 22-Nov-12 18:13:10

I do Ocado.

But I always need to get extra things, and go in to get one or two things and end up spending loads.

Ds2 does like going, easily entertained it would seem.

Lavenderhoney Thu 22-Nov-12 18:22:16

I like it, dcs like it. We behave nicely and enjoy our time there. It doesn't have to be miserable. We don't have online shopping available so I have to go, and I don't have anyone to look after dc. Plus I am not wasting any dc free time in the supermarket.

And anyway, what if the day i decide to go online johnny depp should be passing and need to pop in? And i normally went about ths time? I'd be gutted i missed himsmile Even if I had dc in tow and scared him off with my trolley full of non glamorous itemssmile

I shop at Aldi and they don't deliver.

I'm a single parent with a toddler and 30 weeks pregnant. I don't drive so take my older boys (10&8) with me to the supermarket to help carry the bags home.

KellyEllyChristmasBelly Thu 22-Nov-12 19:22:57

unless they are those special angelic kids who enjoy doing the supermarket shop I have one of these smile She loves the food shop and gets really excited!

FamiliesShareGerms Thu 22-Nov-12 19:34:04

I had no idea this was an issue! Sometimes all four of us go, sometimes one, two or three of us... Depends on so many things (time, ability to get a delivery sorted, what else we're up to...) Didn't realise we were being judged for it

And hadn't really thought about it, but completely agree with the poster who said that teaching children how to shop (budgeting, meal planning, adapting plans, choosing the best fresh produce) is really important. Otherwise as well as thinking milk comes from a bottle not a cow (never mind where meat is from) children will think food comes ready prepared and for free

mum2threesons Thu 22-Nov-12 21:48:53

I often take all my children shopping, never been a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now