To cancel my donation to the local C of E church

(54 Posts)
skaen Wed 21-Nov-12 17:18:30

I make a regular donation to the local C of E church and also go to Messy Church. The church is very nice, the community is friendly and the (female) vicar is great. They use the money on a mixture of contributions to running the diocese, support for food banks and people in need and support for maintaining the fabric if the church.

I am absolutely furious about the decision not to allow women to become Bishops. I think it is absolutely appalling and don't want to support that sort of misogynistic organisation.

Would I be unreasonable to cancel my donation to the church to show my disappointment? If I did, I would give that money to another charity- probably the food bank.

GrendelsMum Thu 22-Nov-12 19:49:48

Here, look at this article from the Guardian

www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/21/female-bishops-church-what-next

In particular:

""Was the laity representative?

No. Judging by responses given earlier this year to the measure by the church's 44 dioceses, campaigners would have had every reason to be optimistic about grassroots support. In all, 42 dioceses gave the legislation the thumbs-up, and those that didn't – London and Chichester – only failed to by a narrow margin. But they always knew the house of laity would be a problem. A grouping of more than 200 laypeople, the house has become markedly more conservative in the 20 years since the synod voted to ordain female priests. A key task of the pro-female-bishop campaigners will now be to learn from the political zeal of their traditionalist opponents and *get their people in the house at the next elections, due in 2015.""

Rudolphstolemycarrots Thu 22-Nov-12 20:10:27

Yes do it and write a covering letter to the church explaining why you have made that decision.

MrsJamin Thu 22-Nov-12 20:15:05

YABU. What on earth would it achieve rather than hurting your local church which need local donations? I don't support the overall decision to not allow female bishops but I am an active member of a CofE church and DS1 goes to a CofE school, and that won't change. Most people within the church supported the change, just not enough yet to make the change.

somewherewest Thu 22-Nov-12 20:19:17

How is withdrawing support from a congregation which favours equality for women going to further the cause of equality for women?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now