to ask what the worst present you ever had was

(416 Posts)

When I first started seeing my now DH, he asked what I wanted for my birthday. I answered "nothing" and I got it! I've also been given a size 10 bikini (when I was a size 16), by a Great Aunt and a hose reel by my MIL. What strange things have you been given?

RuleBritannia Tue 27-Nov-12 20:49:57

fuzzpig I feel sorry for your DH on his 18th for being given the frying pan he was whacked with! My son was the same sort of teenager and I used a fish slice. When he turned round and laughed at me during the process it told me that it was the last time. Perhaps your DH's mother was telling your DH the same when she gave the frying pan to him.

fuzzpig Tue 27-Nov-12 21:02:29

Same sort of teenager? An abused one?!

mamamibbo Tue 27-Nov-12 21:18:25

i think i have that potato cookbook

abbierhodes Tue 27-Nov-12 23:07:34

Rulebritannia- what the actual fuck??

Flyingspaghettimonster, yours has made me very sad. Who would want to do anything other than spoil a child at Christmas? Hope you have lovely christmases nowadays.

zukiecat Wed 28-Nov-12 13:48:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Whocansay Wed 28-Nov-12 14:27:38

Not as annoying as most on here, but every time my dcs have a birthday / Xmas, my mum will say "oh I don't know what to get x, so just buy something they would like, and I'll give you the money".

Needless to say, she has NEVER given any money for presents. It pisses off my dh no end.

Disclaimer - I have never spent more than £20 on 'Nanny's present'.

fuzzpig Wed 28-Nov-12 14:33:01

Zukie, that's vile sad did your DD realise it was hers?

fuzzpig Wed 28-Nov-12 14:36:13

I have seen dictionaries mentioned numerous times - I would love one! In fact when DH and I were planning our wedding, we agreed that if we had a gift list (we didn't in the end) the first item would be an OED! We bought one last year, of course we often use google on our phones but still the beautiful heavy book does get used a lot (and not just for scrabble grin)

amillionyears Wed 28-Nov-12 14:37:48

Zukie, what your XH did was nasty behaviour.
<hugs to you and your DD2>.And have some thanks

My exh gave dd a stinking of cig smoke filthy Jane Norman bag that had a broken zip and belonged to his girlfriends older teen daughter when my dd was 5.

Last year age 9 he gave dd his step grandaughters broken toddler till toy.

Which if he was skint was fair enough but he bought his girfriends daughter a pair of hundreds of pounds designer boots

zukiecat Wed 28-Nov-12 15:08:33

zukiecat Wed 28-Nov-12 15:12:22

oliviafrombolivia Wed 28-Nov-12 17:49:20

I once got a pack of diet cards from my mum (52 different slimming meals!), she once gave my husband an Amazon voucher (great, but she had bought it from Amazon.com, not co.uk - they wouldn't exchange it) delivery to the UK cost all but £2 of the amount the voucher was worth. Bless.

TheSilverPussycat Wed 28-Nov-12 18:41:06

I bought myself a set of those - didn't each suit have a different take on diet? I used to read them a lot - it made me feel thinner wink

laptopdancer Wed 28-Nov-12 18:55:36

It might sound ungrateful but when I was about ?12 I got a dressing table for my bedroom. It was wooden, painted white with glassy top and mirror. All my brothers and sisters got things to play with. (I am the oldest). I thought it was the crappiest gift ever...what 12 year old girl wants furniture for Xmas?

And then there was the set of saucepans from my boyfriend, now husband. Second Xmas together and also fell a month before we were leaving the country for a few years. I think one of my sisters may have them.

cluttercluttereverywhere Wed 28-Nov-12 19:07:05

SIL gave me, other SIL & MIL washing up brushes for Christmas last year. With the tags on saying 3 for £1.
This year, she's getting a bog brush from us. grin though MIL vetoed my suggestion of a used one

My best friend got a set of car mats for her 30th birthday from her husband.

fuzzpig Wed 28-Nov-12 19:13:23

DH used to work for Boots, one January somebody brought in a toiletries gift set that he wanted to exchange. Fair enough. DH looked it up on the system and it transpired it hadn't actually been manufactured for 7 years! This man's family had been regifting it annually since then grin

fuzzpig Wed 28-Nov-12 19:15:34

I was promised a congratulations present for my first GCSE result (we took ICT early)... new flooring that I loved (had never had so much as a lick of paint in my room before). Great, very exciting... but I had to pay for it myself.

fuzzpig Fri 30-Nov-12 16:34:12

I thought of this thread yesterday - I was in Victoria station and somebody walked past holding a book called "100 Potato Recipes" grin

Pandemoniaa Fri 30-Nov-12 17:17:03

I have seen dictionaries mentioned numerous times - I would love one!

Dictionaries are invaluable. But since we are not a family who could ever be accused of having a shortage of reference books (including a whacking great version of the OED) - and PIL knowing this and often commenting unfavourably - they knew that my dcs were already well supplied. And with far better dictionaries than the awful, cheapo versions that they clearly bought at the pound shop. They were deeply passive aggressive were the PIL and nothing ever came without an ill-concealed hidden meaning.

Although to be fair, at least they didn't commit some of the present-giving horrors described on this thread. The used items and out of date food are just eye-watering! As are those rude people who announce they've no use for a present and re-gift it to the original giver!

pleasestoptalking Fri 30-Nov-12 17:27:11

My husband's granny gave me a retractable duster and demonstrated how it should be used....

Dh uses it sometimes.

fuzzpig Fri 30-Nov-12 17:56:18

That would annoy me too pandemoniaa - my post wasn't meant in a "you're ungrateful if you don't want a dictionary" way BTW, just that I would love one myself! Well, a huge good quality dictionary anyway.

Your PIL sound quite unkind sad

mamamibbo Fri 30-Nov-12 21:23:41

a box of food from my gran when i had a baby (in 2010)....everything was at least 6 months out of date and the oldest was a packet of noodles with a best before of august 1986, ive kept them

pleasestoptalking Fri 30-Nov-12 22:15:13

when I was about 7 my gran gave me a roasted chicken and a hand-knitted jacket with a lead for my hamster.

maybe not my worst present but probably my weirdest. Hammy wasn't pleased with the bodywarmer either and refused to wear it.

BegoniaBampot Fri 30-Nov-12 22:38:34

A colonic irrigation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now