to think fresh healthy food should be subsidised?

(203 Posts)
kim147 Sun 18-Nov-12 16:50:35

www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/nov/18/breadline-britain-nutritional-recession-austerity

The amount of people getting 5 fruit and veg per day drops by 900,000

"The data show consumption of high-fat and processed foods such as instant noodles, coated chicken, meat balls, tinned pies, baked beans, pizza and fried food has grown among households with an income of less than £25,000 a year, as hard-pressed consumers increasingly choose products perceived to be cheaper and more "filling"."

There's some shocking but not surprising statistics in there about how fruit and veg has gone down. consumption of cheap processed food has gone up - no wonder health outcomes are low for poorer families.

Should certain fresh food be subsidised to ensure people can afford it? Or should people be encouraged to cook more? I think we have a nutritional timebomb.

MissCellania Tue 20-Nov-12 12:55:48

and I also have two children on lactose free diets, which adds expense, but is not an excuse (especially since you'll find milk products in a lot of ready meals)

FredFredGeorge Tue 20-Nov-12 13:08:56

The obsession with fruit and vegetables and "healthy living" is also pretty confused I think, there are very few people deficient in the UK in most of the major nutrients found in a strawberry (mostly Vitamin C, can be stored long term in the body and available in lots of foods) but there are many more short of Vitamin D - which isn't found in fruit and veg anyway (well alfalfa maybe but how many people are eating that?).

There are some people deficient in micro-nutrients, but the vast majority of the problems of peoples diets in the UK is one of over-consumption of macro-nutrients, simply eating too much. And the "5 a day" is really aimed at tackling that - due to the lower nutrient density of most fruit and veg, rather than a big deficiency in vitamins.

garlicbaguette Tue 20-Nov-12 13:30:52

Fair point about the ready meals ... I was pretty keen to know where she got them! Maybe she just meant a couple of BOGOF pizzas? (Not such a bad meal with some bread & veg.)

YY, Fred. First World malnutrition is often caused by 'healthy' diets like the raw vegan diet and/or continuing 'diets' that were only promoted for short-term use.

To be fair, you can eat any old toot with adequate vitamin/mineral supplements and not be malnourished. Whether you'd actually be healthy is another matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now