to think there are certain words that should never come out of an adult's mouth?

(176 Posts)
GretaGip Thu 15-Nov-12 22:19:58

Mean.

'Snot fair

Bobbies

I'm sure there's more...

Dylanlovesbaez Wed 21-Nov-12 09:28:55

Tee hee
Bless
Bum bum
Funky
Awesome

Dylanlovesbaez Wed 21-Nov-12 09:25:40

Also hate babe and bubs/bubba makes me feel physically sick.

Dylanlovesbaez Wed 21-Nov-12 09:22:55

Simples but said shimples because they are trying to impersonate that fucking meerkat.
Fucking idiots.

Any teenage language
Mummy and Daddy
Preggers
Hubby
Hun
Babe
Any word ever spoken on TOWIE, ever
And women who talk in a baby voice to their partners "can babes get me a ickle drinky-poo pretty please?" Fuck right off.

CrapBag Tue 20-Nov-12 22:09:19

Whats holibobs? confused

vladthedisorganised Mon 19-Nov-12 14:42:57

Only skimmed through the thread but I do use 'ghastly'. And 'diverting', and 'vulgar'. Not posh at all so it sounds quite amusing funny in my accent.

However, the following are truly offensive to my ears..
Hubs/ hubby/bubba
Yummy in my tummy! said by anyone over 5 years of age and especially in a restaurant
Bok-bok, bot-bot, nap-nap, wee-wee, poo-poo, vom-vom (OK I made the last one up)
Referring to breasts as 'boob', and particularly referring to breastfeeding a child as 'x wants boob' or 'boobie juice'. Or 'bubba wants boobie juice' <head explodes>

cumfy Mon 19-Nov-12 13:16:11

Oooh I like rhomboid.

Rollmops Mon 19-Nov-12 13:14:51

I use mean, horrid, ghastly etc every day. I also call my mother Mama and father Papa, thanks awfully.hmm
That said, anyone who uses the following words ceases to exist as an intelligent being and is therefore dealt with as a member of inferior species.
-minging
-rank
-fookin
-innit
-like like like
-chillax
-holibobs

[Goes to lie down as even typing this has made one rather nauseous]

To be continued...

CinnabarRed Mon 19-Nov-12 13:10:44

I quite like 'oblong'. It rhymes with pong. And schlong. A very useful word.

CinnabarRed Mon 19-Nov-12 13:10:12

So are we, in fact, of the view that oblongs are OK by us? Or not?

cumfy Mon 19-Nov-12 12:28:15

As I just said
Twenny
Going forward
On message
IYSWIM

mummytime Mon 19-Nov-12 12:07:56

The South African use of Man, doesn't that come from the same as th US usage. That is from Germanic languages, where it has a real meaning, not quite the same as the English word "man"?

lottiegarbanzo Mon 19-Nov-12 08:03:53

I thought oblongs had / could have curved corners.

lottiegarbanzo Mon 19-Nov-12 08:02:25

Vintage, that's funny about elf. I grew up here and for years thought inability to say th was a speech impediment, rather than the accent / affectation that it is.

Panties conjures images of little lacy garments, worn by young women in the 1960s. It is twee and faux sexy in a not very sexy way.

Pants is normal, or knickers but I bet some people don't like that. I'd say briefs are male, it is just the M&S packaging that says otherwise. Americans saying underwear for pants sounds to me as though they are so prudish as to lack a specific word for pants, so only able to refer to them in the wider context of undergarments.

You may not use knickers but do reference the, to us, far more archaic knickerbockers. To us, Knicks could only be an abbreviation for knickers!

VintageRainBoots Mon 19-Nov-12 04:42:20

Jessie: My response as a savage American:

"Knickers" is one of those words that never crossed the pond; knickers sounds like a word my grandmother would use, and brings to mind petticoats and lace-trimmed parasols; it feels so old-fashioned and archaic to me. Americans often use the word "pants" where the British use the word "trousers" (though Americans do know the word "trousers" but it's not commonplace). Finally, "briefs" is only used to described men's tighty whitey style of underwear; "briefs" would be contrasted against "boxers" and would never be used to describe a woman's undergarments.

What's so wrong with the word "panties"? What's its [objectionable] connotation?

JessieMcJessie Mon 19-Nov-12 03:55:17

Rain boots - knickers, pants or (if you are M&S packaging) briefs. we also only ever use "underwear" to mean the whole ensemble of bra and pants/pants and vest.

VintageRainBoots Mon 19-Nov-12 00:37:49

Re: "Oblong" -> "It's a bloody rectangle!!"

Oblong can refer to shapes other than rectangles, as I recall.

VintageRainBoots Mon 19-Nov-12 00:34:57

I'm curious: If you don't say "panties" then what do you use to describe those undergarments? In the US (where I'm from), "panties" is the word we use.

VintageRainBoots Mon 19-Nov-12 00:26:08

*say, not take

(I'd pay money for an edit feature on this board)

VintageRainBoots Mon 19-Nov-12 00:25:34

Re: "Yep, born and bred in Suffolk. I fink my sister can't say 'th' too."

I'm new to the UK, so I'm still trying to understand why some people take "th" and others don't. For example, I keep seeing that Health Lottery commercial where the first lady screams, "I won the elf lo'ery!"

I really thought she was saying elf, not health.

VintageRainBoots Mon 19-Nov-12 00:16:45

archfiend It's wrong to say Hubby? sad

I use "Hubby" all the time. It's far more efficient than "the annoying male watching telly who insists on putting his penis inside me as often as possible."

MichelleRooJnr Mon 19-Nov-12 00:11:34

I mostly agree with these all.
But...
I'm Irish, and Mammy and Daddy it is.
Yeah it's a wee bit cringey at times but my 7 siblings already thing I'm anglisized (sp?) enough without introducing Mum and Dad into things. Jazus forbid.

PinkPeanuts Sun 18-Nov-12 23:56:54

"Lush" grates on me no end! As does "I'm not being funny" angry

"wuv" as in "but i wuv him" i had a friend who said this and it made me want to scream.

also

snugglies when talking about sex - same friend. NO just NO.

CrapBag Sun 18-Nov-12 21:47:30

Don't know if it is on here, only read first page but "wel jel"

Just no!!!

Any other twee words, bubba, bubs, most stuff on here really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now