to be fucked off that stroes still feel the need to define toys by gender?

(405 Posts)
GretaGip Wed 14-Nov-12 22:02:14

I've been wandering around all day looking for inspiration. hmm

And it seems that within toy sales it's imperatiove to be prosciptive. sad

Surely one of the major retailers could realise that cupcakes and butterflies for grils and transport and dinosaurs for boys is just ouutdated and break free from the molud and then just sit back and wait for hoards of satisfued MNers to boost their sales.

AIBsimplistic?

Sigh.

OneHandWavingFree Mon 19-Nov-12 00:08:52

Have posted a thread in Feminism. Thanks for starting this discussion, Greta.

OneHandWavingFree Sun 18-Nov-12 23:44:10

I'm just back to the computer now. I found that Facebook group, thanks 5mad smile

I'd be happy to start the thread (or join it if someone else starts it) - is Feminism the best place? Would enough people see it there?

5madthings Sun 18-Nov-12 19:26:51

Its TowardTheStars on fb i have them 'liked' so anyone xan pm me and thdn i xan give you my name and you can add me to find it.

I am going to work.out how to do a link from my phone...

5madthings Sun 18-Nov-12 19:22:18

We should start a thread. In feminism pethaps? We could come up with an email that could then be sent to offending companies.
We could have a list of companies and an email addy for each one on the thread?

The fb page is towardthestars. Will try and do a link but am on my phone, need to learn how to fo it!

Portofino Sun 18-Nov-12 19:06:50

I am interested too.

5madthings Sun 18-Nov-12 15:28:46

I am on phone as my pc has died. If you pm me i shall tell you my fb name and you can add me and the group us in my 'likes' and will try and share it with you.

And yes a new thread and list of shops to target!! Thetowardthestars group.is happy to share a campaign on their page as well.

OneHandWavingFree Sun 18-Nov-12 14:55:45

I can't find that fb group, 5mad - can I trouble you for a link? smile

I am up for an email campaign - shall we start a different thread to see who else is interested? Which stores to target?

5madthings Sun 18-Nov-12 02:31:44

Towardsthestars is a fb group that campaigns on this issue smile

And i am.up.for an email campaign to retailers that categorise by gender, its not necessary and its bloody lazy!

PseudoBadger Sat 17-Nov-12 22:35:24

I'm fairly new to toy shopping as DS isn't quite 2. But I popped into Selfridges the other day and was really surprised to see they had a Boys blue section and a Girls pastel section sad

Portofino Sat 17-Nov-12 22:33:55

caro, please let us not let one poster, who, after all decried this as non-issue, 1st world problem, easily solved by proper parenting, derail what IS an interesting discussion.

carovioletfizz Sat 17-Nov-12 22:30:50

It just seemed that what was an interesting discussion has got a little bit too personal, which is a shame. Not trying to be pious. I have found this debate interesting and it has probably changed my views and opened my eyes to the fact that certain toys are pushed towards boys or girls.

Portofino Sat 17-Nov-12 22:28:46

Was going to say Amazon as their headers are not gender specific, but then I clicked on the "gift guides" on the right hand side....

Portofino Sat 17-Nov-12 22:24:22
YoullScreamAboutItOneDay Sat 17-Nov-12 22:21:04

Squoosh. Yes, it does.

Although, amusing story. We took DD2 to the GP the other day. Nearly every GP at our surgery is female and we are fairly robust health-wise so she doesn't really see anyone else (hospitals, etc). This time we happened to see a male doctor. DD1 (3.5) spent the whole afternoon talking about 'when we went to see the boy doctor'. She has never qualified it like that for the women or female heath visitors we have seen.

Portofino Sat 17-Nov-12 22:20:38

Ooh CHiPs, Squoosh - I loved that.

Portofino Sat 17-Nov-12 22:19:49

Argos manage to do it by cost/type of toy. It's not so hard.

SuePurblybiltbyElves Sat 17-Nov-12 22:18:21

There are degrees of wrong, Mrs DV. Like calling a discussion an abusive catfight. Or making horrible personal attacks.
So in the grand scheme of things, you were only a tiny bit wrong.

squoosh Sat 17-Nov-12 22:18:14

The doctors outfit for boys and nurse outfit for girls just sums the whole problem up, doesn't it?

When I was a girl I had a Chips (California Highway Patrol) outfit. I was like a mini Village Person.

YoullScreamAboutItOneDay Sat 17-Nov-12 22:17:47

Except that she did report it, so she did want to erase all record of what she said. She may have been beaten to it, but the intention and the end result were the same.

MrsDeVere Sat 17-Nov-12 22:14:46

I just found out that Autocorrected poster's post was deleted before she reported it.
So I was wrong.
I apologise.

YoullScreamAboutItOneDay Sat 17-Nov-12 22:13:06

I was shocked yesterday to see that if you search online for John Lewis toys and choose a gender based search (you can do by type of toy too), the doctor outfit comes up in a boy search but not a girl, and vice versa for a nurse shock. John Bloody Lewis. I expect more from them quite frankly.

OneHandWavingFree Sat 17-Nov-12 22:11:43

Oops - those links were supposed to lead to 'contact us' pages. Oh well - they're easy to find from the main page if anyone's interested.

OneHandWavingFree Sat 17-Nov-12 22:05:55

I posted a similar thread last month.

OP, YADNBU and I'm posting now to just echo all the others who can't believe that so many people either think that the marketing of adventure (and worse, violence-themed) toys to boys, and domestic (and worse, image-obsessed or "sexy") toys to girls is just fine (which is appalling), or that marketing has no impact on children and parents at all (which is idiotic).

I wrote emails to Boots, Tesco, and Debenhams Customer Service about this, outlining my concerns and asking for an explanation as to what each company sees as the benefit of grouping toys in this way. Of course I've heard nothing back.

Is this something that any organised group is actively lobbying these companies to change? Anyone know?

KnockMeDown Sat 17-Nov-12 22:04:28

I haven't read the whole thread, and I'm not going to, as I think it has probably gone all unnecessary, and can't be arsed I have flu and have drunk too much wine , BUT

I was in ELC today, and DD, who is 2.6, was having a great time playing on a keyboard toy. The one they had out was silver, black and red, and looked great. The colour really suited the design of the toy. Then I looked at the shelf, where there were some in their packaging. The ones with the red/black version had boys on the box, and there was another version, pink and lilac, with a girl on. Totally unnecessary to make this other version!! And it looked lame in those colours.

In general I have nothing against pink, but on balance, OP - I am with you!

MrsDeVere Sat 17-Nov-12 22:00:31

Where would we be without our rectums?
Up shit creek, thats where...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now