to want animated films with strong female characters for DD to watch?

(103 Posts)

DD is 3.4 and we sometimes sit down and watch films together. She's at the age where she's starting to notice differences between people and characters and isn't very impressed with the 'girls waiting to be rescued' kind of plot that seems to be common. I mentioned this to a friend the other day and she thought I was being daft, that films have nothing to do with how a child views the world as they're "just entertainment". She seemed very amused that I want to find some films with strong female characters. hmm

I'm not BU about this am I? DD adores the Octonauts (and pretends to be Tweak or Kwazii most days), likes Lilo and Stitch, Mulan and Beauty and the Beast (mostly for the teapot I think!). But most other children's films seem to feature girls who need to be rescued (I'm thinking Aladdin, Robin Hood, the traditional fairy tales like Sleeping Beauty and Snow White etc). Am I overthinking this?

HotDAMNlifeisgood Wed 14-Nov-12 13:33:45

You are not being unreasonable at all; your friend is being naive.

Have you seen any of the Studio Ghibli films? Animated films, always a young girl as the lead, and women of all ages feature strongly. (another bonus is that characters have shades of grey - noone appears to be all good or all bad).

Gubbins Wed 14-Nov-12 13:35:12

Not overthinking at all. I'm impressed that she's already noticing the way that girls are often portrayed. You're raising a good little feminist there.

Studio Ghibli are great for strong female protagonists. My Neighbour Totoro, Spirited Away, Arrietty, Kiki's Delivery service...

CrapBag Wed 14-Nov-12 13:35:13

Yes you are.

They are just films. Some have different style characters. Just because some feature females waiting to be rescued doesn't mean you should avoid them.

Brave has strong female characters but I did find it was quite scary for a little one. Shrek is pretty good too. Fiona is a strong female character.

Fakebook Wed 14-Nov-12 13:35:43

What about Brave? Or shrek?

Spatsky Wed 14-Nov-12 13:35:47

The Princess in "Brave" is pretty ballsy, compared to usual Disney Princesses especially.

It's a pretty crap storyline in general though.

Spatsky Wed 14-Nov-12 13:36:36

X posts with Fakebook and Crapbag

I've heard of Studio Ghibli but thought their films were more for older children - I'll go and have a look at them now, thanks.

I haven't seen Brave but had forgotten about Shrek, she does quite like that one too.

neolara Wed 14-Nov-12 13:39:46

Scooby doo. Velma always solves the mystery, and while Daphne does wear a short skirt, she also (literally) kicks arse on occasion.

Pocahontas? She's quite headstrong. You already have mulan and belle.

DixieD Wed 14-Nov-12 13:42:30

Mmm I see your point. Even ones I can think of with good female characters often have male ones in the lead role.
Any of the Shreks. Princess Fiona is a strong character. Toy Story 2 and 3 with Jessie in them. New Disney princess movie Brave. Very good strong female. Scooby Do - think the girls in that are quite good, although I dont watch it so could be wrong. My daughter loves Matilda but your DD may be a bit young.

Ill have to have a think for some more.

CrapBag Wed 14-Nov-12 13:44:21

Let her watch Buffy. wink

Ok I am joking and she is far too young, but another example of a strong female lead.

See there is tons of stuff around. I don't buy into all this 'oh women are only cast in weak roles' plenty of proof here that they are not.

Gubbins Wed 14-Nov-12 13:44:51

My Neighbour Totoro is perfect for that age, PuddleJumper. It was my terrified-at-the-slightest-peril eldest daughter's favourite when she was about 3. I'd probably put off Spirited away for a couple of years, though.

BeauNeidel Wed 14-Nov-12 13:46:30

I like Studio Ghibli. Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited Away are favourites here.

However, I also really like Aladdin et al. I grew up with those and I'm a very strong woman. Nothing to rescue here.

I think possibly you are overthinking a little bit. I'd like to think that my mother and other role models had a greater influence on my life than the Disney movies I liked and watched over again.

CrapBag I will definitely be introducing her to Buffy when she's a bit older! grin

Thanks Gubbins, I'll look out for that one. I"ve just discovered that we have Howl's Moving Castle on the Sky box - what's that like?

Beau I'm happy for her to watch Aladdin etc, I just want some other stuff to balance it out a bit. She's starting to complain that the girls never get to do anything!

Fakebook Wed 14-Nov-12 13:48:49

Tangled is quite good. Rapunzel is quite handy with the frying pan.

Dd is 5 and is into Mona the Vampire at the moment. If you want to go retro why don't you buy her some Maid Maryan and her Merry Men DVD's. I loved that programme growing up.

MummyPig24 Wed 14-Nov-12 13:49:27

Brave is great, Princess and the Frog, Tiana is pretty strong in that film.

JackThePumpkinKing Wed 14-Nov-12 13:49:51

Howl is great, but even DS who has watched Ghibli films since her was 2 was a bit scared by it and it was a bit old for him. I'd start off with My Neighbor Totoro and go from there. grin

JackThePumpkinKing Wed 14-Nov-12 13:50:06

Ponyo is awesome too.. really sweet.

I've never heard of the Princess and the Frog! blush

<adds Tangled and Ponyo to the list as well>

KnittingZombie Wed 14-Nov-12 13:51:58

Princess and the frog is good, though the voodoo character might be a bit scary for younger viewers

MummyPig24 Wed 14-Nov-12 13:52:52

Ooh and Coraline. Depends if your dd is easily freaked out or not. I seem to have bred totally fearless children. No, actually, dd is scared of the carpet shop.

Argh, no, Coraline freaks me out!

I was coming straight on here to say Studio Ghibli! grin

I love it, they're all brilliant.

My Neighbour Totoro is gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now