In getting irritated with people who indirectly mock poor people?

(178 Posts)
dontcallmehon Wed 14-Nov-12 00:00:57

I have an acquaintance who constantly comments on how much she hates Iceland frozen food and how cheap it is and how disgusting it must be. It seems to be a running joke with her and all her friends. Acquaintance is well off and I can't help thinking her jokes are not funny and actually some people might need to buy the cheap food Iceland offers. AIBU?

maddening Wed 14-Nov-12 06:51:14

Are we allowed to mock Harrods or would rich folk be offended?

mrskeithrichards Wed 14-Nov-12 07:33:14

It was a magnificent day when I realised iceland sold Greggs sausage rolls.

mrskeithrichards Wed 14-Nov-12 07:34:11

I do think in general though the food is shit and don't understand how people can shop for the week there, poor or not!

usualsuspect3 Wed 14-Nov-12 07:37:53

If people want to pay more for their food because it's beneath them to shop in Iceland, that makes them a mug as well as a snob.

SoupDragon Wed 14-Nov-12 07:39:04

YABU. People get mocked for shopping at Waitrose too.

MotherfuckingMorrisMan Wed 14-Nov-12 07:40:31

I started a thread some time ago about Icealnd as, frankly, some of the food they sell is revolting looking. Kebab pizzas, big boxes of frozen sandwich platters, vagina looking canapes.

But - I go in there once a month or so to buy some stuff, as a lot is ridiculously cheap, especially basics like butter, bin bags, detergent etc.

Your friend sounds horrible, but I don't think it is necessarily snobby to take the piss out of nasty looking frozen food.

Iceland's adverts don't help.

lovebunny Wed 14-Nov-12 07:51:03

i use a pet forum where some contributors are able to provide accommodation for their animals that is better than a lot of people's homes! however, when anyone asks for money-saving tips, it becomes clear that the majority are on very tight budgets. no-one mocks at all. i think you just have an unpleasant person as a friend.

Whatnowffs Wed 14-Nov-12 07:56:03

I'm pretty hard up, broke in fact. I have TRIED to shop in iceland, but i just can't find anything in there we want to eat and the non-frozen stuff is more expensive than ASDA. I wonder if it is because there are only three of us, if i were catering for 6 i might find the place more useful.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Wed 14-Nov-12 07:57:37

Anyone who 'constantly comments' on something that has no effect on their lives is dull and boring.

But I'd agree that Iceland (especially own brand) food is a bit crap.

Whatnowffs Wed 14-Nov-12 07:58:34

I would be more hmm about someone who did their weekly shop at waitrose though, i mean, who in their right mind goes and pays more for the SAME item just because its in NIACE shops.

Whatnowoffs - I get a lot of shopping from Waitrose (ocado) as they automatically price match Tesco so its no dearer.

usualsuspect3 Wed 14-Nov-12 08:03:58

It wasn't so long ago that people took the piss if you shopped in Aldi or Lidl,Now they seem to be the in place to shop

FellatioNelson Wed 14-Nov-12 08:08:51

She is not mocking poor people, she is mocking crap processed food for lazy people, and perhaps she is also mocking lazy people who refuse to learn to cook wholesome food from cheap ingredients.

If you make the link that people who can't/don't/won't cook are all poor then that's your problem - not hers.

OldMumsy Wed 14-Nov-12 08:10:36

dontcallmehon it sounds like you don't like her much so why not just defriend her rather than going into battle for a load of hypothetical 'mocked' poor people?

ihavenofuckingclue Wed 14-Nov-12 08:11:14

I don't shop at Iceland and their adverts piss me off and shock horror I make fun of it. Making fun of a brand is not making fun of the people who use it.

As an aside I do not like and will not buy any apple products. Doesn't mean I am mocking those who do.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Wed 14-Nov-12 08:13:37

We have a Waitrose within walking distance. I realise that with some' not all, things that it is more expensive, but then if I shop there I save myself petrol money from driving the 15-25 minutes to any of the other stores.

usualsuspect3 Wed 14-Nov-12 08:13:39

Obviously all the WWaitrose shoppers never buy ready meals or frozen food...

fluffygal Wed 14-Nov-12 08:15:27

Hmm I live next to a Waitrose and find it ridiculously expensive, I never understand how or why anyone shops there. Even their value range is too expensive.

Pagwatch Wed 14-Nov-12 08:16:23

So it's not 'people' mocking poor people at all. It is one person.

You have a friend who apparently is an arse.
You don't like her but can't block her. She talks about people who shop at Iceland all the time - which frankly sounds bizarre. If anyone I knew kept posting about frozen food and linking it to the poor people who buy it I would have concerns about them. But I would certainly hide her news feed.

But I think Iceland is shite simply because of the adverts. Z lists celebrities being presented as good mums because they can occasionally heat up a platter of food the colour of a runny bowel movement is irritating to me.

Your op is chippy nonsense.

Whatnowffs Wed 14-Nov-12 08:16:42

But outraged i bet Freddos are really expensive in waitrose! wink

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Wed 14-Nov-12 08:17:27

They are! They do bargain Freddos in Iceland!

KinkyDorito Wed 14-Nov-12 08:21:31

She is missing out on Baileys Profiterole Gateau.

I can't go in there now for fear I will buy a dozen of them.

SoupDragon Wed 14-Nov-12 08:23:34

I would be more about someone who did their weekly shop at waitrose though, i mean, who in their right mind goes and pays more for the SAME item just because its in NIACE shops.

That makes you just as mean and narrow minded as the person in the OP then doesn't it?

MrsDeVere Wed 14-Nov-12 08:24:28

Just file 'not buying in Iceland' under Weird Things to be Smug About.

And pity the fewl who needs to constantly boost their own self esteem by telling ransoms where they wouldnt shop.

dysfunctionalme Wed 14-Nov-12 08:38:35

I think the fact that she posts about Iceland on Facebook is quite tragic. Does she in fact have a life? Definitely not someone you would be wanting to spend time or energy on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now