Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be shocked by Helen smoking on I'm a Celebrity?

(66 Posts)
Rushyswife Tue 13-Nov-12 22:01:09

Just that really, was surprised to see smoking on such a popular show. Not that I particularly object to smoking but it seemed a bit unnecessary, especially as its popular with so many kids. Aibu? Should I chill the hell out?!!!

valiumredhead Wed 14-Nov-12 13:00:31

I've just watched it - I think she seemed 'unnatural' as she ws very nervous and was doing it in an attempt to calm herself down - poor thing is obviously terrified.

Pinkpeacock Wed 14-Nov-12 11:56:23

I love the Mike Baldwin comment!

FlyingFig Wed 14-Nov-12 10:50:44

YABU. She's an adult and the show isn't really aimed at kids anyway, it's on at 9pm.

There's far more boozing shown on TV; in fact one of my earliest memories is sitting in the bath filling up a shampoo bottle top, pretending to be Mike Baldwin, swilling my brandy glass grin.

No wonder I've got a taste for alcohol blush

pictish Wed 14-Nov-12 10:08:26

Yabu. She smokes, so that's that.

IAMU Wed 14-Nov-12 10:04:31

YABU. She isn't doing anything illegal. She is perfectly entitled to have a smoke if she wishes to. Smoking on tv isn't new. I'm a Celeb is on after the watershed, the likes of Eastenders, Emmerdale and Coronation Street are all before 9pm and each one shows actors smoking. Kids are more likely to watch those than I'm a Celeb, so if you want something to moan about, moan about the them!

And as others have said, there are a few who have been smoking so far in there, so why the shock now Helen has done it?

Mrsjay Wed 14-Nov-12 09:48:52

as a mum of teens smoking really is uncool yes my dds know a few people their age who smoke but they are not seen as cool at all , I am a smoker it was the stupidest thing i have ever did was starting again and my dds will tell me how horrible it is,

surfingbabies Wed 14-Nov-12 09:47:10

I was shocked too as my DD watches it but I do think the show in the afternoon edits out certain things! This is the first year my DD has been interested & I gather its only because 'everyone' at school is talking about it and she would feel left out grin

valiumredhead Wed 14-Nov-12 09:42:14

I don't think young people smoke anywhere near the amount they used to because of the price. I never see school kids smoking these days.

valiumredhead Wed 14-Nov-12 09:41:09

I do that too FF grin

I love crap telly, I don't know why people get so snotty about it - sometimes I just want to veg and watch some funny, non taxing shit, in exactly the same way sometimes I don't always want to read a taxing book.

lollilou Wed 14-Nov-12 09:37:26

I saw this and I must admit I raised my eyebrows a bit. I was a huge smoker only a few months ago and I don't think I am a rabid anti-smoker now, but my dd and I watch this show and I don't like seeing the younger ones smoking. My dearest wish is that smoking becomes very uncool so that no young people want to do it and become addicted for as long as I did.

fluffyraggies Wed 14-Nov-12 09:16:00

I'm blush that i'm watching it at all.

In my defense i watch it the day after and FF through 90% of it, just watching the actual trials and the celebs mooching about in camp. Takes it down to about 15 mins actual viewing time grin

Mrsjay Wed 14-Nov-12 09:12:47

maybe she is starving or maybe her footballer fiancee doesnt like her smoking and she was being a rebel grin

fluffyraggies Wed 14-Nov-12 09:10:50

P'raps she's taken it up in there in an effort to keep her appetite down?

Mrsjay Wed 14-Nov-12 08:59:45

I said that on the IMAC thread she doesn't look like she smokes a lot she wasn't hodling it right

valiumredhead Wed 14-Nov-12 08:54:09

Celebs have always smoked on BB and I'm A Celeb - it's nothing new.

Signet2012 Wed 14-Nov-12 08:50:51

I commented on it to dp. Nor because she smoked but the way she was smoking. I gor the impression maybe she didn't usually smoke for some reason. The Way she was holding it didn't seem very natural to her iykwim

Mrsjay Wed 14-Nov-12 08:48:17

they are outside how can it be illegal they are also In australia where laws maybe different, oh and they are outside , maybe alll the offended shouldn't watch Im a celeb hardly a high brow programme they scoff Animal arse fgs

Fakebook Wed 14-Nov-12 08:46:56

YABU for watching that crap. I'd rather stick pins in my eyes.

Max only smokes when he's stressed about something.

Mrsjay Wed 14-Nov-12 08:46:32

oH do shush janey, lots of young people smoke a lot of thin attractive people smoke usually to keep the weight down (allegedly) would surprise you who smokes really

Mrsjay Wed 14-Nov-12 08:45:18

Brian Hugo and eric all have been smoking on IMACELEB what are you shocked about, ? I did think she was showing off like a 15 yr old smoking at the live bit , they usually put the fags away for that, children are not going to be damaged by seeing people smoke on tv , Max on enders always smoked so does dot and cora , meh it is just a fag

Pinkpeacock Wed 14-Nov-12 08:37:49

What did the Police say?

LucieMay Wed 14-Nov-12 07:16:24

Janey, so if you're overweight you're automatically unattractive and unsuccessful... and if you're unattractive you're automatically unsuccessful? Strange correlation there between looks and success life.

janey68 Wed 14-Nov-12 07:09:35

Agree with the above. It just seems odd because we don't associate smoking with young attractive people- it hasn't been seen as cool for years and years now. Being totally honest if I'm wandering around town, the smokes will tend to be old men and women, or if they're younger they often seem to be overweight generally unhealthy Unattractive types. I expect someone will try to flame me for saying that but it's true. My SIL who is a secondary teacher says the smokers in her school tend to be the less able disaffected ones who aren't successful. So I agree that nowadays it strikes us as unusual to see someone young, apparently successful and attractive, smoking.

Having said all that, I also agree that the show is shite; why are you watching OP?!

Lougle Wed 14-Nov-12 07:08:07

Oh, not illegal because it isn't enclosed.

Lougle Wed 14-Nov-12 07:05:41

Actually, I wonder where it stands legally? If cameras are rolling and it's all screened, then the jungle has surely been made a set, which means it's illegal?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now