to think that not many 11 year old boys have "spotty" clothes??

(95 Posts)
amck5700 Mon 12-Nov-12 16:57:12

Children in Need day at school on Friday - Children are having a non-uniform day and pay a minimum of 50p to raise money for children in need - don't have any problem with that.

Then read further down and see that they have to wear something spotty - the spottier the better - that's probably not too bad to fulfil if you have a young girl - nightmare if you have a boy - especially an 11 year old!!

I am sure the children that are in need don't really care how the money is raised - so why make such a specific stipulation?? - I'm not buying him anything special so unless I ruin a piece of his existing clothes by drawing spots on it, then he wont get to participate.

woollyknickers Mon 12-Nov-12 17:15:00

Not just 11 year boys, OP.

My 9 year old DD has no spotty t-shirt to wear to school on Friday, either. Plus, the school only mentioned the need for spotty clothes in last Friday's newsletter - giving plenty of notice, as per usual...not!

But that belongs on a whole other thread wink

amck5700 Mon 12-Nov-12 17:16:55

lol Shatners

wooly - we got the notice today just so as to make it even more inconvenient for working parents who now don't have the weekend to organise anything.

amck5700 Mon 12-Nov-12 17:21:44

I guess the spotty thing only suits some parents of girly 5-7 year old girls or parents of pirates

Same issue here. They need something spotty or Children in Need clothing.

A mum at school said she was ordering her DD a CIN tshirt from Debenhams I think. I suggested that to DS but he said that he is not bothered and will just wear normal clothes. He reckons nobody else will bother.

But thanks so much for the Greggs wristband info - he will wear one of those I think so I'll get one.

goingupinsmoke Mon 12-Nov-12 17:22:49

DS x 2 here - what a nightmare, but last year I did stickers I just had sheets of white label stickers, made a word doc with colour spots and printed out at home, cut out the stickers and job done!

pigletpower Mon 12-Nov-12 17:24:18

Marker pens or packs of stickers are your friend.

seeker Mon 12-Nov-12 17:25:49

Sheet of round coloured stickers. Plain t shirt.

Sorted. Why are people such miseries???????

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Mon 12-Nov-12 17:26:23

YANBU! Stuff like this really boils my piss.

I wholeheartedly do NOT support children in need, I also have boys that do not possess spotty things, and I resent being made to spend money for a charity I don't support or have my child miss out. What is even more annoying, is that when CIN is being trotted out again, the cheapest spotty things are the CIN products, so I may as well buy one of them, or spend forever trying to find something spotty and then having to pay more for it, as well as having to pay parking in town! angry

SoupDragon Mon 12-Nov-12 17:27:11

Draw chicken pox spots on him.

amck5700 Mon 12-Nov-12 17:27:34

Complicated by the fact that he is 5 foot 3 and wears age 13-14 clothing - i did a quick trawl of ebay and surprisingly they had no items with spots in that size in boys wear smile

seeker Mon 12-Nov-12 17:27:56

I refer the Honourable Freddo to my previous answer.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 12-Nov-12 17:30:47

Felt tip spots on his face.

amck5700 Mon 12-Nov-12 17:32:28

seeker - I am not being a misery here - they could have let the kids wear their favourite clothes and donate and made more money rather than have people wasting money on tat that wont get worn afterwards or on things to customise something existing. it's a waste of the Earth's resources grin

Even if the had said everyone wear something really bright it would have been really nice. I love seeing them on go yellow day all dressed in bright colours. But the spots is just a bit of an needless faff.

MyNameIsLola Mon 12-Nov-12 17:32:35

My DS's school sent the same bloody letter hmm, agree that it's virtually impossible to get anything spotty for boys so I saw the CIN wristbands in Asda yesterday and bought one of those.

Narked Mon 12-Nov-12 17:32:53

Socks!

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Mon 12-Nov-12 17:33:14

Thanks Seeker, round coloured stickers is likely to be the way forward especially as DH can take some from work and I won't have to go into town for them

amck5700 Mon 12-Nov-12 17:34:24

.....Nooooooooooooo, I couldn't draw spots on his face, he is too beautiful smile

TheSmallPrint Mon 12-Nov-12 17:35:36

We have spots or stripes here too and my DS has neither. hmm Well except his footie kit so I guess that's what he's wearing.

amck5700 Mon 12-Nov-12 17:36:30

I'll have a scout about in the supermarket tonight or tomorrow night for a tie or wristband or socks (would they be girly?) or some stickers and take it from there - it'll have to be something manly he looks too much like a girl as it is.

Two years ago we used fabricpaints on two old stained polo shirts which we have kept, so hoping they will still fit. DD (6) has lots of spotty clothes, DS (8) has none. We were given several weeks notice though and a choice of CIN, spots or any other Mufti clothes. Collection on the day is bottles for the Christmas Fair tombola but we are doing a cake sale for CIN after school, so those that don't wish to donate can stay away.

ScatterChasse Mon 12-Nov-12 17:43:13

amck if he likes wearing shorts would he do what my (male) DCousin did? Buy a cheap pair of spotty tights (Clare's Accessories/Primark or somewhere like that) and wear them under shorts?

It's very obviously 'dressed up' and not bad in this weather! He was on the school's website and everything grin

(And I think his DSis might have pinched them afterwards...)

MammaTJ Mon 12-Nov-12 17:46:51

An old T-shirt, cut out circles and tack a huge one front and back of an ok t-shirt?

amck5700 Mon 12-Nov-12 17:49:04

lol - Scatter - I think he wouldn't - I wasn't joking when I said he was beautiful - he has a pretty face - still soft and sweet and has the current long hair style - unless he is clearly in boys clothes and even when he is he gets mistaken for a girl. He is not in any way effeminate but the girls like putting clasps etc in his hair and the boys understandably give him a hard time - I think girls spotty tights could quite possible ruin his life - some kids I think could definitely get away with it and it would be fun.......he couldn't.

amck5700 Mon 12-Nov-12 17:50:31

Mamma - I guess we could cut circles out the already ruined t-shirt and wear a dark one underneath so it showed through? Good idea.

Chopstheduck Mon 12-Nov-12 17:51:16

It does add up though, all these dressing up days. I don't think it is being a misery, seeker.

I gave into ds1's begging me to get him a pig costume for pink day, which cost £15, upon the basis he was going to also wear it to a fancy dress party which was subsequently cancelled.

Then the twins came home needing white clothes for an Egyptian day. Seriously, who buys 7 year old boys white clothes?! I ended up lending them both a couple of my tshirts, tied up around the waist, and they both came back stained beyond cleaning!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now