about my husband's snoring?????

(67 Posts)
NoTeaForMe Mon 12-Nov-12 00:04:27

He won't stop fucking snoring! I have moved him, told him to stop (I know this doesn't work, but neither does anything else) , shaken him, woken him. I've ran out of options so now I have moved to sleep in the spare room...I haven't told him and I have left the monitor with him!

What I would like to do is stab him in the throat, AIBU?!

lovelyladuree Mon 12-Nov-12 09:51:32

Found out by accident that Olbas Oil on his pillow stops my DP snoring. Trouble is, whole house stinks of it now. But we do sleep well.

fuzzpig Mon 12-Nov-12 10:01:15

He needs to go to the doctor. If it's sleep apnoea it needs sorting - does he realise it can kill? You stop breathing in the night, several times, it is really serious. This could be quite likely as you say it got better when he was fitter.

My dad has a CPAP too, it's not nice but y'know, it keeps him alive.

I snore as well (and was really worried I had SA) but my doctor just looked up my nose and gave me a steroid spray called nasonex I have polyps apparently <euww>. It worked within days and now I only snore badly when I have a cold.

Please bug him about this - it is a real bugbear of mine that people just see snoring as one of those annoying things men do, but it really can be the sign of a possibly fatal disorder, and it needs to be checked.

NoTeaForMe Mon 12-Nov-12 12:03:28

What's a CPAP? I will tell him about sleep apnoea but it's very unlikely he will go to the dr I think, I'll do my best!

Thankyou for all your advice. I have spoken to him about it this morning and he says he will start going to the gym again and get some of those nose strip things.

fuzzpig Mon 12-Nov-12 12:30:41

TBH I wouldn't bother with all those nose strips etc, if the snoring is severe it probably won't work!

Would he really not go if you told him sleep apnoea could be fatal?! sad

CPAP is continuous positive airway pressure. It's a machine you switch on at night and wear a mask, basically it uses pressure to keep your airways open, where the sleep apnoea causes it to close. It makes a quiet sound all night, but much better than snoring. It might be best not to mention the machine thing, if he's reluctant to go the doctor anyway it might put him off!

But equally it really could be something as simple as a prescription nose spray.

NoTeaForMe Mon 12-Nov-12 12:34:20

I'll talk to him fuzz I promise, I think he'll think
I'm over reacting though!

How do they diagnose sleep apnoea? He's a little younger than the average sufferer (I googled!) as he's 31.

Haylebop12 Mon 12-Nov-12 12:37:16

My dh's snoring makes me want to rip my own ears off.

fuzzpig Mon 12-Nov-12 12:43:18

I think my dad had to sleep wearing one of those clips that go on your finger, that measure oxygen? It could've been in a sleep clinic, but I have a feeling he did it at home. The clip was attached to machine that recorded his oxygen levels throughout the night - it showed that his levels were much lower than they should be.

My DH snores awfully and wakes the house up. He went to the doctor. Tried a spray and tablets a few times and gave up.

YANBU to want to kill him. I am thankful he works nights as part of his shifts- I don't get disturbed by him then!

TheSmallPrint Mon 12-Nov-12 12:49:21

Try nasal strips, the have stopped me killing my husband grin

TheSmallPrint Mon 12-Nov-12 12:50:22

CPAP seems a little OTT at this stage? confused

NoTeaForMe Mon 12-Nov-12 12:59:00

I agree TheSmallPrint it seems a bit much. He's promised he'll try and lose weight (he's not that overweight by the way, but yes, he could do with losing a bit!) and he'll get the nose strips. I'll talk to him about going to the dr though!

My DH was offered surgery to try and fix his snoring so CPAP isnt such overkill really.

TheSmallPrint Mon 12-Nov-12 13:08:26

I think I'd rather have a one off surgery than live with CPAP. My mum has this on a nightly basis and it's not pleasant and actually very noisy.

kiwigirl42 Mon 12-Nov-12 14:10:35

We went on holiday in the summer and shared a room with DS 12. I never thought anything of it but when we got home DS said to me 'How do you sleep with Dad snoring like that?'
He grunts and snorts, stops breathing then jerks a great big breath. Drives me nuts. When I've got a bad migraine he sleeps in the spare room as it physically hurts my head too much to tolerate the noise.
He was thin when we met and I used to check that he was not dead sometimes he breathed so quietly. Haven't the heart to tell him to diet though as he is a normal weight now.

squoosh Mon 12-Nov-12 14:14:44

kiwigirl, what you're describing, 'stops breathing then jerks a great big breath' really sounds like it might be sleep apnea. He'd want to get that checked sooner rather than later, dangerous to leave it untreated.

FrankWippery Mon 12-Nov-12 14:15:37

I think stabbing is perhaps a bit messy. Perhaps smothering with a pillow?

FrankWippery Mon 12-Nov-12 14:17:38

Oh, you're never too young for sleep apnoea. My DD3, who's nearly 4 suffers from it and sounds like an overweight truck driver who smokes 60 a day. I can hear her from downstairs at times.

fuzzpig Mon 12-Nov-12 14:22:26

Of course CPAP is overkill if there's no reason for it, but it's relatively simple to test for SA and probably/hopefully rule it out. May as well do that before trying other methods, because if it is SA, those methods will be a waste of money useless.

And yes kiwi the sudden big breath after stopping breathing is quite a bad sign. Worth getting checked out. smile

Everlong Mon 12-Nov-12 14:26:34

You are me. I am you. Exactly.
Every night for nearly 18 years.

Last night we went to bed early I'd been out Friday and Saturday night as we were tired. He woke me up at 1.45 snoring.. I was dreaming there was a drill in the bedroom.. lay there then for an hour before going in spare bed.

It's really getting me down too.

MoreBeta Mon 12-Nov-12 14:26:49

Get him to a GP - sleep apnoea is very bad for the person who suffers from it and their partner. I met a young slim 21 yr old man a few weeks back who described his sleep pattern and it is disrupted every 10 minutes and I told him to get to his GP. He said he feels constantly tired.

It can lead to heart conditions.

fuzzpig Mon 12-Nov-12 14:27:24

I'd definitely have surgery if it helped me sleep better and more safely!

The CPAP is uncomfortable - basically you are sleeping with an oxygen mask strapped to you and the noise sounds a bit like the sea (dad's one does anyway) - but not only does he not snore, he's also found that the quality of sleep is much much better, and he's no longer so exhausted and at risk of falling asleep at the wheel etc.

Totally worth it, if you have SA - obviously I wouldn't advocate just buying one for the sake of it grin

legohouse Mon 12-Nov-12 14:27:54

memory foam earplugs for you,i can't live without them,total silence...bliss

TigerFeet Mon 12-Nov-12 14:37:32

Sounding like a pile driver in the wee small hours seems to run in my family, we're all dreadful. DH also snores.

DH and I no longer sleep in the same room. We still <ahem> have an active sex life but go our separate ways when one of us falls asleep. It hasn't harmed our relationship at all, in fact I'd say it's far better for getting better sleep.

DH also uses ear plugs, I don't as they don't seem to stay in my ears.

I would also suggest going to the doctor, but if weight is an issue (which it is for dh and I) I would think the first line of attack would be to lose the weight.

Everlong Mon 12-Nov-12 14:45:36

Memory foam earplugs?

I have tried some foam ones but they were useless and just fell out.

I can only use wax ones now.

MY DH snores really loudly.

This week thank heavens he is on nights so 5 WHOLE NIGHTS OF SLEEP for me YIPEEE

I bought the mouth guard. Some nights it seems to work brilliantly. Others not at all. DH says he is not overweight when he is weighed at the GP, but he has quite a belly now and makes no attempt to stop eating extra bags of crisps etc. He does have a dicky ticker so says he can't exercise to lose weight, quite how that means he can still eat crap I don't know hmm

I have tried everything bar an oxygen mask!
I can't sleep with earplugs in, I have tried but they make me feel too cut off and if I don't hear the alarm and get up in the morning no one would!

I would move to another room but we don't have one sad
I sympathise with you it is SOOO draining to be permanently knackered!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now