To think this is so odd??!

(334 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Sun 11-Nov-12 17:45:47

My PIL have mentioned several times over te past 8 weeks since their 2nd grandchild was born that they would love to have a canvas of the two children (my DD and new DN) to put on the wall.

With christmas coming thought this would be a great gift so sent a message to BIL and his fiancée to ask if we could get the kids together to do this for them. DH has a brilliant camera and is quite into photography so wouldn't cost them anything and wouldn't take long.

BIL sent a message straight back saying great idea, they'll love that, lets set it up.

3 hours later and she sends me a message saying 'Im going to have to say no to the picture'.

Weird???! Please tell me this is completely off because I'm not really sure what on earth I'm supposed to respond to that!

BeaWheesht Sun 11-Nov-12 18:05:26

Oh I'd just reply saying 'ok that's a shame as mil has mentioned really wanting one but obviously your decision, I will let dh know as he'd already received yes text from Bol earlier. Hope you're having good weekend, see you XXXX'

curiousgeorgie Sun 11-Nov-12 18:06:10

Toughasoldboots that's brilliant! I'm doing that grin

BeaWheesht Sun 11-Nov-12 18:06:13

Cross post (and Bol = bil)

BodyOfEeyore Sun 11-Nov-12 18:08:15

That is odd.

simplesusan Sun 11-Nov-12 18:08:18

Yes just do one with your dc on it. It does sound odd, but hey ho.

How old is her DC? Can you not just get your DC to pose with some random baby of the same age and then photoshop your DN face onto it? grin

Quite clearly, op your children are far more attractive and she is worried about the comparison. Be kind grin

RubyrooUK Sun 11-Nov-12 18:10:42

Some people just hate those posed kids photos. Even as gifts for other people. I remember one friend actively laughing at another for getting some posed photos for family; she said they were naff, embarrassing and so on. Other friend was highly offended as her house is plastered with posed photos which she adores.

Both genuinely could not understand how the other could feel that way. (They are still friends btw, despite photo opinion differences!!!)

So I guess maybe she just dislikes that whole posed photo thing and there is nothing further to it, since you get on well?

SecretCervix Sun 11-Nov-12 18:12:03

Leave the poor woman alone. If she doesn't want a picture, that is her decision and you should respect that. YABU.

TheProvincialLady Sun 11-Nov-12 18:12:34

Next time your SIL wants you to do something innocuous, just text back with a 'Afraid that won't be possible.' Respectful passive aggression is the way forward. And the massive canvas. Definitely the massive canvas. Can you get baby Christmas cards done too, and one of those hideous baubles printed with a photo of your baby? And send a canvas, card and bauble to SIL as well as MIL?

curiousgeorgie Sun 11-Nov-12 18:13:27

Personally, I prefer natural pictures of my DD... But it wasn't for her or us, it was for DH & BIL parents as they'd asked for it...

fluffyraggies Sun 11-Nov-12 18:14:59

Has she got other children, from a previous relationship, as well a the new baby OP? Sorry if you've said already and i've missed it.

curiousgeorgie Sun 11-Nov-12 18:14:59

TheProvincialLady - I'm thinking I can even get stamps of my DD ;)

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sun 11-Nov-12 18:15:27

I don't understand the bile from some of you, TBH. she's allowed to say she doesn't want to. That's called assertiveness. Just do your own picture and feel good about it.

curiousgeorgie Sun 11-Nov-12 18:15:39

Fluffy - no she hasn't, this is her & BIL's first child.

puds11 Sun 11-Nov-12 18:15:53

Ooooh i really want to know why <shamelessly nosey>

curiousgeorgie Sun 11-Nov-12 18:16:39

Jamie - but the grandparents have lots of pics of DD... They asked specifically for a canvas of both children. It was their idea.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sun 11-Nov-12 18:17:24

It's her choice if she doesn't want to, even if PILs would like it, sorry but YABU

Just do your own

StuntGirl Sun 11-Nov-12 18:17:44

As a joke just text back and say "no problem, I'll get my DC photographed and I'll just draw yours in"

grin Brilliant.

fluffyraggies Sun 11-Nov-12 18:18:06

Hmmm. I find it a bit odd then. 'Specially if you all get on well. Could it be that it's because the baby is so young? (grasping a straws a bit here smile)

Trying to think of a reason she could could have that she'd find hard to be honest about ....

It's a bit strange that she hasn't said why she doesn't want to do it but it is her choice. I don't think I'd be able to leave it though but that's because I'm a nosy cow who can't leave well alone

NatashaBee Sun 11-Nov-12 18:20:08

A bit weird - does she think you're expecting her to be in the picture and doesn't really like to be in front of the camera? Or does she not like your DH fr some reason and doesn't like the idea of him having pics of her child on his computer? Strange.

Casmama Sun 11-Nov-12 18:21:48

I would forget texting and ask her gently when you see her. Dishes does have the right to say no though.

wigglesrock Sun 11-Nov-12 18:22:07

Maybe she just doesn't like them - I don't [shrug] My mum parents have time and time again asked for a family photo to be done professionally of all of us. And I have said no for the past seven years, I don't really mind if she wants one of the kids but I don't want to be in it. So perhaps she really dislikes them and I always wondered do you replace them if there's more children or get another one done?.

TheBigJessie Sun 11-Nov-12 18:23:34

Maybe she's converting to a religious denomination that prohibits images.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now