Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not even bother trying to provide any healthy options?

(35 Posts)
Agent64 Thu 08-Nov-12 22:17:18

DDs birthday party tomorrow. It's quite a small affair, just a bunch of friends coming round after school for food and games, age 12-13. Pizza, garlic bread, spring rolls and a heap of crap maize based snacks have been requested and will be provided, along with shock fizzy drinks and lurid OTT cupcake tower.

Cupcake tower will be homemade. Everything else has been bought in and will either go from freezer to oven or will be opened and poured into a bowl.

My question is this - is there any point at all in providing grapes/carrot sticks/cherry toms/anything remotely healthy or should I just give it up as a lost cause and send them all home hyper?

Jins Fri 09-Nov-12 09:43:44

shock

Carrot sticks, grapes, cherry tomatoes?

12-13 years?

shock

Beamur Fri 09-Nov-12 12:43:47

I also put out school bars, boxes of raisins and satsumas with the sweets on offer for Halloween and they were hoovered up. At the party earlier that evening I had to make extra carrot sticks because they'd all been eaten and the kids were clamouring for more!
My teenage DSS has been known to buy himself grapes as a snack....
It's not that weird really.

Everlong Fri 09-Nov-12 12:46:36

I've been to a lot of parties in my life.

I've seen the grape/carrot/peppers thing and thought wtf but they always get eaten.

So yes I would put them out.

You can always give them the guinea pigs if they don't get eaten.

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 09-Nov-12 12:53:14

I agree re carrots, cucumber and toms, IME they do usually get eaten. Although I normally do hoummous as well, so not exactly low fat. If you're in doubt, I'd say so they above cheapy veg, but leave off on the grapes, as they're quite expensive! they way you've not wasted too much money if not eaten?

Everlong Fri 09-Nov-12 12:54:14

Yes indeed. Meant to type hummus but forgot.

pigletmania Fri 09-Nov-12 12:55:33

It's a teenage party don't bother

BrainSurgeon Fri 09-Nov-12 13:28:36

I would put on the table whatever fruit you normally have in the house, if they get eaten fine, if not - no loss.

<naive mum of a 4 yo>

socharlotte Fri 09-Nov-12 13:36:31

I did a party tea for boys aged 12-14 a few years back-similar menu and a few salady things like you mention.Also had meringue and strawberries and cream for desert.
They were like a swarm of locusts and they ate everything.Absolutely every crumb including garnishes on the plates!!

Agent64 Fri 09-Nov-12 20:23:24

It's over. The grapes went down a storm - as did everything else grin.

I'm giving myself a wine.

You can always give them the guinea pigs if they don't get eaten

shock guinea pigs are pets, not food!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now