To hate it when people say Pacific when they mean specific?

(72 Posts)
showtunesgirl Thu 08-Nov-12 15:56:08

Eg "what I mean in pacific" and "what do you mean pacifically"?

No, no, no!

Mrsjay Thu 08-Nov-12 18:56:14

I once said sceptic tank when I meant septic obviously grin I do hate when people type Draw meaning drawer you cannot put your knickers in a draw

Feminine Thu 08-Nov-12 18:57:13

Also I am not fond of pitchers on the wall.

Bilbobagginstummy Thu 08-Nov-12 19:02:37

"arghhh I am with you here, I used to work with a woman who said it... a lot... made my teeth itch."

^ this.

Only that one person, I haven't encountered it since but it was SOOOOOOOO annoying I just wanted to bang her head into a dictionary open at SPECIFIC. I never did, though.

Mrsjay Thu 08-Nov-12 19:07:11

Also I am not fond of pitchers on the wall.

OH pictures that took me a while I was thinking why would people have beer jugs on their walls hmm

Feminine Thu 08-Nov-12 19:08:40

mrsjay grin

BoakFace Thu 08-Nov-12 19:09:53

I knew someone on here would say that it's probably because they have a problem, not because they're ignorant.

I think it's ignorance!

Bicnod Thu 08-Nov-12 19:15:13

Yes, very annoying. Not as annoying as my DM who says vocadbury instead of vocabulary. Aaaaargh.

Dawndonna Thu 08-Nov-12 19:18:36

I tend to say things like Atlantically speaking......

They look at me as if I'm the mad one!

Really, really gets on my nerves.

Grockle Thu 08-Nov-12 19:18:37

Oh, this makes me very cross. It just makes the person sound stupid. I did some training recently, run by the local authority literacy advisor and focussing pacifically on phonics shock

If the person in charge of the quality of teaching of literacy in all primary schools in the borough can't speak properly, what hope is there?

wigglesrock Thu 08-Nov-12 19:19:27

My Dad says that - doesn't bother me in the slightest, I think quite fondly of people who muddle it up. My sister can't say Executive, I can't describe how she says it wrong but she just does grin

People pronounce words in different ways all the time (although I know these are actually two different words) - really doesn't annoy me, except when my husband says lorry - he rhymes it with slurry not sorry.

IneedAgoldenNickname Thu 08-Nov-12 19:31:57

Drives me mad too!
And my ex used to counselled instead of canceled, eg I went into the bank and counselled that payment angry no you didn't, you CANCELED it you fucking idiot!

<and breathe>

Iheardthatpardon Thu 08-Nov-12 19:58:54

don't get me started!
discusting instead of disgusting
loose instead of lose
brought instead of bought!

and
lend instead of borrow!

Iheardthatpardon Thu 08-Nov-12 20:00:28

and one I came across today:
change name by depoll!!
WTF

Iheardthatpardon Thu 08-Nov-12 20:04:15

and just now read: pain is not subsidizing!
<slaps forehead and pulls duvet over head>

Gooseysgirl Thu 08-Nov-12 20:06:22

YANBU.... The one that annoys me most is AKS instead of ASK!

mum11970 Thu 08-Nov-12 20:16:23

Hospical, instead of hospital, makes me squirm. Along with brought instead if bought.

Ephiny Thu 08-Nov-12 21:31:47

I thought it was more that people had difficulty pronouncing it, rather than thinking the word was actually Pacific.

If they're actually writing it down wrong as well though...

cardibach Thu 08-Nov-12 21:38:19

I havea friend who say 'supposably' instead of 'supposedly' . Drives me nuts.

snooter Thu 08-Nov-12 21:44:31

I hate random 'h's in words like Stupid (SHTUPID) & Strong (SHTRONG) & the way hardly anyone can pronounce HUGE any more (SHOOGE)

kim147 Thu 08-Nov-12 21:46:24

Sophia instead of sphere.

And parallelogram and isoscoles get some very strange pronunciations when children try to say what a shape is.

EugenesAxe Thu 08-Nov-12 21:49:42

My Dad calls it the Specific Ocean, so irritated he is by this.
He other bugbear is 'address the balance'.

Arrgh! Supposably is the fucking pits - I've heard that and quivered before too.

YANBU!

EugenesAxe Thu 08-Nov-12 21:50:53

His, not he hmm

servingwench Thu 08-Nov-12 22:26:31

My old boss used to do it...he was a wally though. I also get very annoyed by people who don't know which too/to/two to use and write your instead of you're. Little things!

BooksandaCuppa Thu 08-Nov-12 22:38:49

I hate 'pacific' for 'specific' and 'brought' for 'bought'. But the funniest moment almost of my entire life was when a midwife told that a TENS machine was called that because the dial went up to ten...........!!!! Wt????

cumfy Thu 08-Nov-12 23:55:11

I think it's insiduous.angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now