To hate it when people say Pacific when they mean specific?

(72 Posts)
showtunesgirl Thu 08-Nov-12 15:56:08

Eg "what I mean in pacific" and "what do you mean pacifically"?

No, no, no!

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Thu 08-Nov-12 15:57:52

I have never noticed anyone doing this. If I had, I would assume it would be because they had some kind of problem with words, not that they had done it through ignorance.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Thu 08-Nov-12 15:58:44

arghhh I am with you here, I used to work with a woman who said it... a lot... made my teeth itch.

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Thu 08-Nov-12 15:59:06

Do u know ... This nearly caused me to wet met myself at DS parents evening. His nursery regularly pull him on his speech his numbers etc yet there in the black and white on the feed back form was "X can struggle with following instruction, pacifically" i didnt know whether to despair or laugh... I was like yes oceanic-ally speaking he struggles with... His key worker didnt geddit! grin

JurassicFart Thu 08-Nov-12 16:01:01

The only time I've noticed this was when my dear friend sent me his CV to look over and I discovered he had written 'pacific experience' quite a number of times and Word had capitalised the 'p' each time.

PerryCombover Thu 08-Nov-12 16:01:27

Start saying the Specific Ocean...cheers all the Pedantry right out of you for a moment

Icelollycraving Thu 08-Nov-12 16:07:14

God I bloody hate it. One exception though,anatomicals shower gel called let's be pacific.

YANBU! I hate it, makes my teeth itch...

YDdraigGoch Thu 08-Nov-12 17:17:02

Me too. Have these people never come across the word specific? Or do they think everyone else is wrong?
While we're on the subject, what about people who confuse there, their and they're. It's really not that difficult!

Fakebook Thu 08-Nov-12 17:32:45

Ugh. An ex work colleague used to say this. He also used to eat with his mouth open and tear at his food like a dog instead of biting it. Bad memories.

MulledWineOnTheBusLady Thu 08-Nov-12 17:53:29

I have come across several (unconnected) people, generally intelligent with good vocabularies and no noticeable problem with "sp" sounds, who do this. It is most, most odd.

MulledWineOnTheBusLady Thu 08-Nov-12 17:54:05

Lol at the Specific Ocean.

omletta Thu 08-Nov-12 17:55:32

I hate it, hate it, hate it.

I'm afraid I often correct people who use it blush which is bloody rude of me.

toofattorun Thu 08-Nov-12 17:56:52

I don't know what you mean, OP.

Would you mind being more Pacific?

BlissfullyIgnorant Thu 08-Nov-12 18:02:43

Perrycombover - thanks...just let out a little bit of wee grin

CookingFunt Thu 08-Nov-12 18:03:51

OP do you work with me? I have had this conversation with a workmate today. My boss wont go into Pacific's.

do people really say this? Hahahaha!

SamSmalaidh Thu 08-Nov-12 18:09:34

Worse is people who say BROUGHT when they mean BOUGHT. Why???

Itsaboatjack Thu 08-Nov-12 18:13:19

YADBU

This drives me crazy.

HappyGirlNow Thu 08-Nov-12 18:17:05

Oh god I'm so with you on this! It's bloody SPECIFIC!!! angry

laurenamium Thu 08-Nov-12 18:43:24

YANBU! Drives me mad!

CaptainVonTrapp Thu 08-Nov-12 18:49:47

Almost as bad as 'newkiller' for 'nuclear'.

DisappointedHorse Thu 08-Nov-12 18:50:04

I've only ever met one person who said this, I really wish I'd had the nerve to say something because it drove me crazy but she was senior to me.

It's not as irritating as loose weight though. It's LOSE people! It's a 4 letter word, how hard can it be?

shockers Thu 08-Nov-12 18:52:23

Someone said 'pacific' to me earlier today!

Feminine Thu 08-Nov-12 18:55:58

I HATE IT!

My step-Mother does it.

What makes me laugh is that my Dad will correct mymistakes hmm
and leave this crap spewing from her mouth unmentioned!

She told my DD " You can't always sit in that chair, we don't have Pacific seats in this house" grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now