to be bored with myself and to want to become a Jilly Cooper character for the winter?

(745 Posts)
BalloonSlayer Wed 13-Oct-10 12:32:43

I want to sit in front of a fire of apple logs, wearing only a Dark Blue towel.

I want a rosy-cheeked face which I have to tone down with green foundation, instead of looking like a corpse unless I put on loads of blusher.

I want to drink three quarters of a bottle of Moet before doing ANYTHING. (Including: getting up in the morning or taking an important exam.)

I want an Absolutely Filthy Mini instead of a people carrier.

I want DH to do thumb exercises so that the ball of his thumb becomes pudgy because apparently that's sexy or something hmm.

I want to lose loads and loads of weight every time I am a bit sad about something, so that everyone who thought I was a minger before is suddenly struck by my beauty, instead of eating cakes to cheer myself up and getting fatter.

AIBU?

MintyChops Thu 19-Sep-13 22:46:12

I am Eleanor Foster Waverley but you may call me Lady Eleanor...... (thrilled!!!). Must go, need to dig out my ancient taffeta ball gown and slightly motheaten cashmere before doing some gardening and listening to some opera. I am Monica Baddingham's twin and a jolly good egg/ brick....

SuperiorCat Thu 19-Sep-13 11:44:15

Just having a quick 5 mins and cuppa break from work so came here to be cheered up on this dreary day. The only time drizzly days like today seem to feature in JC usually involve either hunting or a woefully under-dressed heroine whose clothes get wet and nipples poke out resulting in her being mobbed by handsome men come to her rescue.

Sadly DH popping in for his lunch is as exciting as my day will get.

My JC name is Philomena West-StJohn - now there is a boot-faced middle aged frump if ever I heard of one <<typecast>>

Engelsemama Wed 18-Sep-13 17:50:30

Hmm..where did that extra thread come from?

Engelsemama Wed 18-Sep-13 17:41:49

I re-read Jilly every year (except Jump which I thought was crushingly boring).

Lovely thread...off to read through thread.

TheCountessOlenska Wed 18-Sep-13 17:24:06

My absolute FAVOURITE THREAD EVER grin Yay! Going back to read from the beginning..

LadyClariceCannockMonty Wed 18-Sep-13 15:42:03

Thanks, colour! How did you know about the Argentinian? grin

boschy, I like yours. You definitely have an air of Euro-glamour about you. There are definitely crumbling old castles in middle Europe in your family.

BogStandardOldWoman Wed 18-Sep-13 13:47:40

Boschy that is priceless!

boschy Wed 18-Sep-13 13:32:31

OMG, I am Mary Tartane-Sarsfeld! I think I might have a touch of the European jetset in me, but not enough to counteract the fact that I am actually rather plump and wear glasses. However I do love animals which is my redeeming feature.

boschy Wed 18-Sep-13 13:30:36

oh god I must dig out my JC books! pre Riders and Rivals - Harriet, Octavia et al... all downtrodden plain girls who turn into the belle of the ball and get their prince. Jump was a bit shite though.

my Cooper claim to fame: my Dad knew Leo in London donkeys years ago, and I inherited their children's baby gerbils. and Jilly came to a big 'do' I was organising (early 80s) and got merrily pissed. when most of the guests had gone, we were taking the flowers off the tables and dividing them up between the hotel staff and our team. she swept up to one of the girls, took one look at the bouquet in her arms, and said "oh! are those for me? how DARLING" and off she went...!

colourmehappytheresasofainhere Wed 18-Sep-13 13:18:14

And you may well be having a roaring affaire with an Argentinean ringer in possession of 8 inches of angry gristle, you lucky thing you

colourmehappytheresasofainhere Wed 18-Sep-13 13:16:11

Lady, definitely the first way round. You sound like the wife of a Scottish laird who owns a polo team on account of his thriving empire founded on rolled oats.

colourmehappytheresasofainhere Wed 18-Sep-13 13:09:41

My jc character, Stephanie, would be a minor character in the riders era, possibly an ex deb who never bagged an aristocratic husband on account of her bulky frame and squint. She probably popped up at dinner parties and needed a spare man to partner her, while wearing a hideous shade of taffeta, and getting food stuck between her teeth while talking too much about things which utterly bored the young bloods, putting the ravishing heroine in a wonderful light. Her main function really. Jc may have married her off to a similarly unattractive toff if the character was likable enough by the end. Oh the indignity!

colourmehappytheresasofainhere Wed 18-Sep-13 12:58:42

P.s. Stephanie Woburn-Brent at your service

colourmehappytheresasofainhere Wed 18-Sep-13 12:56:16

I will be mostly wearing the crimson outfit taggie wore to be whisked away on honeymoon in Ruperts helicopter... Sigh

charleslingus Wed 18-Sep-13 10:45:30

I don't need to make up my jc name, I share a name with one of her book titles and I'm double barrelled (after marrying dh with a reception at his ancestral pile no less)

Takes. a. bow.

Now to work on the 'treasure', more substantial bank balance and filling the place up with whippets and greyhounds.

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Wed 18-Sep-13 09:59:37

I recently re-read Polo, and then Riders, am halfway through Rivals and just got Jump out from the library. Love a bit of JC with a cup of tea and a biscuit (or 10).

FunnyRunner Wed 18-Sep-13 09:57:37

Rivals was my hide from the world book when I was at Uni and just after. Always made the world seem a better place smile

Medal Wed 18-Sep-13 09:44:44

Great thread! Reading THMWMHJ at the moment and I want to see what all the fuss is about Lysander and his bedroom skills smile. I love the way even the most unattractive sounding characters are committing passionate adultery.

CambridgeBlue Wed 18-Sep-13 09:41:22

That should have said second fiddle obviously.

Now I come to think about it I did have velvet knickerbockers (also from 'the catalogue'!) when I was about 8. Think they were maroon and I had a nice ruffly pirate blouse to wear with them <stylish>.

I'm wearing a low backed blue taffeta dress to a wedding at the weekend and when it gets cold in the evening I fancy putting a man's cashmere sweater over the top like Perdita does when she and Red do a runner after her impromtu strip show.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Wed 18-Sep-13 09:28:15

Thank you, colour!

Mine's Mary Cannock-Mortimer (or Mary Mortimer-Cannock; which sounds better?)

PrimalLass Wed 18-Sep-13 09:24:49

Did no-one else wear velvet knickerbockers as an 80s child? Mine were navy and came from 'the catalogue'. I may have had a matching waistcoat.

BogStandardOldWoman Wed 18-Sep-13 09:15:18

What's everyone wearing for this winter in JC land?

CambridgeBlue Wed 18-Sep-13 07:22:16

Brilliant 80s hair photos!

Agree with others who've said Riders, Rivals and Polo are the best. TMWMHJ was OK but they really went downhill after that. I cant even bring myself to finish Jump because the cliches and characters you don't care about get too much after the first few pages.

One of the things I like best about R/R/P and also the girls name books and the earlier ones like The Common Years, is the descriptions of where they're set - the way she writes about the Cotswolds and London is so evocotive and accurate. This is one of the things that makes JC books so much more than chick lit IMO.

She also describes the 70s and 80s really well - maybe this is why the later books are crap not as good, they don't fit into the 90s and beyond very well. It does make me laugh how she tries to make them 'of the minute' by mentioning brand names throughout - everyone gets baskets from the Body Shop and t-shirts from Miss Selfridge in TMWMHJ!

I have always wished a man would call me 'angel' but if DH did I would probably laugh and although I'd like to be Taggie I think I'm more like Daisy - arty, always a few lb overweight, lush like a drink (have never worn velvet knickerbockers though or taken part in an orgy!) or Maud - sits around gossiping and drinking instead of doing anything useful (but I'm not playing second idle to a glamorous writer husband unfortunately).

Off to sit in front of a fire of apple logs, drink whiskey out of a teacup and wish I was the horsy type, it seems to be key to having a JC life smile

BalloonSlayer Wed 18-Sep-13 06:48:59

I think in the 80s the popularity of "big hair" meant many women had a cloud of it.

BalloonSlayer Wed 18-Sep-13 06:46:06

Aconleigh I keep reading your post as "and a massive bush" but I don't think I would if this were not a Jilly thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now