Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is this an allergic reaction??

(31 Posts)
karensb Fri 01-Feb-13 19:00:49

I have suspected ds, 9mths, has a lentil allergy as he always gets severe congestion a few days after eating red lentils.

He has appt at allergy clinic next week so just wanted to recheck.

So he had lentil stew yesterday which he ate well but was bit grumpy all day.

Tried to give it to him again at lunch but he refused and only had about 5 spoonfuls.

2 hours later he had explosive diarrhea.

5 hours later fed him bland tea of mashed potato and sweet potato and he vomited it all up violently.

Have put him to bed with no bottle as think his tummy must be cramping as grumpy.

The thing is my dd has cmpa and always vomited straight after then had diarrhea.

Can you have a delayed reaction like this? After all I only expected congestion and if the vomiting had been an allergic reaction shouldn't it have happened yesterday afternoon after he first ate it?

I know the hospital can help me next week but interested in what people think.

JollyRedGiant Tue 05-Feb-13 19:29:08

You surely need to speak to medical professionals again and follow their advice rather than the advice of people on the internet.

karensb Tue 05-Feb-13 19:32:47

I'm not stupid...of course as a I said I am going to doctors again , but sometimes other people's experiences can be very useful and can learn a lot.

I took my dd to doctors every week till she was 5 months old as thought she had a cmpa but the doctor came up with different diagnosis every time. Was finally diagnosed after I insisted on a referral.

Would not have known about cmpa as first time mum without the Internet.

So disagree with you and think that we can learn a lot from each other.. Doesn't mean I won't be seeing doctors too but that process takes time and I want to do anything to help him I can in the meantime.

OHforDUCKScake Tue 05-Feb-13 21:48:31

Wtf Jolly?

You could put that on every thread on here.

And you posted that below a thread which said she'd just come back from he doctor?

This whole thread seems odd to me. hmm

OHforDUCKScake Tue 05-Feb-13 21:54:33

Ok OP I see where I was confused now, you said your DD has cmpa. I thought you were talking about one child!

Unfortunately allergies can develop anytime and particularly after a stomach bug like you said. Was the bread wheat? Was the margerine soya?

JollyRedGiant Wed 06-Feb-13 14:27:41

I was going on the fact that the doctor offered an allergy test in 2 months, while the op was describing the child as 'quiet, lethargic and having trouble swallowing'. If my child was having those symptoms I'd be thinking about getting him checked out more urgently than in 2 months. I understand the op was going to take her DS back to the doctor to get a different type of milk, but surely there's a risk of dehydration in the situation described and the boy is developing more worrying symptoms rather than improving.

janey223 Sat 09-Feb-13 00:52:09

Ds has delayed reactions to milk, soy and nuts, oral allergy syndrome with pineapple and kiwi and another delayed I haven't been able to work out.

Trying to work out what they're reacting to is a pain as I don't always take grumpy baby as a reaction or bad sleep unless he's really bad or having nightmares but even those aren't always the same day and his skin doesn't break out right away. It's so hard to tell if its cross or something new.

Hope he takes to the pepti ok x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now