Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Surprise dairy & egg free finds - join me in making a list?

(265 Posts)
abigboydidit Tue 28-Aug-12 12:56:30

Hi -

I'm new to the whole allergy thing (DS is 15 months old & allergic to milk & eggs). As he's getting older I'm starting to appreciate how limiting it is and how lovely it is when he can have an off-the-shelf item that everyone else is having. So, I thought I would start a thread where we could list surprise finds we've came across (or in my case, that MN have pointed me towards!).

My (very short) list:
- shop bought puff pastry (read this in a thread the other day. A revelation! And just in time for my nephew's birthday party!)
- jammie dodgers (ditto!)
- Nairns Dark Choc Chip biscuits (made in factory handling milk)
- Sacla tomato & garlic stir in sauce
- Sacla Char-Grilled Aubergine Pesto
- Cauldron aduki bean kiev (salty though!)

Anyone like to share their finds?

Maz007 Mon 11-Feb-13 21:04:08

Thanks for bringing up this issue mademred.

I am not sure that is exactly right. Lecithin is a substance that can be found in a range of things, including egg, but it is not part of an egg. Often it comes from other sources.

As I understand it, though I am sure others will be more knowledgeable than me on legal matters, egg has to be declared on the ingredient list, so is it right that unless egg is listed the source of the lecithin must be something else?

mademred Tue 12-Feb-13 11:27:39

I have been allergic for ten years now and had to do extensive research on all this because my throat closes over when I eat the offending foods.yes im sure by law they have to tell you wats on their products, but then I've never seen horse listed on any burger pack ?? Lol.same with wines that use eggs and fish for purity.the only brand I have found is coop Fairtrade who list ingredients and also state whether its ok for veggies and vegans.

OHforDUCKScake Tue 12-Feb-13 20:23:10

Medemerd foxes rings contain soya lecithin. No eggs in them.

emmaspeers Fri 15-Feb-13 11:10:02

WOW! I have just found this thread whilst looking around at dairy free products... are there any other threads re food allergies (so far milk / dairy but just started the rollercoaster of identifying problems after 2 yrs of horrific sickness and breathing problems with my 2 y old, diagnosed with chronic asthma and croup, only to find 2yrs later we are advised to cut milk out to see if any difference and I have only used my daughters inhalers once in 2 wks, and also shes only been sick once in 3 wks, after cutting out dairy, was usually most nights / days).

And so we have so far seen a diff with removing milk protein from the diet, but was finding it a nightmare finding snacks without milk in, and other foods. I saw this thread, and what a relief - the free from products have been costing me a bomb! Last wk at a friends I was relieved when all the kids were eating biccies to discover that Jammie dodgers choco ones are milk free! The toffee ones however arent but still....

She likes the alpro yoghurts and alpro choc desserts. And sainburys so milk choc buttons in free from range for 49p a small pack. So I get the other kids cheap ones, and give her milk free in a bowl and she doesnt know the difference.

We have jst started my son on milk free ass he hass terrible mood swings and i recently read it can be down to allergies (we noticed after 3 days at his nans no bottles of milk and dead calm, coming home and very moody ad aggressive after a bottle of milk so will see...although at 4 he realises the difference and says soya is disgusting lol).

My daughter is loving nibbling on green beans, I hadnt realised she liked them before.

And sainsburys also do in their free from range cakes, we bought her guger slices and lemon slices which she loves and on offer 2 for £3 atm so not too bad.

Smartprice chicken noodles are milk free too i believe :/ Now questioning myself but I know i checked and bought them so am thinking they r off top of my head!

Thanks for bday cake advice, now gunna have to see if i can find a boys one, he likes but not moshi, then my daughter can have a slice! Hmm!

When cutting out dairy what do i need to cut out - milk protein, whey and anything else? Yes to see dietician, after 4 wks of her being milk free I will be referred if it is making a difference, which it is.

Many thanks - hope someone can point me in the direction of a thread which can answer all my Q's x

AllergyAlley Mon 18-Feb-13 15:29:03

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip off about Lotus biscuit spread, it is just gorgeous. I had to wait until I was somewhere near a Waitrose to pick some up but DD just LOVES it.

Today I have bought another 2 jars in B&M Stores, I think they were only £1.49 each, I was very happy to stock up especially as I won't be going near another waitrose for a while. If anyone wanted to know the ingredients they are:

Original biscuits 57% [wheat flour, sugar, veg oil and fat, candy sugar syrup, raising agent (sodium hydrogen carbonate), soya flour,salt, cinnamon], rapeseed oil, sugar, emulsifier (lecithin), acid (citric acid)

OHforDUCKScake Mon 18-Feb-13 15:34:43

Pleeeeeeease can someone answer me. Where in Waitrose is Lotus spread?

AllergyAlley Mon 18-Feb-13 15:52:06

In the Waitrose I was in it was bottom most shelf, underneath peanut butter and jams.

I didn't realise it was new, this is dated Nov 2012 www.waitrose.presscentre.com/Press-Releases/A-Cut-Above-The-New-Lotus-Caramelised-Biscuit-Spread-aa0.aspx

nickelbabe Mon 18-Feb-13 15:54:27

I was looking on Pinterest and was accidentally linked to
accidentally vegan list from PETA.

I don't know if this is a US or British list, but it's worth checking out smile

nickelbabe Mon 18-Feb-13 15:56:38

asda do a really nice dark chocolate spread. alpro chocolate soya milk in lovely, and choccy dodgers - only the normal size ones though

tesco do quite a few different dairy free deserts including one you drink with a straw which is really small and the right size for small children. it's in the fridge section.

I was amazed a few weeks ago when I found milk powder listed as one if the ingredients in Aldi tomato ketchupshock

Samandtheboys Mon 18-Feb-13 22:04:38

Hi my son is almost 14 and he is severely allergic to egg and milk as well as some others! My advice is to check every label even if it seems ridiculous, milk especially, turns up everywhere! Dont know if already been mentioned but have you heard of Plamil and kinnerton? Plamil do egg free mayo, dairy free chocolate spread and you can buy choc chips for baking and choccy bars. Kinnerton also do dairy free choc, Easter eggs available in shops and Christmas advent calendars. You can order plamil items from your local holland and barratt or order off there website! Also goodness direct is a good website to visit for products. I tend to bake alot myself as in the past ive brought biccies for my son that have always been ok only to find after he had taken a bite that they had changed the recipe, not good and a very poorly boy he was! sad Hence always check the labels even if you buy it every week! Sam

OHforDUCKScake Mon 18-Feb-13 22:45:24

Thanks AllergyAlley!

shanelle5 Thu 06-Jun-13 21:03:22

Just wanted to bump this thread as my 6 month old is dairy and egg free due to intolerance to the first and severe allergy to the latter : (

I have found this thread SO invaluable so thankyou to all who contributed. I dont have many other new finds to add, except I LOVE Aldi as they do a fruit cake called "Bara Bryth" which ticks all my boxes - Dairy/egg free, really low fat AND very cheap! I literally eat 2-3 of these a week : ) I used to buy Banans soreen for my cake type treat but at £1.20 roughly they are now relegated for the Bara Bryth which is literally pence! Aldi also have tinned spahetti which is egg and dairy free plus garlic loaf and hot cross buns which I also eat a lot of. All there stuff is so cheap I love it! These are the only things I have discovered which are not mentioned so far on this thread, anyone else got any new finds since February? x

gretagrape Tue 11-Jun-13 17:54:25

fig rolls - mmmmmm!

shanelle5 Sat 15-Jun-13 20:38:31

gretagrape - really? Oh my gosh I LOVE fig rolls! Thankyou grin

Passmethecrisps Wed 19-Jun-13 10:21:53

Shameless bump!

Was just about to start my own thread. I have a 7 month old with dairy intolerance and egg allergy. Weaning is desperately slow as she point blank refuses purée. HV has been singularly unhelpful sadly.

I will print this and add anything I come up with

izzybizzybuzzybees Wed 19-Jun-13 22:32:55

Great thread find pass! I didn't realise P was egg allergic too!

TheDetective Wed 19-Jun-13 23:12:34

Shanelle Get thee back to the Nov 12 thread! There are at least, what 8-9 of us dealing with the same issues!

Mine is CMPI (as well as bastarding reflux!).

Stacks Sat 29-Jun-13 12:47:31

Awesome thread. My 6m DS has had a mild reaction to both dairy and eggs (I think, it was a reaction to mayo). He's not eating much yet but I'm already surprised how limiting it is when eating out.

motherhood Sat 27-Jul-13 23:33:14

Hi not sure if anyones still interested or if these are mentioned already, managed to get these recently that's egg/dairy/nut free.

Iceland dough balls with garlic and herb.
Co-op jam/custard doughnuts.
Tesco marshmallow kubes (rice crispy treats).
Heinz spaghetti but not the hoops.
Smash instant mash potato (great for hols).

cupcakes51 Mon 05-Aug-13 22:48:14

well done to the op who started this!!

marks and spencer do a pdf list of all hidden free from products not containing milk as well as others and multiple allergies (updated monthly)

http://health.marksandspencer.com/your-diet-needs/allergies-and-intolerances/how-we-can-help

hope this helps!!

xx

cupcakes51 Mon 05-Aug-13 22:53:30

m and s coldslaw is dairy free

cupcakes51 Mon 05-Aug-13 22:53:56

sorry coldslaw is milk free

StiffGandT Wed 07-Aug-13 16:46:58

Brilliant thread - my 5 yr old was recently diagnosed as dairy intolerant so this is really helpful smile

harverina Sun 11-Aug-13 11:27:26

Cupcakes that's fab, thanks so much for that link. Going to have a look now and see if there is anything we can buy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now