Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I need a kickass egg/dairy-free birthday cake recipe... can't have another vegan cake failure, please help!

(30 Posts)
eskimomama Mon 19-Sep-11 16:21:51

Hello

My DD is turning 2 in a couple weeks and I'm going to make a birthday cake that she can eat - so it has to be dairy/egg/almond/hazelnut free...

I've spent the last few months throwing away cakes that didn't work out - vegan cakes can be awfully oily, flat and well, inedible after 2 bites...(sorry don't want to offend any vegan here).

I would be very grateful for a really good recipes that will please both DD and her granddad! wink

Thanks in advance

coral Sat 24-Sep-11 16:16:48

sorry "by" not "buy"

also, they just use conventional ingredients - nothing fancy or weird that you have to hunt high or low for and, no vinegar, which I always find leaves a funny after taste in your mouth

mamado Sat 24-Sep-11 17:25:32

pig in the kitchen is great (although doesn't beat the other recipes in my opinion!) and try the gluttonous vegan - her cinnamon buns are gorgeous

londonmum123 Sat 24-Sep-11 19:49:34

I second coral - the cookbook is ace and all the cakes I've made from it have turned out well (lots of whisking is the key). Have served them up at family events and no one realised they were dairy/egg free and asked for the recipe. Well worth the money

eskimomama Wed 28-Sep-11 16:03:51

awww thanks SO MUCH chocamom and mamado for the Giorgio Locatelli cake!
I love him (even his 8 hour recipes ;-)), I didn't know his daughter was allergic to egg, jeez, I bet it meant goodbye to his egg-rich pasta at home huh :-)

Also thanks Coral for the book suggestion. Wow it looks like it was invented for me.

I found a lovely brownie recipe on the Gwyneth Paltrow cookbook so I'll give it a go... I'd like something chocolatey because DD loves chocolate things...

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now