Can you please recommend an interesting biography?

(39 Posts)
WetAugust Sat 10-May-14 00:07:58

Preferably an autobiography.

I've recently read Andre Agassi -Open, Joanna Lumley's, Rupert Everett's, Duncan Bannantyne's and Alan Sugar's (which is the best and most candid I have ever read).

Am very open minded, so could be anybody's.

Thank you

skyeskyeskye Thu 21-Aug-14 00:44:56

Currently reading One Unknown by Gill Hicks, a survivor of the 7/7 tube bombings. It's an inspirational, touching read.

callipygian00 Thu 21-Aug-14 00:41:36

184 Charing Cross Road or Maya Angelou's I know why the caged bird sings. The last one does chart a difficult childhood but it's not classed as one of the 'hard lives' autobiographies like Angela's ashes or child called it, probably because it was written before the wave of 'misery' autob's came out, it's so well written and it's just generally more inspiring.

Trooperslane Mon 21-Jul-14 14:43:43

Stephen Fry
David Niven

Pp has just reminded me I want to read Trumpers one.

HappydaysArehere Mon 21-Jul-14 14:40:45

This Boy by Alan Johnson. Loved this fascinating childhood of politician Alan Johnson. I lived through this period and knew many places and events of the time. It is a true reflection of the times told with great humour and self deprecation. Politics not mentioned, just a memorial to the courage of brave women who sustained the young Alan and provided him with the building blocks to climb to a cabinet position in the
Labour Government. Don't be put off by the prospect of a political angle. This is a story of ordinary humanity.

carben Sun 20-Jul-14 22:42:57

When did you last see your father? Blake Morrison.

DoctorTwo Sun 20-Jul-14 17:16:33

Hitch-22 and the devastatingly beautiful Mortality, both by Christopher Hitchens.

Deathraystare Sun 20-Jul-14 16:39:19

Clothes Clothes Clothes Music Music Music Boys Boys Boys by Viv Albertine.

For those who don't know - Viv was the guitarist in the punk band The Slits an all female band and very influential. I guess you have to have an interest in punk at least but even if only mildly curious.... Mick Jones of the Clash (they were an item at one point) comes across as a thoroughly nice chap and was very supportive of her when she decided to play guitar - "Yeah, I 've got a girlfriend who plays guitar!!". At times it is very sweet and funny but on occasion sad, too. She describes her romances, friendships with Sid Viscious and Johnny Rotten etc and tells of her time buying clothes from Sex (Vivienne Westwood's shop), ill health, marriage and motherhood. And of course the music!

piratecat Sun 20-Jul-14 14:56:26

Stuart a life backwards is great film.

it is true story. the book would be good.

piratecat Sun 20-Jul-14 14:52:31

years ago i bought Daniel day Lewis biography at an airport and really enjoyed it.

Southeastdweller Sun 20-Jul-14 14:45:25

Bedsit Disco Queen by Tracey Thorn was the best autobio I've read for quite sometime.

PetShopGirl Tue 08-Jul-14 16:41:54

I really enjoyed Rupert Everett's Red Carpets And Other Banana Skins.

amicissimma Tue 08-Jul-14 16:31:10

Unbroken.

It's about an American, Louis Zamperini (who he?). He was a tearaway as a child, became an Olympic hero in the 1936 Berlin Olympics. Then joined the AAF in the war, was shot down, survived 47 days in a life raft, with no supplies, was taken POW by the Japanese, eventually returned home and struggled to cope with his POW experiences. It's a bit of a spoiler, but his obituary has just been in the papers.

The book is a real page-turner and I can't believe he survived to 2014.

Blueuggboots Thu 29-May-14 23:29:14

I really enjoyed Sue Johnston's book - things I couldn't tell my mother I think it's called.

SatansFurryJamHats Thu 29-May-14 23:11:55

Paul O'Grady's are absolutely fantastic

Harry Thompson's about Peter Cook is good.

Patti Smith 'just kids' beautifully written memoir about her and Robert maplethorpe in 70's New York

EduardoBarcelona Wed 28-May-14 15:35:09

Bizarrely the one by Andrea ? Kampusch about her time when she was abducted us not only interesting but very intelligent too.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 26-May-14 16:04:11

I thought the Piers Morgan one from his days as editor of The Mirror was interesting.

mrsnec Mon 26-May-14 16:00:44

I like the Steven Fry ones and Jennifer Saunders. I am a fan of a good autobiography, I've not read them yet but Harry Redknapp and Patsy Kensit are a couple I'd like to try.

CaulkheadUpNorth Mon 26-May-14 15:59:18

Dawn French is good.

Timeforabiscuit Mon 26-May-14 15:47:39

Oops sorry didn't read the bit about miserable childhoods - scratch the emin one ��

Timeforabiscuit Mon 26-May-14 15:46:23

Tracey Emins autobiography I found really eye opening, especially hailing from the same neck of the woods.

SconeRhymesWithGone Mon 26-May-14 15:45:52

Memoirs more than biography but these are really good:

This is Not About Me by Janice Galloway
What to Look for in Winter by Candia McWilliam

widdle Mon 26-May-14 15:41:20

The Stephen Fry ones are pretty good - Moab is my washpot and the Fry Chronicles

Haven't read it but heard the Jennifer Saunders one is pretty good - might have to steal that one from my mam!

ProfessorBranestawm Sat 10-May-14 14:22:23

I really enjoyed The Genius in my Basement by Alexander Masters. He also wrote Stuart: a Life Backwards which was made into a film I think.

Tis by Frank McCourt takes his story up when he goes back to America as a young man.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now