Advice on good mindfulness/positivi ty books?

(3 Posts)
Springbells Tue 03-Dec-13 07:35:56

I've had a bit of a time of it over the last couple of years, lots of change, massive stresses and upheaval. Anyway, to cut a long story very short, I've always really loved just appreciating the moment when out for a walk etc etc, and have been hearing about mindfulness recently.

I wanted to see if there is anything I can do to help myself settle and get grounded, and was wondering if anyone had an good recommendations for mindfulness/positivity books? I'm very practical and scientific (not explaining this very well, I guess not 'fluffy') so those that are quite matter of fact, practical and down to earth would be great.

Any suggestions, good or ones to avoid, much appreciated! Thanks.

MadBusLady Tue 03-Dec-13 08:39:30

Martin Seligman's Learned Optimism is great, not at all fluffy and based on his several decades' research in positive psychology. It gives a very interesting account of that research too and locates it in the history of the field. I didn't realise until I read this what a useless version of "positive psychology" has filtered down to us through magazines etc. It is slightly repetitious and I gather from Amazon reviews that most of his other books rework the same material.

Mindfulness by Mark Williams and Danny Penman is supposed to be good but I haven't started it yet, it has a Look Inside on Amazon.

Springbells Tue 03-Dec-13 20:33:19

Thank you for the pointers, sounds like just the sort of thing I'm after. Will go and have a look on Amazon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now