Mitford books

(16 Posts)

They're addictive aren't they grin my dad and I are a little obsessed

Last year I read an omnibus of four of Nancy's novels and two of her histories. I finished "The House of Mitford" by Jonathon and Catherine Guinness this week. And been rewatching the BBC adapation of Love in a Cold Climate/Pursuit of Love. What are your favourite Mitford biogs?

Spied some letters in a charity bookshop last week (well, it's been there for ages, noticed it again then) so will probs buy it in a moment of weakness when I go into the centre tomorrow.

Sophiaturner Sun 20-Jan-13 18:03:28

I like Nancy Mitford's novels. My favorite is wigs on the green. I have also read three of the biographies that she has wrote and planning to read The house of Mitford in the next month or so.

MrsKwazii Sun 20-Jan-13 18:06:49

I loved 'Letters Between Six Sisters' edited by Charlotte Moseley. Fascinating. A real doorstop of a book, but I couldn't put it down. Letter between the sisters over decades, such an amazing dialogue through changing times.

GetOrf Sun 20-Jan-13 18:10:05

I really recommend the Letters collection - it's wonderful - and The Mitfords by Mary Lovell is a rollicking good read.

Also recommend Jessica Mitford autobiog Hons and Rebels, and her letters collection Decca is brilliant.

And Deborah Devonshire's collection of letters with Paddy Leigh Fermor In Tearing Haste is great as well.

That reminds me, I want to read Nancy's letters with Evelyn Waugh.

Toomuchtea Tue 22-Jan-13 12:33:57

Also recommend Jessica Mitford's autobiog. Sad.

I thought I had Nancy's letters with Evelyn Waugh, but it's Diana Cooper. Prolific chap, EW.

hackmum Tue 22-Jan-13 18:11:31

Yes, Hons and Rebels is really good, though the first bit about her childhood was more interesting than the later stuff, I thought. She had such a tragic life, though.

Have read and enjoyed both Love in a Cold Climate and Pursuit of Love, also one other whose name I can't remember! All v funny. Would love to read the letters, have meant to for a long time, just haven't got round to it.

Ordered Hons and Rebels at the weekend (very bad...buying online! such weak resolve) grin

That reminds me, I want to read Nancy's letters with Evelyn Waugh came across that the other day....was £5 though so bit pricey for a 2nd hand shop

Cheers for all the recommendations as well!

Mary lovell's "the mitford girls" is a good biography of the family too

elkiedee Wed 06-Feb-13 00:29:26

Another who can't resist Mitford books - I really want to buy the biography of Jessica Mitford, and will probably succumb some time.

BabeRuthless Sun 10-Feb-13 11:37:51

For the love of all that is holy avoid Hitlers English Girlfriend by David Rehak. It's supposed to be his dramatic narrative about Unity Mitfords life and its utterly awful. I chanced across it at the library while waiting for the very kind librarian who'd gone looking "in the stacks" for Horror of Love which is about Nancy Mitford. I was a bit dubious but with it being a library book thought I had nothing to lose. How wrong I was. I've never read such utter shit in all my life.

More positively the Mary Lovell and Charlotte Mosely books are excellent. Just about to start Horror of Love.

Nata80 Fri 02-Aug-13 12:34:00

I have read A Life of Contrasts by Diana Mosley/Mitford and a biography of her by Anne de Courcy. Both excellent, well written books.

EasterHoliday Fri 02-Aug-13 12:38:10

dear god i've read all of these apart from Hitler's English G/F... obsessed. What about the other novels and Noblesse Oblige?

EasterHoliday Fri 02-Aug-13 12:39:14

(the Hugo Vickers Duchess of Windsor book is good, as is the Diana Moseley memoirs of Duch of Windsor)

hackmum Thu 15-Aug-13 09:02:48

Currently reading Harold Acton's "Nancy Mitford: The Biography Edited from Nancy Mitford's Letters" (99p in Kindle sale). It's OK but a bit disappointing - feels a bit cobbled together.

Louise1956 Fri 16-Aug-13 16:10:19

i Like Deborah Mitford's autobiography, 'Wait for Me!' and her collection of magazine articles 'All in One Basket.'. She is the nicest of the Mitford sisters I think.

My favourite Nancy Mitford novel is The Blessing, which I think is very amusing. I like the idea of the dreadful child who schemes to keep his parents apart, instead of wanting to get them together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now