Read a book from each country in Europe.

(131 Posts)
sonjadog Sun 04-May-14 18:32:47

I was just reading an article about someone who had a goal to read one book from each country in the world and it has inspired me to start my own project to read a book from each country in Europe.

I want to read a novel or a biography or something along those lines and it must be set on the country with an author from the country.

So, do you have a favourite author from your country? Do you have a book recommendation?

I'm thankful for all suggestions, even if you aren't from the country the book is from.

PetiteRaleuse Sun 04-May-14 18:35:15

Try Suite Francaise by Irene Nemerovsky (sp?) - a really interesting read about fleeing occupied France though sadly unfinished sad

RabbitPies Sun 04-May-14 18:38:59

From France I love Marcel Pagnol's books,especially Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources collectively known as L'eau des Collines. They won't be to everyone's tastes though.

I want to do this myself now.

Normalisavariantofcrazy Sun 04-May-14 18:41:22

Odessey from Greece

Kveta Sun 04-May-14 18:43:39

Milan kundera - the unbearable lightness of bonking being - set in Czech republic by a Czech author.

The Henning mankell wallender series are Swedish and set in Sweden iirc.

There was a book about a hare I read which was Finnish by a Finnish author.

AlexVause Sun 04-May-14 18:45:34

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, Sweden.

joanofarchitrave Sun 04-May-14 18:48:20

Brilliant idea, will read with interest smile

I don't have much to offer on this - I keep coming up with kids' books.

noblegiraffe Sun 04-May-14 18:49:59

Sophie's World, or The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder from Norway.

Uncle Petros and Goldbach's Conjecture by Apostolos Doxiadis from Greece.

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Sun 04-May-14 18:54:24

Lithuania - Between Shade of Grey by Ruta Sepetys. Amazing, tells of deportations to Siberia post WW2. Although I think the author is American it is based on her family's true story (as far as I can remember).

thanksamillion Sun 04-May-14 18:58:16

Hmm there aren't many books written by Moldovans and certainly not ones translated into English.

The closest you can get is probably Playing the Moldovan's At Tennis by Tony Hawkes who has kind of become an honorary Moldovan for his continued interest in the country.

DrankSangriaInThePark Sun 04-May-14 18:58:43

Requiem for a Spanish Peasant.

it's wonderful.

Or The Shadow of the Wind by Zafon.

Requiem is wonderful though.

DrankSangriaInThePark Sun 04-May-14 19:00:07
sonjadog Sun 04-May-14 19:00:28

Great suggestions so far! Thanks!

Shartibartfast Sun 04-May-14 19:03:09

This is going to be a pretty hopeless post, but there's a book by a Spanish author set in turn of the (last) century Barcelona - Juan something Zafon, I think, and the book is Shadow of the Wind (I think!)

There's Kate Mosse 's trilogy set around Carcassone, and how about Child 44 ( Tom Rob Smith) for Russia?

I seem to remember that Middlesex by Geoffrey Eugenidies was set partly in Greece..... Or it maybe another book if his. Sadly I left that one in a hotel room so never got round to finishing it!

thanksamillion Sun 04-May-14 19:07:54

Ooh there's a good one called Burying the Typewriter by Carmen Bugan from Romania which is all about growing up under Ceaucescu.

DrankSangriaInThePark Sun 04-May-14 19:07:58

Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Greece

Room With A View- Italy

Doctor Zhivago- Russia.

treaclesoda Sun 04-May-14 19:08:44

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova covers quite a few European countries, notably Hungary, although the author is American. Not sure if that counts, but it's a good read anyway!

DrankSangriaInThePark Sun 04-May-14 19:08:46

Don't read The Island or The Return by Victoria Hislop.

The Island is OK, but the Return is a pile o'shite.

kelda Sun 04-May-14 19:12:34

Cheating a bit, but Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson covers a lot of Europe.

I am lookinjg up belgian authors but not many of them have been translated to English.

BertieBotts Sun 04-May-14 19:15:59

It's a children's book but When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit is one of my favourite books of all time. Actually I didn't realise until I looked it up just now but it's autobiographical - the author was born German but had to leave because of Nazi persecution and now lives in Britain where she has been most of her life.

Kveta Sun 04-May-14 19:18:15

The year of the hare by arto paasilinna is the Finnish one. Lovely book.

znaika Sun 04-May-14 19:21:43

May I recommend a short story by Gogol called "Taras Bulba" a horrific and excellent read and very timely too- gives an insight into the mighty Ukrainian cossack spirit!

kelda Sun 04-May-14 19:26:59

Loads of Irish authors, Maeve Binchy, Marian Keyes, Frank McCourt.

Tenrec Sun 04-May-14 19:30:09

Does anyone have a good Latvian one? I recently found a few kid/nursery rhyme books which I was given by my birth mother, but no adult ones.

kelda Sun 04-May-14 19:32:54

Agatha Christie's Poirot and of course Tin Tin for Belgium. I have to admit, never read them myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now