Can anyone recommend any seriously funny reads please?

(56 Posts)
JuanPotatoTwo Fri 14-Mar-14 20:30:30

I've recently read The Wimbledon Poisoner by Nigel Williams which I thought was very funny. I'd forgotten quite how satisfying a book that can make you laugh out loud could be, so on the back of The Wimbledon Poisoner I read two other books by the same author but found them a bit disappointing.

Have you read anything properly funny that you would recommend? TIA?

DuchessofMalfi Sat 15-Mar-14 06:04:00

The Rosie Project - lots of laugh out loud scenes in there. Appealed to my sense of humour. And Non fiction - Love Nina by Nina Stibbe. Made me laugh. It's very light-hearted.

Others - Cold Comfort Farm, James Herriott's vet books, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

That's off the top of my head. Will try to think of more later smile

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

You Say Tomato, I Say Shut Up (forgot the author)

Sand in my Bra (Collection of travel stories)

runawaysimba Sat 15-Mar-14 06:37:56

Skippy Dies. Forget the author, but that was the last novel that made me proper laugh. Second Bill Bryson for non-fiction

contortionist Sat 15-Mar-14 06:40:38

The Eyre Affair, Jasper Fforde (now a series)

DuchessofMalfi Sat 15-Mar-14 08:19:46

Definitely Bill Bryson - Notes from a Small Island made me howl with laughter.

JuanPotatoTwo Sat 15-Mar-14 11:43:03

Thank you - will go and browse Amazon smile

AlpacaLypse Sat 15-Mar-14 11:44:25

E by Matt Beaumont. Had me in stitches.

Whatfun Sat 15-Mar-14 11:56:28

The Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich are laugh out loud funny IMO.

Deric Longden's books about his life with his first wife (who had ME, and died of it - the book has both laugh out loud moments, and tears), and with his second wife, Aileen Armitage and their family of cats - hilarious books.

sugarplumfairy Sat 15-Mar-14 12:29:17

Mark Haddon - A Spot of bother, had me laughing out loud.

BertieBotts Sat 15-Mar-14 12:31:16

Bill Bryson is great. Also Danny Wallace - Yes Man had me in fits (although the film was nowhere near as good.

Mil Millington books are good although it's a long time since I've read them. Love and Other Near Death Experiences is funny from memory.

BertieBotts Sat 15-Mar-14 12:31:52

And Things My Girlfriend and I have Argued About.

spiderlight Sat 15-Mar-14 12:36:04

The Timewaster Letters are brilliant.

David Sedaris, Me Talk Pretty One Day and Dress Your Family In Corduroy And Jeans. Proper laugh out loud funny.

MorrisZapp Sat 15-Mar-14 12:42:53

David Sedaris. Armistead Maupins Tales of the City.

David Lodges novels are sublimely funny, but in a witty way more than lolz.

DuchessofMalfi Sat 15-Mar-14 12:57:28

I find David Sedaris's humour a bit patchy at times. Doesn't always appeal to my sense of humour, when I read his books, but when I listen to him reading them that's completely different. I think he's best listened to on audiobook if you can get them. He had a series on Radio 4 fairly recently, which was when I first discovered him.

I've read two of his books - Naked, which I didn't like that much, and Let's Talk Diabetes With Owls, which is much funnier. I've got Me Talk Pretty One Day on my kindle, not read it yet.

MorrisZapp Sat 15-Mar-14 13:16:37

David Nobbs also very witty.

You don't have to be called David to be funny, but it clearly helps.

Oh, and Laurie Graham, she's hilarious and you learn stuff.

MorrisZapp Sat 15-Mar-14 13:18:08

David Nobbs also very witty.

You don't have to be called David to be funny, but it clearly helps.

Oh, and Laurie Graham, she's hilarious and you learn stuff.

MorrisZapp Sat 15-Mar-14 13:18:20

Gah

ProfondoRosso Sat 15-Mar-14 13:31:39

The last book which made me laugh out loud was the Alan Partridge autobiography, I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan grin

Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh is v funny too.

minniebar Sat 15-Mar-14 14:07:04

DEFINITELY The House of Sleep by Jonathan Coe. I'm not a laugh-out-loud reader but I couldn't help it with that book.

Second Jasper Fforde. Love him!

tripfiction Sat 15-Mar-14 15:33:09

Road to Rouen by Ben Hatch perhaps?

http://tripfiction.blogspot.ch/2013/07/travelling-with-tinies-around-france.html

IWorshipSatin Sat 15-Mar-14 15:37:15

My Booky Wook by Russell Brand. Regardless of what you think of him it is really funny.

David Baddiel's early novels (Time For Bed, Whatever Love Means) are funny but might be a bit dated now.

AnnabelJ13 Sat 15-Mar-14 18:13:59

I can recommend 'How to talk to a Widower' by Jonathon Tropper - totally hilarious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now