The husbands Secret by Lianne Moriaty

(32 Posts)
MrsDavidBowie Tue 11-Mar-14 20:02:28

I have just finished this and really enjoyed it.

JenJoWilson Tue 11-Mar-14 20:14:14

I read this a couple of months back and really enjoyed it. Great read.

MrsDavidBowie Tue 11-Mar-14 20:21:02

Have you read any more of hers?

MabelSideswipe Tue 11-Mar-14 20:33:30

I enjoyed it too and also What Alice Forgot by the same author.

Yea ive reas these. Chick lit but good.

JenJoWilson Tue 11-Mar-14 20:46:00

I haven't no, I'm glad you reminded me of this one though as I get through so many books on kindle I forget what I have read! I will have to have a look at some of her other books smile

Bananapud Tue 11-Mar-14 20:48:07

According to my kindle I got 22% through. If I wasn't gripped by that point should I stick with it? I am terrible at buying things on kindle and abandoning them at the moment!

INeedALieIn Tue 11-Mar-14 20:54:22

I read this a week ago on mumsnet recommendation. Easy read, I really liked it.

JenJoWilson Tue 11-Mar-14 21:31:16

Stick with it, I can't quite remember but I think it was a bit slow going at first!

DontHaveAtv Wed 12-Mar-14 10:07:57

I really enjoyed it. Nice easy read.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Wed 12-Mar-14 11:13:06

I really enjoyed this and all her other ones too.

I really liked this too.

BigAlfie1 Wed 12-Mar-14 13:02:12

The Husbabds Secret...... brilliant read !!! Also ready What Alice Forgot & just started The Hypnotists Love Story smile

BaconAndAvocado Thu 13-Mar-14 20:26:34

Great read. Won't win any awards but a good page turner nonetheless.

Acinonyx Fri 14-Mar-14 09:03:36

Me too - I enjoyed this one.

Elsiequadrille Fri 14-Mar-14 09:05:15

It was ok. A light enjoyable read.

RuddyDuck Fri 14-Mar-14 23:09:50

I thought it was awful. A friend recommended it and I had high expectations, but it really wasn't my sort of thing. I thought it was poorly written and trite. Couldn't care less about the characters and plot and I guessed what the secret was way before the big reveal ( and I don't usually work things out in advance).

FayeKorgasm Fri 14-Mar-14 23:19:01

I have to agree with Ruddy Duck.

It was poorly written and the plot/character development was weak. I really didn't find anything in it to enjoy.

Elsiequadrille Fri 14-Mar-14 23:38:05

I agree it was poorly written.

mmack Sun 23-Mar-14 17:50:23

I read it at the weekend and thought it was very well plotted. Recently I've read a few books with plot holes that really annoyed me, but I think Liane Moriarty did a great job with this. I loved the last chapter too-made it even sadder.

Pasithea Sun 23-Mar-14 18:31:59

I thought it was lame I'd worked it out less than a third of the way through.

Cheboludo Sun 23-Mar-14 18:47:33

For those who feel the book failed because the identity of the killer was obvious early on - I don't think it was ever meant to be a mystery/whodunnit. If the author had wanted it to be a surprise she wouldn't have called the book The Husband's Secret. I enjoyed the book and liked the fact that the reader had more information than the characters. It was an interesting look at the aftermath of crime, at whether self-interest wins over public interest and how people deal with grief and loss through the years.

isitsnowingyet Sun 23-Mar-14 18:56:32

I liked it too and can't agree that it was poorly written. If you want one that is poorly written get 'Fractured' by ?Danni someone or other - now that really was baaaad

mmack Sun 23-Mar-14 19:11:46

I agree with Chebuldo; the husband's secret is obvious from fairly early on but that doesn't take away from the story at all. I thought the character development was good-it was a good book about parenthood and family as well as everything else. I think sometimes books by women about women are unfairly dismissed as chick-lit. I liked this better than The Slap for example.

hollyisalovelyname Mon 07-Apr-14 20:36:42

It was ok. I liked the very end of it.
A bit better than your usual chick lit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now