Books that you've have felt gutted to finish as they were so good

(76 Posts)
sparklysilversequins Mon 23-Dec-13 18:48:19

You wanted them to carry on forever and you almost can't be bothered to read anything else because it won't be as good?

The last one I read was "The Help", I thought it was just brilliant. Another was "I Capture the castle".

I am reading Dr Sleep at the moment and quite enjoying it, I will read until the end anyway.

But what books have you adored?

Xmas2013SantaA7938 Mon 23-Dec-13 18:54:44

<peruses bookshelf>

Black Beauty (fave childhood read)
Jane Eyre
Schindler's Ark
Water for Elephants
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy
Cutting for Stone
Wolf Hall & Bring up the Bodies
Mister Pip
Atonement

If you liked The Help, try Mudbound. Can't remember the author, sorry.

sparklysilversequins Mon 23-Dec-13 18:55:50

Thanks I will take a look on Amazon smile.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 23-Dec-13 18:58:04

Stephen kings The Stand.

naturelover Mon 23-Dec-13 19:00:54

Recently: Boyd's Any Human Heart, Wolfe's I am Charlotte Simmons, Tartt's Secret History.

delbee Mon 23-Dec-13 19:01:15

The wronged sons by John marrs was fabsmile

Taffeta Mon 23-Dec-13 19:02:13

This year:

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Fingersmith

AphraBane Mon 23-Dec-13 19:03:50

Most recently: The Time Traveller's Wife. Surprised me, wasn't expecting it to be as good as that.

ivykaty44 Mon 23-Dec-13 19:04:46

aphra - ditto smile

naturelover Mon 23-Dec-13 19:05:04

Oh I forgot Fingersmith
Also The Crimson Petal and the White

If I scanned my bookshelves I'd find more I'm sure

CoteDAzur Mon 23-Dec-13 19:08:34

Jonathan Strange And Mr Norrell
This Thing Of Darkness
Cloud Atlas
Measuring The World

NotCitrus Mon 23-Dec-13 19:15:05

The Baroque Trilogy (Neal Stephenson),
Ursula le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness
The Glass Palace - Amritav Ghosh
Looking for TransWonderland - Noo Saro-Wiwa

waycat Tue 24-Dec-13 06:36:23

Me Before You, by Jo Jo Moyes.

I have recently read this following a friends recommendation, and I was so sad when it ended.

I thought the story was excellent, very touching in places, and the way it ended - although I kind of expected it - was still so well written I found it hard to read without feeling a bit tearful.

I wish I was still reading it now!!

MothershipG Tue 24-Dec-13 07:03:45

The Game of Thrones series, I read them one after another and by the end I was so engrossed in the character's struggles that I struggled to read anything else.

Mr Martin is frustratingly determined to work on other projects rather than devote himself exclusively to my need for more of the stories he has addicted me to! How dare he! wink

OneDayWhenIGrowUp Tue 24-Dec-13 07:15:00

Ken Follet's 'Fall of Giants' and 'Winter of the World'. They're a historical family saga (well about 5 families of different nationalities/social classes all intertwined together) set against 20th century world history. There's a third one but it's not out until next september.....can't wait, actually considering pre-ordering it in hardback!

Hopelass Tue 24-Dec-13 07:17:01

Hi OP if you liked "The Help" then "Rush Home Road" is also one I think you'd enjoy. I don't normally keep books to read again but this one I did! I also enjoyed "Me Before You" as per a previous poster. smile

Caught11 Tue 24-Dec-13 07:24:53

nearly finnished doctor sleep and I'm loving it. "when god was a rabbit" another favourite. My best book this year was the Night Circus, wanted to read it forever.

Patrick Ness trilogy which starts with "the knife of never letting go" is amazing. Truly amazing. You genuinely feel bereft at the end of the three, like ,you have lost family and friends.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Tue 24-Dec-13 07:35:10

Patrick Ness is something DS1's English teacher recommended to get him reading so we all have it on our Kindles at the moment.

I love the feeling of emerging back into reality after reading a good book - slightly fuzzy headed and disorientated but buzzing.

Blushingm Tue 24-Dec-13 17:13:10

The Sleep Room , not my usual thing but I wanted to carry on reading but it finished

sooperdooper Wed 25-Dec-13 10:27:54

The last book I read, The Vanishing if Esme Lennox, I could read it again straight away, beautiful and so sad

CuntWagon Thu 26-Dec-13 19:04:39

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
The Night Circus

stargirl1701 Thu 26-Dec-13 19:06:15

The Poisonwood Bible.

mmack Thu 26-Dec-13 19:11:10

Hopelass, I had almost forgotten Rush Home Road. I loved it too.

jimijack Thu 26-Dec-13 19:13:31

Angela's ashes by Frank McCourt. I've read it over and over and I'm always sad to finish it.

Anything by Bill Bryson, luckily he has loads of books so I never feel like they are ending.

Not my thing at all but enjoyed the Twilight books. Really surprised me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now